08 huskies, keep a close eye on the airbox

On my 08 TE510 the exhaust is only about .150" away from the corner of my airbox. It only has 3 miles on it and I can see where the airbox is starting to melt. I put some reflective aluminum tape on it, but I don't think that will be enough. I will have to put some kind of heat sheild on the airbox.:cool: Ken

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aluminum foil tape isn't the same as a heat shield adhesive, etc. You want a ceramic heat shield kinda tape.

From the thumpertalk store - helix heat shield tape...

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Tucker_Rocky_Offroad_2007/default.asp?p=31

I also saw the aussie with the hole in his airbox and already ordered this in case my txc510 needs it. You can also loosen up all the pipe mounts and shift the pipe away from the airbox. Loosen the airbox bolts and shift it as far upward as possible... And then I suppose you can fudge with the subframe. A little time with a "round file" on the bolt holes for the airbox (or maybe the pipe mount, etc.) might be required.

With regards to "how this could happen" - you've got several parts involved and each have tolerances - the assembly guy should keep an eye on it - but they are a little late in getting these out, and they might be under a tad bit of pressure...

jeff

. You can also loosen up all the pipe mounts and shift the pipe away from the airbox. Loosen the airbox bolts and shift it as far upward as possible... And then I suppose you can fudge with the subframe. A little time with a "round file" on the bolt holes for the airbox (or maybe the pipe mount, etc.) might be required.

jeff

That's what I was thinking, might be all that's needed.

Aluminum tape will dissapate the heat across its surface area and will help. That "moto tile" stuff is way thicker and would be better, if it will fit.

Is it possible to heat-wrap the pipe there also? That would also help.

are you running the stock mufler? my dealer says it will make it run hotter

Yep. It is the catalytic converter on the stock pipe that is the "heater". Notice the heat shield around the can. Switching to the optional performance pipe should result in much lower temps in this area.

jeff

When I had my Cannondale heat off the rear exiting pipe was a problem like this. It passed real close to the aluminum frame spar...which coincidentally was the engine oil reservoir:bonk:

Car "hot rod" shops carry something called "header wrap" which is like fiberglass cloth woven into a strip. I'm pretty sure that a strip of that around...or between your pipe and air box will fix you up. It did for me on the 'Dale.

One problem though...the stuff ain't cheap and (as far as I know) only comes in a roll that will be way, way more than you ever need to do the job. I was lucky to have a "motor head" employee who gave me a left over strip of it.

When I had my Cannondale heat off the rear exiting pipe was a problem like this. It passed real close to the aluminum frame spar...which coincidentally was the engine oil reservoir:bonk:

Car "hot rod" shops carry something called "header wrap" which is like fiberglass cloth woven into a strip. I'm pretty sure that a strip of that around...or between your pipe and air box will fix you up. It did for me on the 'Dale.

One problem though...the stuff ain't cheap and (as far as I know) only comes in a roll that will be way, way more than you ever need to do the job. I was lucky to have a "motor head" employee who gave me a left over strip of it.

The pipe wrap can be found at the same link in the thumpertalk store that I gave above. And yep - it comes in 50 foot rolls.

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Tucker_Rocky_Offroad_2007/default.asp?p=31

Look in the bottom right hand corner of the page.

jeff

Add me to the header wrap lobby.

I've been using header wrap on my '06 for quite some time now. Keeps my pants and boots from getting burned. I liked the look of it over the aftermarket pipe guards, and it works very well.

You usually do have to buy a lifetime sized 50 foot roll, that's true. Regular washings, mud and abrasion take it's toll on the stuff after a while. It will start to look a little 'wooly' and you'll want to take a few minutes to replace it with a fresh wrap from time to time. I'm probably on my 3rd wrap in the last 2 seasons.

IMG_1766.jpg

paul

We are taking the stock pipe off {1 spring 2 bolts} and marking the close spots ,then we carefullly heat them up red with the torch and tap in on the area ,it makes a nice clean fix lots of clearance and doesnt hamper flow at all,we do it at set up here.You can not see it even if your not an expert with a ball peen so carefully swing away.

I went to N BMW of Colorado, now also a Husky dealer to have a look. They had all but the 610 on the floor. Nice looking bikes for sure. I took a look at the airbox that you speak of and your right.... WOW that dose not look good.

I use Helix Aluminized heat barriers on my 525 gas tank and works very well. here is a link. http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2014899/p-2014899/N-111+10113+4294964968/c-10113

Just got my TE510 and I am in the break in period. After reading this thread I went and looked at the Air Box and it is definitely melting. This should be a warantee issue and is most certainly a design flaw. I was scared about buying this bike due to it being a quantum shift in technology and the fact I had a really bad experience with the 2000 TE I owned. Having an obvious flaw like this in a production bike does not bode well for other things. I hope I am wrong and I hope Husky steps up with a real fix.