cable lubing

Ok so I was doing some work on my bike. I went to lube my cables(first time):busted: I have a tusk cable luber from rockymountain and I took my clutch cable out of the perch and attached the luber to the end. I don't know if it was on right because it didn't have directions. So I pulled the rubber boot back and but the it on with the large hole against the cable and the other end had the bead like thing:prof: that goes in the lever sticking out. I tightened it and tried to spray the stuff in the little hole that appeared to go into the rubber center. Basically I just made a mess...I didn't even attempt the throttle since I have never taken it apart before. What am I doing wrong?

The rubber hole on the top left of the picture is what I was trying to spray into.

tus_cable_lube.jpg

Ok so I was doing some work on my bike. I went to lube my cables(first time):applause: I have a tusk cable luber from rockymountain and I took my clutch cable out of the perch and attached the luber to the end. I don't know if it was on right because it didn't have directions. So I pulled the rubber boot back and but the it on with the large hole against the cable and the other end had the bead like thing:prof: that goes in the lever sticking out. I tightened it and tried to spray the stuff in the little hole that appeared to go into the rubber center. Basically I just made a mess...I didn't even attempt the throttle since I have never taken it apart before. What am I doing wrong?

The rubber hole on the top left of the picture is what I was trying to spray into.

tus_cable_lube.jpg

its always messy. but you really need to take that whole thing apart top to bottom and learn how it works. you wont screw it up. in fact do the same with the whole bike. you will need to take it down to grease the bearings, in the swing arm and axles. its fun. and you will enjoy that part as much as riding. at least i do.

Ok well can I do it that way for now? I am gradually taking more and more of my bike apart. I don't have anyone to learn from so that doesn't help.

go to .....twmx.com

then to the how to section

there is an article about lubing the throttle cabels in there

hope that helps:thumbsup:

Ok well can I do it that way for now? I am gradually taking more and more of my bike apart. I don't have anyone to learn from so that doesn't help.

you could get the more detailed shop maunual. but yea do what your doing. it wont hurt anything. just remember this thought. watch what it looks like when you take something apart. never ever over tighten a screw or bolt period. and when you can buy a torqc wrench. you can pick them up for less then 75.00. make sure the wrench is in the parameters of the torqe levels of the bikes parts.

you could get the more detailed shop maunual. but yea do what your doing. it wont hurt anything. just remember this thought. watch what it looks like when you take something apart. never ever over tighten a screw or bolt period. and when you can buy a torqc wrench. you can pick them up for less then 75.00. make sure the wrench is in the parameters of the torqe levels of the bikes parts.

Yeah, I do have a torque wrench. Thanks for the tip though.

Today I'll be taking the top of my cable housing apart again to replace my clutch lever so I am going to give this cable lubing business another shot.

Oh, and MX Peter, I didn't see the video and had some trouble understanding anything to find it...