Cleaning an "O" Ring Chain

After riding in Kentucky for two days, I noticed my chain had a lot of crud build up, I use a power wash to clean and then WD40 + Chain WAX...

I am wondering if it would hurt the O-Rings if I took the chain off and placed it in a bucket of gas to clean then WD40 + Chain Was ?

🙂

It is not recomended that you wash it with a power sprayer. O-ring chain is meant to be sealed if you get water past the seals it will not easily come back out. Buy a Grundge Brush and and just use low pressure to wash(recomend that for the whole bike). You can use WD-40 to help remove the dirt.

If you take it off to soak it, don't use gas. It will dry out the seals faster. Use kerosen(sp) then scrub and wipe it down and hose it down with WD-40 and that's all. Chain wax doesn't do much for O-ring chains. Wax is better for non-O-ring. The only way to maybe get some oil past the seals is to let it soak in gear oil. You can warm it up a little to make it more viscous and flow past the seals.

hey al piv,

you should really think about not washing your bikes with a power washer. at the rider ed center i teach at we have to use power washers to wash the bikes down after our classes. in this situation we have to use a power washer because at any time we could be washing 10+ bikes. plus the bikes are used for one year and then cycled out.

i have personally seen the bikes degrade in small ways over the last year. the steering columns, chains, thottle tubes, basically any moving parts, all seem to bind up a lot more often. i have also noticed that the power washer seems to quicken the aging of the plastics and the process basically strips the bikes of any exposed oils and greese.

like i said, we have to use one because we are washing a lot of bikes at once and eventually they go away to get full service before going on the market.

i wash my bike with a garden hose and no nozzle. safe way to go.

Thanks, I guess the only reason I was using the power washer was due to the dirt collected around the chain, swing arm, rear wheel and sprockets due to the chain wax.

That is the last time I ask for advice from a shop and say " I am new to the sport so I am going to have to trust your recommendations." Yet now I know --- Thanks guys. 🙂

I agree. No power washing. Garden hose, dish soap, sponges and soft bristle brushes work good. Cork or cover up the exhaust outlet. Then go for a quick ride to heat things up and fling out some water. Then wipe it down and let it sit in the sun. Then WD-40 doush everything that moves or even looks at you funny.For basic maintinence, you can get as anal with the chain as much as you want(I used to clean things link by link with a brass bristle brush) mainly Lube it before and more importantly, right at the end of your ride when the chain is still hot.For a really good cleaning I think the kerosene soak, hot water rinse,dry and soak overnight in 90 wt. is good.Then go roost!!!

Skolly