Air Filter Cleaning

Id like to hear everyones opinion on what they use and don't use for cleaning their air filter. i use to use gasoline to clean the filter on my yz's, but i thought i read somewhere that the gasoline may be bad. I bought some PJ1 air filter cleaner for foam filters and im not exactly thrilled about it, seeing that after i washed it out i could see some areas that didnt get cleaned due to the type of nozle thay use on there bottle.

Eli

03 525sx

To many bikes for the garage to hold comfortably, it's like playing rubic cube to get one out. ๐Ÿ™‚

Dude, just use gas. Cheap, effective. Yeah, it makes the foam stiffer, but you should replace your filter every year or so anyway if you ride/race every weekend anyway. If you have two filters (or three like me) you can go like 3 years of gas cleaning without replacement.

Do not be concerned. All my family has cleaned with gas. From my cousin who raced and rode with Billy Laninovich, to my uncle who doesn't ride all that often, to me and my dad. No one in my family has ever had trouble with filters being affected by gas, despite decades of riding time between us all. (and they don't even replace their filters every year like I do!)

Get the No Toil system. You can wash out your filter in the kitchen sink. It works great. Light years ahead of the old Belray Blue Goo that I used for eons. It was a hassle washing out the filter with gas or mineral spirits. Been using No Toil for about two years now.

I still use gas and belray, too. I've had some of the same filters for 3 years washing them in gas and they have not begun to come apart. I toss them anyway after 2-3 seasons just to be safe. I rotate through about 5 of them at a time so I have plenty on long trips. Disposing of the gas is not a problem for me. Just make sure you're using the gas outside in a well ventilated area. Very dangerous way to go, no question there.

I use no-toil on my sons KDX. At least until I run out of it. Then I'll swap back. Seems like okay stuff and I'm sure I'd use it full time if I lived in a city but it's more hassle than gas and belray for *me*.

A little tip: I write the date I put them in service on the seal lip with a marker so I know which are newer.

I use the Twin Air bucket. It's set up like a "carb cleaner" bucket with a snap on lid. The Twin Air solvent works as well or BETTER than gas in my experiance....which surprised me. The cool thing is the bucket is always ready to go, unsnap the lid, wash filter....replace lid. No dirty gas to deal with...

FWIW - I used the No-Toil system for a year. I had one "batch" of filters ( I've got a bunch of bikes and I do filters in batches) and the "oil" never got sticky! That was it for me. I'm not willing to risk it. The Twin Air solvent will clean anybody's filter oil off. I use PJ1 spray on. ๐Ÿ™‚

Have always used good 'ol parts cleaning solvent (naptha solvent) to clean foam air filters. Similar to Kerosene, but better/safer IMO. It's the same stuff used in parts washers (ala Safety-Kleen) in auto repair garages. Cheap ($2/gallon), safer than gas or fuel, far less volatile, not flammable (disclaimer: anything will burn at high enough temp, even motor oil), won't eat your hands/skin (I use gloves anyway), naptha doesn't attack the open-cell urethane foam like gas and some other solvents can. Sometimes you gotta shop around a little to find it, though. Great stuff for any degreasing tasks, including a rag wet with it for chain wipe-downs.

For air filter cleaning, I keep a couple quarts in a plastic gallon bucket with a lid (old Tide detergent bucket), and re-use it several times.

Immerse the foam filter in the solvent, squeeze it like a sponge several times, oil and grit dissolve out quickly and throughly. Dab/blot the filter with paper towels (don't wring), then use a hair dryer to rapidly dry off the remaining solvent (looks cool watching the hot air dry off naptha evap -- like shooting steam ๐Ÿ™‚). The filter's clean and dry with no residue, ready for oil treatment.

Jon

'02 KTM 520EXC

Oh yeah...when the naptha gets too dirty, I dispose of it in an "environmentally responsible manner" :D

Local landfill has a department that takes household chemicals (used antifreeze, paint, solvents, etc.).

Go with the mineral turps as it will not harm any filter foams, it evaporates very rapidly without leaving any residue, eliminating the need to wash out further with a detergent unlike kerosene or petrol (gas). Some foams are extremely affected by washing out in gas, one genuine kawasaki foam filter I once had used to stretch to nearly double it's size with gas but not with mineral turpentine. You can also let the turps settle out after cleaning and decant the clean stuff of the top an re-use it again!

Hope this helps

Head to the paint dept of your local hardware store. It is used as an enamel paint thinner as well as for clean-up. The label name is Mineral Turpentine. I have used it for a few years now and am happy with the results.

I'm not certain of the difference between "turps" and what is normally called paint "thinners".

I think "thinners" is a different receipe used in auto paint.

I STRONGLY suggest you buy the Twin-Air filter cleaner kit...it comes in a box. It has a bucket with a lid to put in and wash your dirty filters and a smaller bucket for your clean and oiled filters.

Buy and have 2 or 3 filters at all times. When you get done riding, take out the dirty one, throw it into the Twin-Air bucket and put the lid on. Then grab a clean one from the smaller bucket (of fresh filters) and put it in...you're done.

While they're (the dirty filters) sitting in the "dirty filter" bucket, they're getting somewhat agitated and washed while it's bouncing around and vibrating in the back of your truck when driving to and from riding...so it's almost clean by the time you get to actually washing it out.

Once all your filters are dirty, you wash them all at once in the bigger bucket (the kit comes with filter cleaning solvent) then oil them and put them into the smaller bucket and you're done for a few rides or until you run out of filters.

EngIceDave, thanks for the idea, i will look into it. It sounds like you have got it figured out when it comes to cleaning your air filters. Do you remember how much it costs and were you bought it.

Eli

03 525sx

And a collection of others.

"If you feel like you are in total control then you are probably going to slow." Mario Andretti