MXA 2008 450 shootout

The online version of MXA is out with the shootout. RMZ last. Plus, center engine case cracked after 6 hours. Wonder if this has anything to do with pushing the release date back to March.

A large dealer in Ohio told me a month ago they would be delayed because the kick starter wasn't contacting the footpeg.

Guess I'll keep my old bike another year.

The online version of MXA is out with the shootout. RMZ last. Plus, center engine case cracked after 6 hours. Wonder if this has anything to do with pushing the release date back to March.

A large dealer in Ohio told me a month ago they would be delayed because the kick starter wasn't contacting the footpeg.

Guess I'll keep my old bike another year.

Why was it last?

Ignition timing and the fuel go hand in hand, it would be a failure if either of the two are not functioning correctly. So it's still considered rushed.

haha you wanna explain how it goes hand in hand? Ignition systems are basically completely isolated from the efi and the injection system doesnt have any effect on the timing. Other than they are controlled in the same ecm the ignition doesnt know if its efi or carbed, its just gonna be controlled by a source coil, pulser coil, and an scr. The efi usually even uses a different set of input sensors in the mag for fo rpm pickup.

Read the article yesterday. It sounds like Suzuki may have pulled the project ahead a year just so that they would be the first to market. Clearly the ignition map was not what it should be when MXA tested it.

Beyond all that, they really liked the chassis, but the forks not so much. They said that it had more power than a YZF, but because it didn't rev out like all the others then they severely down graded the power curve.

So I suspect that if you like to short shift and dive for the inside line, the '08 will be even better for you. If you like to pin and hang on like a KTM or KXF rider then you will most likely not like the bike.

Yes, it did back fire and break the right center case. The idle gear ripped out ~ not good. So maybe with an updated ignition program, it'll be all that we hoped for...

the ignition timing problem contributes to the idle gear blowing the case... also the shift forks are having problems, all are the reasoning for the delayed delivery... BETTER LATE THEN NEVER. atleast they arent sending them out and doing a recall... better to catch it now and fix it then let customers get it, have it break, get all pissed off, wait forever to get it fixed, then have to ride a bike knowing something major has already happened.

ugh. Suzuki. why? why? why? I just can't get behind a company that has a problem like this. :busted: all the bikes have their issues but dang, I just can't see trusting these without a some sort of warranty which would never happen. it's going to take quite a bike in '09 to win back customers. could you imagine trying to sell this after a couple of years? you wouldn't get squat. was going to wait to buy a bike in March anyway so I really didn't care about the delay but after reading all this, I'm buying a yzf or crf. :worthy:

• Like 1

haha you wanna explain how it goes hand in hand? Ignition systems are basically completely isolated from the efi and the injection system doesnt have any effect on the timing. Other than they are controlled in the same ecm the ignition doesnt know if its efi or carbed, its just gonna be controlled by a source coil, pulser coil, and an scr. The efi usually even uses a different set of input sensors in the mag for fo rpm pickup.

Notice how I said hand in hand and not "related" as you are making it out to be. I'm not sure what your definition of hand in hand is but to me its that two pieces working together towards one common goal, which in this case is the creation of power through fuel and spark, with X amount of air. Tuning bikes is no different than tuning cars. Always got to get your fuel curves and timing maps setup properly or its running rich, boggy, or detonation time yo.

Look at the bright side. When the 09 comes out there will be loads of brand new leftover 08's that have been fixed on showroom floors for sale butt cheap. I'll buy one! I was ready to buy the 08 in Jan, but now I can just wait a few more weeks after the 08s finally do come for the 09 to come out and save myself a G or two. :busted:

If it was my 7 grand I'd be saying BETTER RED, GREEN, BLUE, ORANGE THAN YELLOW. If you ask me (and nobody has) Suzuki should give some type of warranty (at least 30-days) with these things. Or maybe they should give everyone a free center case and a set of shift forks with every purchase.....

the ignition timing problem contributes to the idle gear blowing the case... also the shift forks are having problems, all are the reasoning for the delayed delivery... BETTER LATE THEN NEVER. atleast they arent sending them out and doing a recall... better to catch it now and fix it then let customers get it, have it break, get all pissed off, wait forever to get it fixed, then have to ride a bike knowing something major has already happened.

