Sign in to follow this  

Akrapovic Evolution - Homemade expansion chamber?

Is anyone running the Akrapovic Evolution exhaust with the "optional chamber" for noise reduction and improved low-end power? I have started seeing these chambers on more and more factory bikes, and they seem to offer the same advantages as an FMF megabomb, but without burning your pants.

Also (to illustrate exactly how bored I am this winter), does anyone think you could make your own auxillary chamber to weld onto a stock header? I mean if I took my old stock header that is collecting dust on my shelf, and found a buddy that was a good welder, I wonder what it would take to fab up a simple tube with capped ends, drill a couple of holes in the header pipe, and weld it up? It might be a hack job, but with nothing to lose and the potentional to gain a little snap and quiet the sound a bit, I wonder if it's worth a try?

http://www.akrapovic.net/product-lines/off-road-program/evolution-line/

You would think that the exhaust flow would go straight through instead of UP into that chamber... The Megabomb is more linear in "flow" design. :cool:

GYTR has a similarly designed header. It must work so why not try it? :applause:

GYT-2S293-50-30-500.jpg

tell me that don't look like a "boost bottle" from a 2smoke circa 1981ish.

and at the same time look pretty darn cheap too.

cb, i think the key points are: how big is the opening, how big is the exit, how big is the cylinder and where it goes on the head pipe (ie placement)?

Where are the entrance/exit holes on those canisters (they're hard to see)? How will the gas travel, i.e., how do you know which hole is used as the entrance and/or exit point? :busted:

evolution.jpg