Sign in to follow this  

dirtbiker gone quad

I've ridden bikes and quads my entire life. However, my weapon of choice today is a Suzuki 2-smoker Quad Racer:

BottsWknd004.jpg

Very nice machine. I used to have one only it was an '86?

What's the hardest part about riding a quad???

Telling your parents that you're gay....

j/k, ride whatever works for you. Just do it responsibly...

OK that is funny.

• Like 1

I have the best of both worlds. I ride MY WR450F in the desert but when we go to the dunes or the cinders I spend a good portion of time on my WIFES 700 Raptor. Some places training wheels are just a little more fun.

I know the board is mostly 2-wheelers, but I always thought a "Thumper" was a 4-stroke motor...please educate me.

I see your point its not much fun waiting for quads to catch up with you.I would however wait to make sure the friends you want to ride with get quads as well.Were I ride I would'nt enjoy a quad to much,tight trails and the quad just would not be able to go fast enough for me on those trails.

I ride both YFZ450 & YZ450F I ride my quad mostly in the dunes Bike is a lot harder to ride in dunes(yes I am Old). But if you can keep your bike pick up a quad it is great having both to ride I will never give up my bike:ride:

I'm not sure if you're saying you put a leg down to catch yourself when riding (in which case you have some technique issues), or whether you are just complaining about having to hold yourself up at a dead stop (in which case you are kinda coming across like a weak pansy).

You've never really given me that impression before, so I'm probably just misinterpreting what you're saying. Maybe you could clarify.

On the age thing, that might be a good point. True story, while I was having lunch partway through 5-miles-of-hell, a 69 year old guy (who can ride the whole trail without any assistance) volunteered that he was not as down on quads as he used to be. He figured in another 20-30 years he might be on one.

Lol, anyway, who cares. As long as the quads stay off the singletrack, it's all good fun.

Come across as a weak panzy?

I broke my knee in 3 places 2 years ago, tore my PCL, and was in the hospital a while.

Took over 3 months before the swelling went down, and I don't go a day without pain..

I wake up in pain, I walk in pain, I ride in pain. Its constant pain.

I'm just only 22, and I know by the time I'm 30 this is probably gonna be unbarable.. I hope my pain doesn't get any worse.. Right now its just occasional bad pain, but It always aches..

I'm not looking forward to the day when my knee doesn't do shit for me :ride:

edit: on a good note though.. Pretty much everytime me and my friend park, I always instantly jump off my bike and kick him off his quad so I can sit my happy ass down haha :busted:

edit: what I think is hilarious, is people that say stuff like "if my friend had a quad, I woudlnt' ride with him"

get over it! Your really gonna ditch your friend because he enjoys another vehical?

Hell if one of my friends showed up on a offroad go-cart, I'd still ride with him.. Sure I'm not gonna ever buy a go-cart, and I'd never be caught in the trails on one... But that doesn't mean I think i'm better then him and I wont ride with him lmao

All my good friends ride quads.. And all our local trails are quad trails, so we all keep up with eachother... If I follow them, I'm right behind them, if htey follow me, they are right behind me..

It seems like every dirt biker around here, thinks hes better hten everyone else (when I say around here, I mean my home town not Thumpertalk lol)

When I show up with no chest protector, or $500 boots, they just run their mouths about how great they are... lol

Yet 9 times outa 10 they are slower then me, and don't jump as high on me, and this is all on my 150f and/or crf 50 LMAO :worthy:

• Like 1

I've ridden bikes and quads my entire life. However, my weapon of choice today is a Suzuki 2-smoker Quad Racer:

BottsWknd004.jpg

HOly crap man that thing is BEAUTIFUL. What did you do, keep it in a crate for 20 years?

I know i'm going to get made fun of by alot of dirtbikers but I don't care.

I've been riding bikes for almost 20 years, mostly off-road. I occasionaly race, but nothing serious. All my friends have either switched or are planning to switch to quads. I can see how quads can be just as fun in most situations, but I can't afford to buy something I wont like.

My question is, has any body done the switch and liked it? Hated it?

