Sign in to follow this  

Kx450f Help Please

G'day all,

I'm new to Kawasaki's and 450's.

I just picked up a 06 KX450F 2nd hand.

Havent had time to ride it yet as I have a 2 week old Son who is keeping me busy. Have started her up a few times and it will idle ok and then start idling really fast and after a few minutes clonk out.

I think it's flooding itself. The little allen key overflow valve and tube at the bottom of the carby is shut (should it be??). So I open it up, let the fuel run out, close it then start it again and it does the same thing again. If I leave the valve open fuel just pures out as soon as I turn the fuel 'on'.

I thought the idling might have been the throttle cable, but lubed them up and wasnt the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Tommo.

Hanging idle, I had the same problem. Messed with the fuel screw and it helped, but you might also have to re-jet it or something. I also realized I accidently left my choke out for a while and it was part of, if not all, of the problem. Check out hanging idle threads

Idle hangs a little high after chopping the throttle then comes down? This would mean lean. Just go a little out(counter clock wise) on the fuel screw.

Thanks fellers, will give it a go.

It ends up flooding in the end though?? Should the overflow valve tube thing on the carb be open or closed??

Thanks a heap.

Which Way Do Ya Turn The Idle Screw To Make Less Fuel In The Carb?? Its Flooding Itself Now.

And Should The Vavle At The Bottom Of The Carb Be Open Or Closed?

If Someone Could Check That Would Be Great.

Which Way Do Ya Turn The Idle Screw To Make Less Fuel In The Carb?? Its Flooding Itself Now.

And Should The Vavle At The Bottom Of The Carb Be Open Or Closed?

If Someone Could Check That Would Be Great.

OK the Valve on the bottom should be closed, It's just to drain the bowl.

As far as the Fuel screw it's out to be richer and in to lean. Sounds like you need to go out.

I don't mean to be obvious but is the choke pulled out? the choke is difficult to get to or even see because it is behind the frame and usually can only be reached with one finger.