Sign in to follow this  

Idling problem

Ive had this problem ever since ive goten the bike and frankly im fed up with it now. Ever since i bought it the idle was sky high, everyone elses bike has a stumbling but stable idle and revs nice, mine revs pretty good but it wont idle as low as eveyone elses bikes including a friend who has the same bike its an 04 crf250r, i have a 40 pilot jet in right now 160 main and all the other standard jetting, needle in the 3rd position. I put a 45 pilot in once to go to wyoming and upon coming back it wouldnt start, so i put my 40 in and it started in one kick but when i turn the idle down no matter how i adjust the screw i can rev it and it will run fine and then the idle will drop down but hang a little bit high and after idling for around 30 seconds it will drop down to the normal idling speed and another 30 seconds later it dies. Do you think i need a 42 pilot? Im thinking the mixture is a bit lean and its causing the hanging idle?

Buy a fuel mixture screw and put it in your carb so you can adjust your mixture on the fly, try playing with that and see if it fixes the problem. I had an idle problem when I first got my bike and after I put the screw in and adjusted it, it idles really smooth now right where I want it.

i have a screw and its out like 7 turns and it still wont idle stable so i need to go up to a 42 pilot right? i have a 40 right now, and the 45 was way to big it wouldnt even start.

Ive had this problem ever since ive goten the bike and frankly im fed up with it now. Ever since i bought it the idle was sky high, everyone elses bike has a stumbling but stable idle and revs nice, mine revs pretty good but it wont idle as low as eveyone elses bikes including a friend who has the same bike its an 04 crf250r, i have a 40 pilot jet in right now 160 main and all the other standard jetting, needle in the 3rd position. I put a 45 pilot in once to go to wyoming and upon coming back it wouldnt start, so i put my 40 in and it started in one kick but when i turn the idle down no matter how i adjust the screw i can rev it and it will run fine and then the idle will drop down but hang a little bit high and after idling for around 30 seconds it will drop down to the normal idling speed and another 30 seconds later it dies. Do you think i need a 42 pilot? Im thinking the mixture is a bit lean and its causing the hanging idle?

I hope your at a high altitude because your running VERY lean otherwise

I hope your at a high altitude because your running VERY lean otherwise

im at sea level, i have the manufacturers specified jetting in for sea level and it seems lean but a 45 is way to rich.

i have a screw and its out like 7 turns and it still wont idle stable so i need to go up to a 42 pilot right? i have a 40 right now, and the 45 was way to big it wouldnt even start.

go to 42. your turned out way to far