I rode bikes from 73 - 95 and loved every bit of it...got out of riding all together, got back into it with a different "crowd" who all bought quads so we followed suit. Met up with my original friends who ride bikes, took me on a ride where it consisted of a lot of narrow trails lined with boulders and pucker bushes requiring me to shift weight, balance, slide, etc...(a lot of extra work) in the mean time they're leaving me in the dust. That sealed it, i put my quad in the shed and bought a bike and have been happy ever since.:busted: Don't get me wrong, quads are fun but are heavy, wide, etc...AND take up twice as much room as a bike when loading!:worthy:

I know the board is mostly 2-wheelers, but I always thought a "Thumper" was a 4-stroke motor...please educate me.
Thumpertalk started when performance 4 stroke just started to emerge in MX and was still the outsider.

I grew up on three wheelers then quads and now bikes. I think the best all around quad I had was a yfz450. Power to get you anywhere and fast enough to keep up with stock Banshees.

I do miss the quads a little. If I had the choice I would have a big enclosed trailer with a YFZ450, a Banshee, a YZ250, and a YZF450. They are all fun bikes. Haven't hit the lotto yet though.

HOly crap man that thing is BEAUTIFUL. What did you do, keep it in a crate for 20 years?

HA! Thanks for the feedback, Buddy. As a matter of fact, I found her on eBay back in September down in Texas (I'm in Pennsylvania). The original owner received the 1991 Quad Racer as a graduation gift for successfully navigating his way through high school. He was a motocross rider and wasn't into quads so it sat while he went away to college. By the time college was over he realized that he had a bit of a collectors item on hand because Suzuki pulled the plug on the 2-smoke Quad Racer in 1992 so he never rode it. He finally broke down and decided to sell it in all original, unadulterated condition in the fall of last year. I happened to have just sold my KX500 and was in the market for a 2-smoke ATV so I hopped on it. Best machine I've ever owned. Mint condition and reminds me of my childhood. Good times.

I switched from quads to bikes. i get more of a rush on the bike and i feel safer. I do a lot of hill climbing, and on a quad a hill climb can be do or die. make the hill, or the thing comes back on u and either crushes you and/or smashes itself. on a bike, you can lay it on the side or, if u loop out, it's prob not going to crush u. Plus, any moron with two arms and eye sight can ride a quad. which is why there are so many. Being a good dirtbike rider actually means you have some skill. Also, i've found that by design there are just more possibilities on a bike. They require less space to operate, can tackle steeper hills, jump or land on uneven surfaces, hop downed trees or cliffs that are too high for quads etc etc.

only better thing about quads is you can ride them longer into the winter months, and you end up on your ass less in wet/muddy conditions.

oh yeah, also the two-wheeled configuration is hands down better for one important reason: the only thing that gets wet when you hit water are your feet. Sometimes the whooped out trails here turn into puddles, and its like whoops with water in them. I can hit them full speed like the water isn't there. but then i have to wait because my quader buddies are putting around them not to get wet. and if they hit the water at my speed they could go over the bars. bikes knife through water, quads hit it like a wall.

dirtbikes, quads, three wheelers, go carts, llamas, unicycles...if it makes you happy, ride it. if you don't know for sure, get one of each. almost everytime i ride we have a mixed group of machines along and i always have a good time. i have had and ridden on 2, 3 & 4 wheels and enjoyed them all.

• Like 2

dirtbikes, quads, three wheelers, go carts, llamas, unicycles...if it makes you happy, ride it. if you don't know for sure, get one of each. almost everytime i ride we have a mixed group of machines along and i always have a good time. i have had and ridden on 2, 3 & 4 wheels and enjoyed them all.

Likewise! :busted:

Why can't everyone think like this?:busted:

• Like 1

get a ds650 for the dunes and a 450x for everything else, might as well have fun.

How do bikes do in water crossings? Something like 2 feet deep and littered with big ol rocks? I ask becuase I'm looking for another bike when I get my four wheeler sold, but have progressed much farther on a four wheeler then I have with my bike, becuase of people to ride with a seat time, but I'm getting sick of the four wheeler thing, and can buy a nicer bike with the same about of money that I can buy a "needs tlc" quad, and I've been there. I got an '86 LT250R that I could only wish was in as nice a shape as the one on here.