13oz weight w/ rekluse(standard)

Why would you need extra weight with the Rekluse?
The engine pulls more smoothly at low RPM with more weight. I have the Off-Road GYT-R on my own '06, and it makes a difference. One thing here is that your perspective is that of a 426 rider. That bike, as light as the rotating mass seems to an old school guy like me, still has more crank/flywheel inertia that the YZ450 in any year model. On the 450, it can only make things better. I don't see any measurable or perceived loss in performance with the weigh at all.

The Rekluse adds 6 oz of flywheel effect to the bike, so I didn't think any additional weight was necessary (even with the 450's).

Without an auto-clutch I can see where a flywheel weight would be a benefit, but the Rekluse will slip the clutch and let the bike lug without stalling.

Honestly, I could probably use a little less flywheel on my bike. The 444 kit makes it a little slower to rev than the stock bore.

The Rekluse adds 6 oz of flywheel effect to the bike, so I didn't think any additional weight was necessary (even with the 450's).
Unless the Rekluse weighs something like 32 ounces more than the components it replaces, it can't add that much weight. This is because the added weight of the clutch acts on the crank only through a reduction gear with a 2.626:1 ratio, and turns 2.6 times slower. It is therefore easier for the engine to accelerate the additional weight, much more difficult for the inertia mass of the clutch to drive the crank on coast, and the lower speed at which it spins reduces its inertia exponentially.

I originally purchased my 13oz weight for flat track racing, to help tame the wheel-spin (as stated before, this is an '02 YZ250 2t). I later began to race the bike in supermoto, with and w/out the weight. I left it reinstalled (once again) to help tame wheel spin.

To be able to run next to the largest machines, I bored and stroked it to a 300, and again, tried the bike with and w/out. I preferred the feel of the weight, making it more tractable, however, there was still the pesky wheel-spin.

I decided to try the Rekluse as a way to try and tune out the wheel-spin, w/out having to play w/ the clutch. It's fantastic.

Again, I tried the bike with and w/out the weight, and opted to reinstall the weight.

I'm just going to spitball here, but for 4t bikes, I don't believe I'd see a need for more weight unless I was doing East Coast type single track w/ the mud, roots, and technical wet rocky sections. I've ridden my 525, and few 450s in the desert out here, and they seem fine as is.

YMMV

Without an auto-clutch I can see where a flywheel weight would be a benefit, but the Rekluse will slip the clutch and let the bike lug without stalling.

Honestly, I could probably use a little less flywheel on my bike. The 444 kit makes it a little slower to rev than the stock bore.

The perceived benefit for me, is that the bike doesn't rev into and through the engagement so quickly. You're probably right...........your 4t most likely doesn't need it.

Unless the Rekluse weighs something like 32 ounces more than the components it replaces, it can't add that much weight. This is because the added weight of the clutch acts on the crank only through a reduction gear with a 2.626:1 ratio, and turns 2.6 times slower. It is therefore easier for the engine to accelerate the additional weight, much more difficult for the inertia mass of the clutch to drive the crank on coast, and the lower speed at which it spins reduces its inertia exponentially.

I'm not sure how heavy it is. Its significantly heavier than the stock pressure plate. 5 of the 30 balls weighs more than the pressure plate. Rekluse is who told me it adds 6 oz of flywheel effect.

It does make a noticeable difference in how fast the bike revs. :cool:

al from rekluse once told me it adds around 6oz actual and about 2 oz of perceived fww:thumbsup: i run mine with a +6 on my 05 450 and am quite happy,if it gets real sloppy i just dial in more traction control on the vortex

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I had an 8oz with a rekluse pro on my 07 rm250 and it was gutless pulling up hills, had to work the clutch to get it up to speed. The flywheel weight came off for sure and even with the rekluse, I still would like it to be snappier again, so I am debating the necessity of the rekluse at this time...