Sign in to follow this  

Winter clean up

Well I decided to get everything cleaned up and try to get it back to near showroom condition. The engine had crappy looking gunk and baked on dirt from the last 2 summers and the frame hasn't been thoroughly cleaned in a while so there was stained on dirt there too, Usually I just go over it with the power washer after a ride. Anyways here are the pics of my progress.

DSCF4774.jpg

DSCF4773.jpg

All clean now

DSCF4787.jpg

Frame

DSCF4778-1.jpg

DSCF4779.jpg

I have one question, I was cleaning out the oil tank and a bunch of particles and little flakes came out, im guessing from break in? I change the oil regularly and occasionally clean out the screen at the bottom of the tank, does the oil and particles from the engine build up in this tank and stick to the walls?

you shouldnt have that at all. the filter should have caught that it is possible for it to stick in the sub tank. how big are the flakes if they are real fine glittery looking than i believe thats from break in.

What did you use to clean frame/ motor

I used diluted simple green and a wire brush to really scrub the motor down then I used a felt pad and wd40 to get the frame clean.

I think the particles were from some gunked up crap in there since it looked as if the flow was a bit restricted on one of the hoses to the tank, I haven't had a single problem with the bike tho

I am in the same boat. I want to tear mine down to do a thorough cleaning and lubrication of all the necessary parts. But seeing as you do such a nice job, maybe I can just bring it by for you!

I am in the same boat. I want to tear mine down to do a thorough cleaning and lubrication of all the necessary parts. But seeing as you do such a nice job, maybe I can just bring it by for you!

Well Ive always wanted to go to Washington maybe I will stop by, but then again your trails are probably like rivers at the moment :busted: when you clean it make sure you have a wire brush it gets rid of 99% of that crap.

Nice job, I reckon I can pull the engine out of my WR250, does the tranny comes out with the engine? and all you gotta do is remove the rad pipes and cables, then the bolts?

Also some Lanolin oil is great for cleaning pipes, rubber etc. the oil doesn't degrade the rubber and it polishes metal up great.

I used an old steel hand brush that found around my house , make sure that the bristles are fairly strong so they clean the surface.

Yes the engine is not all that hard to get out and the tranny is built right into the design of the engine like all motorcycles. Drain the oil and radiator fluid via the water pump, my aluminum framed bike has 4 mounting points, not sure about the steel but it probably has 4 points also. The swing arm is the most difficult to get out especially if its corroded a bit. When your engine is out you might as well clean/grease up your shock linkages or replace them if need be.