250X Gas Overflow

I bought a used '06 250X, no mods I am aware of.

It is hard to start cold, but it seems to run OK.

During a days ride the idle slowly gets higher and higher.

And on the trailer ride home fuel comes out of

the over flow.

I don't think this is normal, any suggestions?

Thank you.

I bought a used '06 250X, no mods I am aware of.

It is hard to start cold, but it seems to run OK.

During a days ride the idle slowly gets higher and higher.

And on the trailer ride home fuel comes out of

the over flow.

I don't think this is normal, any suggestions?

Thank you.

It seems that you may be having a little bit of float valve trouble. That will give the symptoms you describe. OTOH, if you are leaving your gas turned on while trailering, then spilling gas all over the place is normal, but not suggested. In case your carb is a little dirty, doing a spot cleaning of your carb is pretty easy and fast:

Turn off the gas and pop off the fuel line at the tank. Drain the gas from the float bowl using drain screw. Spray a bunch of carb cleaner right down the tube - try to fill up the bowl. Re-connect the gas tank and turn the gas on. Leave it sit for an hour, turn the gas off, and drain the carb bowl to remove the cleaner. Close the drain screw, turn on the gas, and you're back in business.

JayC

turn off your gas when travelling .. The bumpes inthe road make your float bounce up and down in the carb ...making it toohigh of a level inside and forcing it to come out the overflow. Very normal... Your bike is probably so lean because it is in total stock form. jetted a bit richer and that idle problem and hard to start cold will disappear.