Seal Saver question

Stock gators don't neccessarily work "good" there no ticket! 🙂

I was getting ALOT of a dense dust in there, getting down below the dust wipers. That and SAND was getting up there, which will wreck your seals in a heartbeat.

From my personal experience, they have worked tons better than the boots. I just rolled the seal savers down the other day to check the seals, and after about 2 months of relativly dusty and sandy riding there was no debris beyond 1/2 inch of top of seal saver.

The long ones may be a good idea, as you get good slider and tube protection at once. :D

I took my KTM guards off and put the stock gators back on over the top of the seal savers. I ride in stony areas and was worried about stones being flicked up by the front tire and damaging the exposed rear of the forks. May be a little over the top now but should do a good job of protecting the seals and forks.

The only problems I see with the seal savers.

1)you have to put them on(no real problem, though.)

2)you have to clean them(or do you really have to?)

3)if you don't clean and dry them, do they start smelling? I've had neoprene stuff before and it can smell when it gets wet and nasty.

4)some say water and dirt gets inside them.....although it's probably is less that the stock boots that have holes....although the holes are below the seals.

5) and the biggest...... the stock boots protect well and the seals last nearly forever.

Aside from asthetics, and that's fine if you like the looks of Seal Savers and I DO actually like the looks of them OR you DON'T like the looks of fork boots, I don't see a real advantage to them at all..... IMHO.

If you are taking your boots off, for whatever reason, I'd certainly get some Seal Savers.

Is that why my garage smells like the local dive club locker room?!?! Actually, I haven’t had any smell issues…hose ‘em off like the rest of the bike…and they dry like the rest of the bike.

My experience with the stock boots…two blown seals due to rocks penetrating the flimsy plastic and leaving nicks on the tubes. I’ve had no issues with the seal savers; they provide better protection…IMO.

I run the Summers racing version of the tall boot. They work great! That way you save seals and tubes all in one. Arent the Seal Saver tall boots made for USD forks?? If so they would not fit snug. Not sure.... but mine fit like some good lookin panty hose.... 🙂

I'am thinking about installing the long yellow ones does anyone have the yellow ones and any pictures of them ,I seen a DRZ with yellow fork boots on and it made the bike look smaller or lighter sorta if ya konw what I mean . and does anyone know what size it is that we need for the "Z" bike ,save me going down and measureing them(DAM I"AM LAZY SOMETIMES 🙂)

Thanks in advance

IAN (LAZY BUGGA)

I changed mine out with a set of SRC seal savers (shop installed with gold valve job) and swear the bike came down with a case of 'stiction'. Checked after a month and had a ton of sand and crap in there. The zip ties were really tight so I didn't think anything would get in there. Found a couple 'holes' I'm sure were caused by more than a few get offs. The inside of the savers were wet, like your wet suit would be after a dive, so I just took the buggers off and went back to the accordians. Forks worked way better. Why bother?

I use the long SRC variety. Had 'em for over a year now. No, they don't bunch up, and yes they seem to keep the seal areas very clean. No seal failures. The other reason I like the longer ones: they protect the forks from roost and whatnot. But one of them has developed a hole. Any Ideas on what glue works on neoprene?

get liquid wetsuit. or whatever your local dive shop sells to repair wetsuits. They normally offer a bottle of liquide cement that drys just like neoprene. Stuff is awesome. If the hole is really big, you get the repair kit with patches like a tire partch, and use the liquid stuff to glue it on.