Sign in to follow this  

2 questions,stalling and peg height

Took the wife and her new 08 for her first ride today and she loves the bike,huge upgrade from her 03 150 F that she has been on for the past year.

Question one,

The bike seams to stall easily on her.Granted it is a totally different bike than she is used to.This is somthing I had read about before purchasing the bike but I never came accross a fix for the problem.The problem occurs when taking off ,if the throttle is not feathered the bike will bog and die.In the manual it does give some basic tuning instructions,but they seem to be directed at track riding,(coming out of berms then bogging)not trail riding.Most of our riding is around the Vegas area,desert and mountain single track.I am not sure of our elevation.

Question two,

I have seen that the pegs can be lowered on some of the Xs but not on the 150R expert.Can this be done?If so how?Thanks all.

go to the 450r forum and look at the AP mod sticky thread. DO the O-ring trick of r the Ap and rejet the bike. I just did mine yesterday and it made a HUGE difference. Granted it was just down the street riding(going to Jawbone Canyon this weekend). JD jet kit was what I bough. I put in the red needle on 4th groove, 145 main and 42 pilot.

Have no idea on the pegs. We have the regular small wheel. Good luck

The only pegs I know of that can be lowered are the Fastway Footpegs ... and even at that, you don't gain a whole lot.

http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/23_101_118/products_id/367

Your "ultimate" solution to stalling is drop in a Rekluse Pro clutch. I have one in my wifes 150RB, and she will never ride without a Rekluse again.:applause:

http://www.rekluse.com/z-Start-Pro.shtml

The only pegs I know of that can be lowered are the Fastway Footpegs ... and even at that, you don't gain a whole lot.

http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/23_101_118/products_id/367

Your "ultimate" solution to stalling is drop in a Rekluse Pro clutch. I have one in my wifes 150RB, and she will never ride without a Rekluse again.:applause:

http://www.rekluse.com/z-Start-Pro.shtml

Go for the Rekluse/9oz fiywheel weight change out the stock 40 pilot jet for a 45 pilot and she will be a happy lady,no more stalling,Martin.

Doesn't that bog and stall thing just drive you crazy :applause: ? I do not totally agree with the Rekluse solution but the jetting is a must. The bike just requires the rider to slip the clutch more than she did on the 150F. There is a lot of great mods for this bike, make sure you dig around here for the great advice.

Go for the Rekluse/9oz fiywheel weight change out the stock 40 pilot jet for a 45 pilot and she will be a happy lady,no more stalling,Martin.

Good advice.

I just did the 9 oz. FWW. It is setup stock to be WOT and other wise you have to feather the clutch which means replacing it often.

Glad she is happy with it. It is a great little bike!

Surfergirl....

When you get the chance ..Could you please maybe post a ride review on the difference with the FW and without...It might give people on the fence.. so to speak, about the advantages or disadvantages.....:applause:

Nick

I am no expert on the technical aspects so bear with me on some of the verbage. This is just my opinion on the changes in my 150r with the 9 oz. FWW mod.

here goes:

The stock crf150r is set up with a very light flywheel which mean that if you allow the rpms to slip to low it will stall. It seems that this is a very common occurance when taking off in first gear, climbing hills, going downhill and in corners if you are using the wrong gear.

The lack of weight on the FW allows the motor to slow down and drop rpms quicker. The light flywheel also allows the motor to spin quicker upon increasing the RPMs which means a faster throttle to rear wheel spin (HP) response. That is where the trade off comes in. Quicker power more stall.

It is very similar to a two stroke in that the power band hits fairly hard and fast. I find that this is great for wide open spaces (desert, etc.) and MX tracks because you usually maintain and need more speed. Wide Open Throttle riding all the time.

The only way to control the stalling is to either get a recluse or do a similar auto clutch mod or to feather the clutch similar to the way you ride a two stroke. Pull the clutch in rev the engine and release. The only problem is the 4 stroke clutches wear out quicker with that style of riding.

I was very concerned about getting the weight because I did not want to loose any power. However, I needed to have more control of wheelspin and RPM's when navigating through tight, tricky, Georgia trails. I also did not want to feather the clutch too much because it will cause more maintenance and we already have enough of this on these high performance 4 stroke engines.

I was mostly trail riding at the time I got this bike so it really made sense to get the weight. Immediately the bike was much easier to take off in first. Matter of fact, if you are on flat ground (no real strain on the motor) stalling is no longer an issue. You can almost release the clutch without any throttle at all on take off. Climbing hills and taking on corners are much easier and require less clutching and really none at all if you are in the right gear. Going down hills are the only situtaion that my bike will still stall occassionally if I do not keep the rpms up.

These are very tight, technical, rough terrain hills, bar busting trails so I must go very slow sometimes and it stalls but I just pull the clutch in and release it at the bottom of the hill and bump start it right up and I am good to go. I am sure as I get to be a better rider I will be able to stop the stalling all together by maintaining higher speeds on the downhills.

The power is more deliverable just turning the throttle and it does not have as hard a hit of the power band like it did stock. With the FWW the power band comes on much smoother but it still has a tremendous amount of power. I ride it on MX tracks and I still have the power needed to hit jumps and take on the track so I really do not feel I lost much there. I hit kicker ramps in my backyard and it does not seems to engine brake any harder to create problems getting air either.

I was at a local track when a kid showed up with his new stock Crf150R and I watched him ride the track. He was quicker on the straights than I was, had more of the front end trying to come up on throttle increase, and lost more ground in the corners than I did. He also seems to land jumps more front wheel up but this could be some riding style technique difference- not sure.

I really think it has more to do with the fact that he got more wheel spin and less torque than my bike due to the FWW and pipe mods I have done.

