'05 YZ & WR Suspension

Conceptually, off-road bikes are set up with lower spring rates and "softer" valving than MX bikes, which are intended to be capable of landing huge jumps and running at higher speeds over bigger obstacles. The WR rear shock is the same basic unit as a YZ, but it's set up differently.

The fork is another matter. Not only is it a different concept from a setup standpoint, since the '05 models it's been the same old, single chamber fork that was last used on the YZ450 in '04, and the '06 and later YZ fork is enormously more sophisticated.

Conceptually, off-road bikes are set up with lower spring rates and "softer" valving than MX bikes, which are intended to be capable of landing huge jumps and running at higher speeds over bigger obstacles. The WR rear shock is the same basic unit as a YZ, but it's set up differently.

The fork is another matter. Not only is it a different concept from a setup standpoint, since the '05 models it's been the same old, single chamber fork that was last used on the YZ450 in '04, and the '06 and later YZ fork is enormously more sophisticated.

the 05/06 wr shock is 3mm shorter than the yz stuff and in 06 the wr shock has a interesting feature that i'm not sure if it was a one off or carried on to 07/08, but for 06 the yz shock went to the larger shaft and reservoir;the 06 wr shock retained the smaller shaft but included the larger reservoir which made for more compliance offroad....i had put a 06 wr frame on my 05 yz stuff last spring for the geometry changes which allowed better turning in the tight stuff,i knew the yz shock was longer and figured that it would help it to turn better(much like the storm link)i found later it was just too much and had to buy a 06 wr shock;and i gotta tell ya the 06 wr shock is the best offroad shock i've ever ridden:thumbsup: