Can you Bigbore WR guys help a fellow Blue Rider?

Hey Guys!

I love my WR250F and ride in So Cal - desert & mountains. I've got my WR CA plated and really like it - BUT - I need a big bore for some of the rides I do. (Not getting rid of the 250F though.)

I've been riding my buddy's '06WR450 and also his '03KTM525EXC. I want to stay blue for many reasons, but I need a couple of things that the blue bikes don't seem to be delivering.

First, I've really never gotten the front end of the WR's to really "stick" in corners like a KTM does. No matter how hard I try to get up on the tank, inside foot forward, I always find the yamaha's a little "washy". For those of you who have ridden both the older WR's and KTM's extensively, is it possible to make the newer WR's stick in corners like a KTM?

Second, the Yamaha's (450 & 250 both) seem to like to rev. They don't really like being lugged down. (The 250 especially so, but the 450 as well.) I'm kind of enamored by the massive grunt of the 525. The long stroke suits my style better than a fast revving bike like the yamaha's.

So....any advice? Mods to make the 450 pull gruntier and not want to stall out as easy in very technical rock sections? Pipe, specific jetting, flywheel, gearing? And, does the front end of the 07 & later WR's stick in corners better than the older 450's?

Thanks for any comments!

Bill

The '07 sticks, but the sag really needs to be spot on. The steel framed bikes handled like dumptrucks compared to the '07/'08 bikes.

These are toned down MX engines, they'll never chug like an XR (or a KTM RFS for that matter). If you're talking about LTK's WR 450f, he still has the stock pipe. An aftermarket muffler will make it chug better (believe it or not) but its still not going to chug like a KTM...plus its going to be louder than :applause:

It sounds like you need a plated 525. You're not going to get those kind of engine characteristics from any other MFG esp...husqvarna's are especially punchy

The steel framed bikes handled like dumptrucks compared to the '07/'08 bikes.

Uh huh, and correct me if I'm wrong, but you came off a TTR didn't you J? Be nice now. Us steel-framed devotees are sensitive. I've ridden both and though there is a notable difference in weight distribution, it isn't Dumptruck vs. Ferrari :applause:...SC

So....any advice? Mods to make the 450 pull gruntier and not want to stall out as easy in very technical rock sections? Pipe, specific jetting, flywheel, gearing? And, does the front end of the 07 & later WR's stick in corners better than the older 450's?

Thanks for any comments!

Bill

as you know, do ALL the free mods, then ditch the stock exhaust for a full aftermarket system, or a lightly used 06-07 stock yz complete exhaust. the bike WILL chug on the slower technical sections and it will have TONS of grunt. if that's not enough, put some yz cams in it and add a tooth to the rear sprocket, you better hang on good to those handlebars after that.:applause:??:banghead:

Uh huh, and correct me if I'm wrong, but you came off a TTR didn't you J? Be nice now. Us steel-framed devotees are sensitive. I've ridden both and though there is a notable difference in weight distribution, it isn't Dumptruck vs. Ferrari ?...SC

An exageration smiliey would have cleared up any misunderstanding.:applause:

No, its not really like a dump truck. A more accurate description would be the a stock suspended tin can frame WR is like a stock ride height truck while a stock suspended steel framed WR is like a lifted truck (higher center of gravity). I've read where springs/revalves change the attitude of the steel framed bike dramatically. In all fairness the '06 I rode was on a bone stock suspension and may not have been set up for the rider (similar height and weight as me)

Don't even get me started on the TT-R...damn thing felt like a school bus:eek:

Hey Guys!

I love my WR250F and ride in So Cal - desert & mountains. I've got my WR CA plated and really like it - BUT - I need a big bore for some of the rides I do. (Not getting rid of the 250F though.)

I've been riding my buddy's '06WR450 and also his '03KTM525EXC. I want to stay blue for many reasons, but I need a couple of things that the blue bikes don't seem to be delivering.

First, I've really never gotten the front end of the WR's to really "stick" in corners like a KTM does. No matter how hard I try to get up on the tank, inside foot forward, I always find the yamaha's a little "washy". For those of you who have ridden both the older WR's and KTM's extensively, is it possible to make the newer WR's stick in corners like a KTM?

Second, the Yamaha's (450 & 250 both) seem to like to rev. They don't really like being lugged down. (The 250 especially so, but the 450 as well.) I'm kind of enamored by the massive grunt of the 525. The long stroke suits my style better than a fast revving bike like the yamaha's.

Thanks for any comments!

Bill

Hey Bill,

I have the 07 WR 450 and had issues with the front end from the very begingng. I raised the forks in the triple clamps; turned a couple clicks to the front and back and it took care of the issue. As far as chugging, the bike is a chugging machine. I am very impressed of how well it chugs. The mods I did on my bike from day 1 was to have it uncorked and all that AIS junk removed and I slipped on a FMF pipe. The bike is awsome!!

After of years of riding XRs, I was frustrated by my inability to get my '00 WR400's front end to stick in sand and loose dirt. The fix was simple. By raising the fork tubes in the clamps (experiment with how much to see what works for you), fiddling with the comp, rebound and rear sag, (about 95 mm sag works for me)and placing myself as far up on the seat/tank as possible, the WR corners very well.

An exageration smiliey would have cleared up any misunderstanding.:applause:

In all fairness the '06 I rode was on a bone stock suspension and may not have been set up for the rider (similar height and weight as me)

In all fairness I suppose I should ask everyone that gives advice if they have actually owned the bike they are giving advice on or if they just heard some thing from some body about it ?

Uh huh, and correct me if I'm wrong, but you came off a TTR didn't you J? Be nice now. Us steel-framed devotees are sensitive. I've ridden both and though there is a notable difference in weight distribution, it isn't Dumptruck vs. Ferrari :applause:...SC

As with any thing, skis, bikes, cars, sleds and girls, they all have their own characteristics of how the like to be ridden. A good rider can adjust to those characteristics to control that ride. It's hard to adjust to new rides(women too) and get used to them. once you get to know it and ride it like it likes to be ridden you fall in love. ?

My 05 WR steers fine. I would make sure you have the bike sprung right for your weight and that the sag is right. A good front tire won't hurt either.

You can also sharpen up the steering by raise the forks in the triple clamps.

I like my 05 so much that I haven't sold it yet even though I bought an 08.

The 08 is a real PIA to work on. I swear they built the bike around the carb.

Taking off the valve cover is fun too.