EU/AU PAIR Valve / Solenoid Removal

There seems to be alot about the PAIR Valve goin on at the moment, but ive never found all the info i need in one place, so here is everything as far as i know.

Click for bigger pics

It is done to stop most of the popping on deceleration, and enable you to re-jet without removing the carb. No real performance gains to be had from this.

First of all start with the removal of the pair valve from the bike.

The Pair Valve assembly is bolted to the lower frame mount and can simply be unbolted.

PAIRValve.jpg

There are 3 connections off of the pair valve.

One goes to the head of the motor and will need to be blocked (We will come back to this)

Another goes to the right hand side of the carb to a brass nipple

And the third goes under the motor.

The third one under the motor is just an inlet pipe with filter and can be puller out, its not attached to anything.

PAIRValve6.jpg

Right okay, back to the first connection that leads to the head, either this pipe can be blocked by tapping the hole and threading a bolt up it with silicone to seal M8 Tap and Bolt required, or you can make a block off plate that bolts right on to the head.

The hole is just above the exhaust port, and the bolt of it can be seen here.

PAIRValve2.jpg

I went for the the block off plate here are the measurements should you wish to go this way.

PAIRValveBlockPlate.jpg

Unbolt the Pair Valve from the head and replace with this plate, make sure you seal it with silicone high temp sealant.

Finally the carb nipple has to be blocked.

I cut off some of the hosing that was originally on the nipple and filled it with the high temp silicone sealant. Once set I put the hose back on the nipple and we are good to go.

PAIRValve8.jpg

Pair Valve is now removed.

Onto the Solenoid.

First of all remove the Hex nut on the rear of the solenoid

PAIRValve5-2.jpg

Then remove the piping running up to the carb top cover.

PAIRValve6-2.jpg

There are two way to block off this hole.

First is to Tap the hole then run a bolt down it with sealant. (M5 tap and bolt)

Or alternatively you can order a USA Carb top, as there is no nipple on their carb tops.

Now remove the solenoid from the float bowl, don’t be worried it will just leave a cast hole.

Undo the Phillips screw and pull out the solenoid.

PAIRValve7-2.jpgPAIRValve8-1.jpg

Don’t forget there is a rubber seal on the opposite side that needs removing.

PAIRValve9-1.jpg

Last thing that needs doing is the blocking of the air boot hose that feeds the Solenoid. I used an M10 bolt with silicone sealant and ran it up the rubber hose to block it.

AirbootBlock.jpg

Im pretty sure that covers the whole procedure, but if I have missed anything, please let me know!

• Like 3

As ever ..excellent write up

something for the weekend me thinks :busted:

Any recomendation on plate thickness..how does 1/8 guage sound

As ever ..excellent write up

something for the weekend me thinks :busted:

Any recomendation on plate thickness..how does 1/8 guage sound

1/8 sounds like a good size to me!

"I cut off some of the hosing that was originally on the nipple and filled it with the high temp silicone sealant."

:busted:

Thought that silicone and gasoline were a BAD idea to mix...don't last very long, might plug your carb...or worse...

:worthy:

Excelent write up though

"I cut off some of the hosing that was originally on the nipple and filled it with the high temp silicone sealant."

:worthy:

Thought that silicone and gasoline were a BAD idea to mix...don't last very long, might plug your carb...or worse...

:ride:

Excelent write up though

There shouldnt be any fuel running to this nipple as its a Air Vacuum line :busted:

When i did this about a year ago i didnt know i had to remove the solenoid too. Its still on the bike. Is there a reason why it has to be removed?

When i did this about a year ago i didnt know i had to remove the solenoid too. Its still on the bike. Is there a reason why it has to be removed?

Provide the system it's self is disconnected no, not really.

But full removal does make working on the carb easier.

PS: Do not confuse the solenoid valve and pipes with the "pair valve"

Totally different thing.

Neil. :busted::worthy::ride:

Hi Neil, thanks for the reply mate. So am i right in thinking that the solenoid valve has nothing to do with the pair valve? If so, what is its function and why remove it?

Hi Neil, thanks for the reply mate. So am i right in thinking that the solenoid valve has nothing to do with the pair valve? If so, what is its function and why remove it?

The "Solenoid Control Valve" limits the throttle response in the first 3 gears.

It does this by opening the area above the carb diaphragm to atmosphere which prevents the slide fully opening.

Neil. :busted::worthy::ride:

I tried to give Grant some gas as well, no go :ride:

Headster, excellent write up, I'd give you fuel, but TT will not let me, so I'll ask Neil to have the 'Sandwich Honey' make you one of my Specials

The "Sandwich Honey" is also a "no go", or should that be a "No Show" :worthy:

Neil. :busted::blah: :blah:

excellent write up headster!:busted: dont suppose you have this in a pdf file?

Headster, excellent write up, I'd give you fuel, but TT will not let me, so I'll ask Neil to have the 'Sandwich Honey' make you one of my Specials
I tried to give Grant some gas as well, no go 😢

The "Sandwich Honey" is also a "no go", or should that be a "No Show" :blah:

Neil. :busted::eek::D

Its the thought that counts, I wrote this in the first place from reading through Neil's posts, so its real Neil that deserves the credit! :worthy:

excellent write up headster!:ride: dont suppose you have this in a pdf file?

I dont, but i could put one together if you need it that badly! :blah:

I tried to give Grant some gas as well, no go :ride:

The "Sandwich Honey" is also a "no go", or should that be a "No Show" :worthy:

Neil. :busted::blah: :blah:

Must be still going though the 'Pat Down' at the airport.

I was at heathrow on sunday, there was a big up roar about some sandwich maker that was going to put all the restaurants out of business. Little did i know it was your parcel Will :busted::worthy:

a quick one for people making their own blocking plates for the PAIR valve on the cylinder head, i made up the template in autocad and thought i'd save a pdf file for anyone on here, just print this off and you should have the exact size required. not much but saves trying to measure the holes yourself, if you're as lazy as me;)

errm, where do you attach file to your post here?:busted:

a quick one for people making their own blocking plates for the PAIR valve on the cylinder head, i made up the template in autocad and thought i'd save a pdf file for anyone on here, just print this off and you should have the exact size required. not much but saves trying to measure the holes yourself, if you're as lazy as me;)

errm, where do you attach file to your post here?:ride:

I already covered this in my write up with a CAD Drawing of the blockoff plate. :busted::worthy:

PAIRValveBlockPlate.jpg

I already covered this in my write up with a CAD Drawing of the blockoff plate. :busted::worthy:

except yours is not to scale, if you print mine off you have a template the exact size you need, stick it to a sheet of metal and cut it out, no measuring yourself

you obviously don't understand just how lazy i am:p