Need help with good books for a younger person

I really liked "Like Water for Chocolate", but I'm not much of a fiction reader, at least contemporary stuff. I think I read "house of SPirits(?) by Isabel Allende, which was good too(both are movies).

Too bad she doesn't like adventure--here's my favorite uppity-wimmen-adventuress books(memoirs)

anything by Beryl Markham(bush pilot in Africa)

, Isak Dinesen(Out of Africa), Margaret Murie(wife of Alaskan biologist), Isabella Bird(19th century traveler), Betty MacDonald(goofy farm life aroud the Depression), Elspeth Huxley(African farmer, same era as Isak Dinesen).

Snow Falling on Cedars and House of Sand and Fog were both interesting reads, too. Not sure if they'd be interesting for her or not.

Plushpuppy, I have a couple recommendations for you:

Accidental Adventurer, the story of the first woman to climb Mt. McKinley

Cold Starry Night, story of a woman artist in Alaska

Both were awesome reads!

OK is it just me or do you get slightly teared up reading about women who have done awesome things like that? Maybe I am just that nerdy.

TOTALLY :0) Those books I mentioned were all written by women in the late 19th to early 20th century, who just went and did stuff without whining about doing it to prove women can do stuff men do. Just took the bull by the horns and rode it flaming into the ground, full throttle(to mix my metaphors). Did it well too!

My mom tried so hard to make me a girly girl(dresses, bows, bobby socks with lace, GLOVES), now I don't feel so bad, I'm not genetically made up to be that, hahahahahaha!

I love reading too! Here are some favorites of mine and my book group.

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Out by Natsuo Kirino

Snowflower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Snow Falling on Cedars (x2 FC)

The House of Sand and Fog (x2 FC)

The Poisonwood Bible by Kingsolver

The Red Tent (x2 PP)

She's Come Undone and I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb

Oh, I just finished Under The Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer. So good!

Good Luck NUN, all these books are great.

• Like 1

yes, white lace ones :thumbsdown:

I don't mind the orange and black ones with claws on the fingertips though...

oh MAN, that would be awful. I had to wear tights, shiny shoes and dresses to school a certain number of days per week but mom gave it up when I got old enough to sneak a pair of jeans in my backpack. I think by then she had figured out I was just going to get grass stains and rips in my tights, anyway.

I love reading too! Here are some favorites of mine and my book group.

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Out by Natsuo Kirino

Snowflower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Snow Falling on Cedars (x2 FC)

The House of Sand and Fog (x2 FC)

The Poisonwood Bible by Kingsolver

The Red Tent (x2 PP)

She's Come Undone and I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb

Oh, I just finished Under The Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer. So good!

Good Luck NUN, all these books are great.

Some titles on there I've been meaning to pick up too! what did you think of the Kite Runner?

FC, I loved it! It grabbed me from the first few pages. It was a great discussion in my book group. Some women thought some areas of the book were a little hard to get through because of subject matter but I really like books that are a little edgy. The movie is going to be released soon.

FC, I loved it! It grabbed me from the first few pages. It was a great discussion in my book group. Some women thought some areas of the book were a little hard to get through because of subject matter but I really like books that are a little edgy. The movie is going to be released soon.

They had a little special about it on 20/20 or some other video news mag. Their reason for leaving is definitely a strict cultural thing. Its been playing at our local Indie film theatre for about 2 weeks now but I still haven't gone to see it. The storyline interests me for sure though.

Anything by Candace Bushnell.

Other 20-something type books that i've read and somewhat liked:

Lipstick Jungle

the Devil Wears Prada

Jemima J (actually as somoeone who has struggle with her weight I swear this book was written for me)

In Her Shoes (made this into a movie but it was a better book)

Anything by Nora Roberts

I'm so bad with book names and authors. I read so many they kind of mush together.

I have no suggestions for you NUN, sorry. I can only recommmend young childrens books. I'm not a big reader myself, but if I do read, I usually get so involved that I can't put it down, or do anything else till it's done. Maybe go to a local bookstore and ask them for some ideas, they're usually pretty helpful.