Starter Wont Turn Engine

Hello this is a two part question. I have a 08 wr 450. I rode the bike, and a few times I would engage the electric start and it would just make a loud click,as if trying to turn the engine, but would not turn the engine, so I tried the kickstarter, and it was super hard to kick, I had to practically stand on the kickstarter with all my weight. The engine finally turned, I engaged the electric start again, and it worked fine. The bike did this a few times. Kind of felt like engine was stuck untill it was moved with the kicker, than the electric start worked great. Anyone else have this happen???

Also any preferences out there between ims vs clark gas tank? I have heard complaints about ims tanks too close to engine and boiling fuel in tank.

Grayracer513 explained this over in the YZ 450f forum but the condition you explained is when the engine stalls on the compression stroke. I guess the decomp pin doesn't open the exhaust valve and engine locks up. I've found that putting it in second and rocking the bike back and forth a few times then shifting into neutral allows you to kick or use the e-start regularly again :applause:

Hello this is a two part question. I have a 08 wr 450. I rode the bike, and a few times I would engage the electric start and it would just make a loud click,as if trying to turn the engine, but would not turn the engine, so I tried the kickstarter, and it was super hard to kick, I had to practically stand on the kickstarter with all my weight. The engine finally turned, I engaged the electric start again, and it worked fine. The bike did this a few times. Kind of felt like engine was stuck untill it was moved with the kicker, than the electric start worked great. Anyone else have this happen???

Also any preferences out there between ims vs clark gas tank? I have heard complaints about ims tanks too close to engine and boiling fuel in tank.

I have the IMS tank on my 07 and have no problems. I just put a scotts damper on and it attaches to where the tank does up front and it also fit with no problems. One difference between the IMS / Clarke is that the Clarke sits up a bit higher at the gas cap, has been described as a volcano appearance. Other than that, probably the same.

The electric starter on my 07 WR450F never ever worked well since the purchase so I got rid of whole e.starter(including the starter motor) assembly.

Kickstarter works, but sometime I need to kick it 50 times to start the engine.

I also own 07' YZ450F and 07' YZ250F, and starting engine is almost as easy as 2 strokes.

I never feel comfortable to take my WR on a gnarly trail because I am afraid that I may have to kick to the death if the engine stalls.

I don't believe that I have to do some tweaks for this.

I have the IMS tank on my 07 and have no problems. I just put a scotts damper on and it attaches to where the tank does up front and it also fit with no problems. One difference between the IMS / Clarke is that the Clarke sits up a bit higher at the gas cap, has been described as a volcano appearance. Other than that, probably the same.

My IMS tank covers that top mount bolt for the tank. How do you fasten the Scotts there also?