rpnorthriver

How 2 Lighten the DRZ 400S

31 posts in this topic

Alright folks. We all know the DRZ S rocks . I love mine but the only beef I have is the weight.

Here's what I have done to lighten it. Still looking to get to that magic 250-260 pound number. Any suggestions you have would be great. Together we can all get there :busted:

New Yoshi RS-2 full system - replaces heavy stock pipe.

Front blinkers and brackets gone - installed much smaller lighter blinkers on Acerbis brush guards.

Clutch safety switch gone.

Kick stand kill switch gone.

Rubber foot peg inserts gone.

New Pro Taper EVO bars replacing heavy steel stock bars (obviously stock handle bar end weights gone).

Helmet lock gone.

Tool bag gone.

Tail Tidy kit installed. Looks just like DRZE tail with small LED tail light tucked perfectly underneath fender. Just enough metal to put on plate and blinkers. Way cool and light!

Stock mirrors gone - Acerbis tuck away mirror (it weighs nothing!).

Front fork side reflectors and brackets gone.

Next is the new plastic tank to replace steel tank with HEAVY locking cap.

I hear you go aluminum sprockets as aftermarket are much lighter than stock.

So too much lighter brake rotors over the stock rotors out there.

What esle????????????:worthy:

1 person likes this

Did you take off your passenger pegs and brackets? I took mine off and lost them. My wife wnts me to take her on a ride so I'm trying to find some.

1 person likes this

Did you take off your passenger pegs and brackets? I took mine off and lost them. My wife wnts me to take her on a ride so I'm trying to find some.

I bought a full stainless Yoshimura pipe and saved a few pounds, took a few odds and ends off the bike and saved a couple more, and then went on a diet and saved 30 pounds. I realize not many people that ride have 30 Lbs. to lose but most of use can lose at least 5.....and its free. Just a thought.

3 people like this

250 for a trail DRZ is not realistic, every ounce you shave will be replaced with needed items like skid plate, hand guards and the like.

If it were being turned in to a SM or MX only race bike, then you could do as much as your wallet would allow.. Ti this, remove that, lighter everything.

Aluminum sprockets??? yes lighter, but will not last long at all.

3 people like this

I bought a full stainless Yoshimura pipe and saved a few pounds, took a few odds and ends off the bike and saved a couple more, and then went on a diet and saved 30 pounds. I realize not many people that ride have 30 Lbs. to lose but most of use can lose at least 5.....and its free. Just a thought.

Absolutely spot on dirtwiz. The best way to improve the power:weight ratio on any bike is down to you. I reckon most of us could shed 7 pounds or more without too much effort

I wonder if you would save some weight by getting kickstart kit and losing the starter?

Yes, been done.

Not sure why you would want to take a best feature of the bike and dump it to make a lighterweight HEAVY bike. But yes it's been done.,. do a search, you'll find a bunch.

4 people like this

You would be surprised how heavy the kickstart bits are. Those are some substantial chunks of steel going in. I installed one anyway as a back up.

Even though my bike has a yosh full system on it and all the extraneous crap removed, it is probably heavier than stock with the kick start kit, skid plate, bark busters, Scott's steering stabilizer (a heavy little bit but worth it's weight in gold) etc. Maybe if I am lucky, the weight battled to a draw. Naw, if I fill my 3.2 gal IMS tank all the way up, it is probably heavier than stock.

Stiffer suspension springs and matching valving does wonders for the DRZ's off road prowess. The bike eats bumps large and small and tracks straight and true at speed. I ride with KTMs and the like, and have no problem hanging in there, sometimes much to the dismay of the orange bike owner's overstuffed egos. In life I have always enjoyed being the underestimated quantity I guess. The rider is the most important piece of the puzzle when it comes to going well off road.

So don't obsess over your DRZ's weight. Get rid of the non functional stuff on the bike, add functional items, tune the engine and suspension to your liking, ride more, worry less :busted:

After suspension mods weight can be a good thing.It can plow through what a lighter bike gets airborn on.

Everytime someone rides my 650r coming off a 250 they notice how easy it is to go fast and be relaxed.

1 person likes this

the nice thing about the extra weight is it makes it harder for the young squids on their 125s to take you out in a corner,I found this out with a honda XL250 vintage race bike I practiced with at a local track a while back,they would tuck under you ,go for the rear wheel and down they would go,250#bike+200#rider+gravity=many chuckles from me ;}

1 person likes this

Lose the stock front headlight, that thing is surprisingly heavy. It has 2 metal brackets holding the shroud on. Get rid of that thing and get something light like this in my garage. :busted:

I noticed a big diff. when changing the headlight area, highest part of bike, so felt more like a weight loss than maybe reality. :worthy:

2 people like this

Lose the stock front headlight, that thing is surprisingly heavy. It has 2 metal brackets holding the shroud on. Get rid of that thing and get something light like this in my garage. :busted:

I noticed a big diff. when changing the headlight area, highest part of bike, so felt more like a weight loss than maybe reality. :worthy:

+1 on the headlight... i just put on an acerbis cyclops and that little thing weights nothing..... the stocker is a tank.

2 people like this

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my LG-H918 using ThumperTalk mobile app

the nice thing about the extra weight is it makes it harder for the young squids on their 125s to take you out in a corner,I found this out with a honda XL250 vintage race bike I practiced with at a local track a while back,they would tuck under you ,go for the rear wheel and down they would go,250#bike+200#rider+gravity=many chuckles from me ;}

Bad Ass!!!

Sent from my LG-H918 using ThumperTalk mobile app

3 minutes ago, Bermudacat said:

I'd bet closer to six or more for dumping the lead battery.

I want to do this next! Which names do you suggest? 

1 person likes this

I'm running a Battery Tender 120. Shop around and compare. The BT needs the Li-fe type charger, but if you need a tender stye charger, not a bad option. Seems Remy Battery has really good prices.

1 person likes this