I have attached a video of my first no footer that will show you it can still fly well. I am not even going very fast in this vid but the bike responds and sounds incredible. Sounds like a big pig!

Hopefully this will be helpful to those considering this mod. If I have left out any information please let me know.

http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee24/surfergirl_027/?action=view&current=DSCI0234.flv

• Like 1

I am no expert on the technical aspects so bear with me on some of the verbage. This is just my opinion on the changes in my 150r with the 9 oz. FWW mod.

here goes:

The stock crf150r is set up with a very light flywheel which mean that if you allow the rpms to slip to low it will stall. It seems that this is a very common occurance when taking off in first gear, climbing hills, going downhill and in corners if you are using the wrong gear.

The lack of weight on the FW allows the motor to slow down and drop rpms quicker. The light flywheel also allows the motor to spin quicker upon increasing the RPMs which means a faster throttle to rear wheel spin (HP) response. That is where the trade off comes in. Quicker power more stall.

It is very similar to a two stroke in that the power band hits fairly hard and fast. I find that this is great for wide open spaces (desert, etc.) and MX tracks because you usually maintain and need more speed. Wide Open Throttle riding all the time.

The only way to control the stalling is to either get a recluse or do a similar auto clutch mod or to feather the clutch similar to the way you ride a two stroke. Pull the clutch in rev the engine and release. The only problem is the 4 stroke clutches wear out quicker with that style of riding.

I was very concerned about getting the weight because I did not want to loose any power. However, I needed to have more control of wheelspin and RPM's when navigating through tight, tricky, Georgia trails. I also did not want to feather the clutch too much because it will cause more maintenance and we already have enough of this on these high performance 4 stroke engines.

I was mostly trail riding at the time I got this bike so it really made since to get the weight. Immediately the bike was much easier to take off in first. Matter of fact, if you are on flat ground (no real strain on the motor) stalling is no longer an issue. You can almost release the clutch without any throttle at all on take off. Climbing hills and taking on corners are much easier and require less clutching and really none at all if you are in the right gear. Going down hills are the only situtaion that my bike will still stall occassionally if I do not keep the rpms up.

These are very tight, technical, rough terrain hills, bar busting trails so I must go very slow sometimes and it stalls but I just pull the clutch in and release it at the bottom of the hill and bump start it right up and I am good to go. I am sure as I get to be a better rider I will be able to stop the stalling all together by maintaining higher speeds on the downhills.

The power is more deliverable just turning the throttle and it does not have as hard a hit of the power band like it did stock. With the FWW the power band comes on much smoother but it still has a tremendous amount of power. I ride it on MX tracks and I still have the power needed to hit jumps and take on the track so I really do not feel I lost much there. I hit kicker ramps in my backyard and it does not seems to engine brake any harder to create problems getting air either.

I was at a local track when a kid showed up with his new stock Crf150R and I watched him ride the track. He was quicker on the straights than I was, had more of the front end trying to come up on throttle increase, and lost more ground in the corners than I did. He also seems to land jumps more front wheel up but this could be some riding style technique difference- not sure.

I really think it has more to do with the fact that he got more wheel spin and less torque than my bike due to the FWW and pipe mods I have done.

I have attached a video of my first no footer that will show you it can still fly well. I am not even going very fast in this vid but the bike responds and sounds incredible.

Hopefully this will be helpful to those considering this mod. If I have left out any information please let me know.

http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee24/surfergirl_027/?action=view&current=DSCI0234.flv

Bravo Bravo excelent post!!

Great post and explanation..:) . Surfergirl..... Cool video also....:cry:

I am gonna try and get the misses comfortable with the 150r this year...:applause: .. So was just wondering .. She rides a 01 TTR 125L now.. but I am sure she will be fine... Just kinda scared and all... They are 2 totally different bikes for sure...

Might be one of those things like a steering damper on a bike.. You never know what your missing or how good your bike can be,,,, till you ride someone elses that has one..

Nick

I have an 01' TTR125 also for a playbike and bored it up to a 150 and added a carb for more power.

Once she says I need more power she will be ready for the 150R. By then she will have the throttle and brake controls as habit and should be fine.

She will be rocking and rolling in no time I am sure. It really does not take long to gain skill as long as they really love riding.'

Happy:ride:

I have an 01' TTR125 also for a playbike and bored it up to a 150 and added a carb for more power.

Once she says I need more power she will be ready for the 150R. By then she will have the throttle and brake controls as habit and should be fine.

She will be rocking and rolling in no time I am sure. It really does not take long to gain skill as long as they really love riding.'

Happy:ride:

I bumped up from a 50 to 150 in no time. the 150 came almost natural to me. I did eat dirt a couple times but it was all to easy.

We bought our TTR brand new.... So she has been riding it from day one.... Last year we removed the airbox cover and fine tuned the jetting...And it gained some additional power/torque...She loved it...

She is so used to the TTR and does not realize how much better the suspension, power and everything else is on the 150R . So we will go slow and see what happens...Nothing worse than getting a newer bike and then crashing or being scared and hating riding... Its hard enough to get the wives/girlfriends to ride.. She loves the whole concept......:applause:

So its just getting comfortable and not being intimidated on the 150r. A little mind over matter..So to speak.. We will keep the TTR no matter what... she loves that bike for sure... However, she may never get as comfortable on the 150r.. So I will ride it anyway.. :)

Nick

It is all in throttle control so she will be fine. Heck she might be rocking your ride before long you never know.

It is funny how the progression works now I want a 250f for mx. You don't have to touch the ground for MX - for trails I need the lighter bike and shorter seat height.

I agree with you enjoying it while she gets aquainted with it. It is a great adult playbike that really rips and keeps you on your toes.