NEED HELP WITH MY 05,,,, cant get it to start

OK, I am a squid to dirt bikes, this is my first one... I just bought it and I can't get it to start. I watched the previous owner start if off a cold engine no problem, and I tried it a few times, barely got it started when it was hot when I bought it. ANYWAYS - got it home and now I cant start it, shes got compression, I cleaned the air filter, it should start but it wont, I went through all proper procedure for a 4 stroke, gas on choke, hit the throttle a few times before starting but not touching it when cranking it... BUT I STILL CANT START IT $ HELP $

AND CAN ANYONE PLEASE GIVE ME SOME GENERAL MAINTENANCE TIPS

I bought a bike from a guy last year and I had the same thing happen to me. It started fine at the guys house but when i got it home it wouldn't start. What it ended up being was a gummed up carb. So drain the float bowl and clean out all the jets then blow them out with compressed air. If that doesn't solve your problem I would check your valve clearances.

Sounds like it is a matter of technique. Get the kicker as high up as possible and don't give the bike any throttle, just choke and get your foot on the right spot (on the ball) and give it as hard of a kick you can give. If you have any boots, riding or even construction, wear those as you will get a better kick than with sneakers. You'll get it, the 450 is a hard first bike to learn to kick.

Some ideas. 1. learn where TDC on the compression stroke is by feel. there are probably some posts you can search for but basicly depress the kickstarter slowly, let it turn the crank 1 full rotation so you can feel the intake/compression and power/exhaust strokes. The one that gives you the most resistance is the compression - thats where you want to be for starting. Once you feel the kick starter is about to transition from compression to exhaust, let the kick start lever return to the top and give it a hard, but smooth kick for the full range of the lever. The quick, choppy rabbit kick is a waste of time on 450 thumpers.

2. If its cold, or the bike hasn't been started in a while, turn the idle screw clockwise 1/2 to 1 full turn.

As you mentioned, its also good to give the throttle a few twists before kicking - but don't touch it after that.

These tips have saved me a lot of aggrevation with starting.

I always primed my 05 when it was cold with a couple of twists of the throttle to squirt some gas into the engine. Then dont touch the throttle at all and kick smoothly thru. The colder it is outside i would give it more squirts to prime it.

In really cold weather here in Idaho I would give it as many a half a dozen twists to prime it. It was still hard to start in the cold. When warmed up it was always easy to start. A tip, when starting the engine don't touch the throttle AT ALL. Once the engine is warm it can flood very easy even by a partial twist of the throttle.

This is very different from a 2 stroke and took me a while to figure out. Try putting your right hand on the crossbar when kicking.

You don't need an electric starter! ? But I understand your point. You'll get it, don't let yourself become frustrated. I'm guessing when the bike was started at the seller's house that it wasn't ridden. It may well have loaded up the plug and fouled it. To change the plug, you'll need a deep well 5/8" or 16mm socket. And don't skimp on the new plug. NGK Iridium. $11, but they don't have to be replaced very often. And gap the plug with a wire-type guage only! The flat-blade type can damage the iridium electrode, from what I've read...

To reiterate some points already made...it is imperative that you have the engine on the compression stroke and that the kickstarter is at the top of the stroke. Then put everything you have into it and kick it like it just stole your mother's purse! A method I developed for making sure that I don't twist the throttle when I kick is to squeeze the front brake lever. It prevents my hand from accidentally rotating the throttle...I can't get nearly as good a kick when I have my right hand anywhere other than the throttle...old habits, I guess.

When it's really, really cold out, I've noticed that in addition to a few pre-kick throttle twists it can help to pull the hot start lever while kicking, for whatever reason.:applause:

Make sure your in neutral , they don`t like to start in gear. I`v seen guys kick them real fast , and that dose not work. Smooth , one kick at a time. If it floods , open throttle al the way , and kick it a few times to clear it out , close the throttle , and try again.