I'm starting to have issues with the MXA test. Dirt Rider (and Dirt Bike) has a test on it as well and they mention several things that MXA did not. One is that Suzuki put a higher ratio gear set in the kicking mechanism. This is so that it'll get a little extra spin on the engine and help with producing more energy to get the electrics going. They also beefed up the generator.

As a result, their bike had a "sticking" point where the kicker on occasion locked up. The trick was to tap the kicker a couple times to spin the engine past that point and then it fired every time. If the MXA rider did not do this, but instead just did a full body jump down on the kicker, that alone could explain the breakage. And MXA never mentioned that a back fire caused their break.

Dirt Rider also never mentioned anything about an excessive rev limiter problem that MXA talks about. They just accepted that the bike was a torquer not a rev'er and rode it like that. And by riding it like Suzuki engineered, it was a very fast and capable machine.

So really, it sounds like the MXA test squad spent the day beating on it and riding it like it wasn't designed to be ridden. The fact that they broke it in the end doesn't surprise me at that point.

Yes, in case your wondering, I've written a letter to MXA expressing those exact feelings.

I'm starting to have issues with the MXA test. Dirt Rider (and Dirt Bike) has a test on it as well and they mention several things that MXA did not. One is that Suzuki put a higher ratio gear set in the kicking mechanism. This is so that it'll get a little extra spin on the engine and help with producing more energy to get the electrics going. They also beefed up the generator.

As a result, their bike had a "sticking" point where the kicker on occasion locked up. The trick was to tap the kicker a couple times to spin the engine past that point and then it fired every time. If the MXA rider did not do this, but instead just did a full body jump down on the kicker, that alone could explain the breakage. And MXA never mentioned that a back fire caused their break.

Dirt Rider also never mentioned anything about an excessive rev limiter problem that MXA talks about. They just accepted that the bike was a torquer not a rev'er and rode it like that. And by riding it like Suzuki engineered, it was a very fast and capable machine.

So really, it sounds like the MXA test squad spent the day beating on it and riding it like it wasn't designed to be ridden. The fact that they broke it in the end doesn't surprise me at that point.

Yes, in case your wondering, I've written a letter to MXA expressing those exact feelings.

I think your in denial. People bag their bikes everyday and dont brake stuff.

I read denial too. There's no way a brand new (6 hrs. on bike) bike should have broken during a shootout. MXA did nothing that would cause this and it's not an isolated incident. There's no excuse and anyone who is even slightly objective would be able to see that. People need to stop endorsing bad products just because of brand loyalty. Call it like you see it.

I read denial too. There's no way a brand new (6 hrs. on bike) bike should have broken during a shootout. MXA did nothing that would cause this and it's not an isolated incident. There's no excuse and anyone who is even slightly objective would be able to see that. People need to stop endorsing bad products just because of brand loyalty. Call it like you see it.

Denial??, not even close.

I'm not pulling any punches here, but how many CRF owners here claim that there's no problem with their bikes, when they are actually constantly dealing with valve issues? And what about YZF owners talking about how well their bikes handle when in fact an overloaded semi could corner just as well??

Better yet, how about people that really don't like a particular brand troll their forum just trying to stir things up? Honestly, I've owned all four brands that Japan has to offer, and they all have issues to some degree. But to constantly troll another site and post BS all day is really low.

Bottom line guys, unless you have something positive to add to a thread after you've read all the postings, it's just better if you keep moving on.

Say what you want positive or negative about the 08 Suzuki....but this bike is so plaged with problems for a first year attempt that Suzuki will not even release them way after they have been assembled. I applaud them for this, as liability from failures and accidents are not what is in Suzuki's best interest. Ironically this reminds me of the TM400 from the 1970s. I hate mag bike test also, too many different variables to be 100% objective, but come on...there is a inherent problem here. Releasing the 08s to proracers is one thing...releasing them to the general masses is another, as most TM400 owners found out....Hello, anyone else remember this?

This 08 is completely different than any previous RMZ and in my opinion should have been released as a 09 to work all this crap out before production runs. The potential is there.....just not yet :busted: