CRF150 vs. TTR125

Over the next few months I think there will be some solutions to the CRF150 problems with weight and lack of MX suspension. The motor should easily go out to 200+cc and big carbs, heavier clutches and cams are already out there unless Honda has radically changed the motor design from what they produced years ago. This will dent the TTR125 market but until Honda drops a few other high tech 4 strokes into the market place the "kiddy" bike market will be ruled by Yamahas. How many blue big bikes YZ/WR have a little blue bike for the boy (or girl) next to it. I remember a sea of red minis now its a lot more blue in 4 strokes. Pity about the sucess or lack of it in the green and yellow camps. Remember my comments are about Australia. The second biggest market for minis outside USA

LOL (Laugh Out Loud) I agree man, I agree. He also said somethin about the CRF not bein that great and that the ttr was a better mxer. I rode my friends TTR (stock) against my stock CRF,when it was stock at the time, and when I got of I told him I felt like was riding a PW80. Even though there both stock there's alot of differnce. According to BBR a stock CRF150 has 11.57HP and stock TTR125 has 8.4. Just think of the potential the CRF has! I even drove my other friends TTR with a Procircuit T-4 and i had to shift constantly. I dunno about you but i dont like having to [censored] 24/7. Maybe Yamaha will come out with a YZ150F, but until then the CRF is on top!!! ?

Guys, Guys, Guys Dont worry I'm very intrested in the CRF150. I'm just rattling your chain a bit. The links come and go. I will email a pic of the CRF100 I have but it will work if you do the right click thing like 02xr250 said. Remember I have both the TTR and the CRF100 and both are not just stocky ones. They are well modified. Both are raced in Junior MX by boys with both other MX bikes YZ85 and YZ250F. They compete straight up against 85's and were built to do so. Ocassionally we get 4 stroke events but they are rare and we have a 125cc limit at the moment. Out and out HP is important but the bike must have suspension, good power to weight ratio, fit a kid and be available. Yamaha has had the market for the last few years in the modified kiddie bike sector, Honda still probably sells a million to one XR's to TTR's. I have a lot of background experience with both the little XR75/80/100 motors as well as the bigger SL/TL/XR/CRF motors. The biggest problem to date has been finding a Honda MX frame for kids to ride that you could stuff a big motor into and build it easy. The hop up parts for the CRF150 have been around for years, any cam grinder should be able to offer at least 3 grinds, big valves are easy, carbs no problems. Pipes will have to be sorted out as will suspension. Can you tell me which CR forks will fit? How about shocks? socalxr has just fitted a XR200 into a CR80 big wheel (expert) and it required a lot of work. Thats where the TTR filled a big hole but required forks shock etc to make it competitive with 85's. The CRF150 looks much the same. A better HP starting point but a 12yo picking up 200+ lbs of bike in junior MX? I'm going to do another big wheel CRF. Then its probably going to be a 16/19 inch wheeled CR125 with a XR200 type motor at 125cc to fit into our classes over here.

Yeah, that was well put ACS. I will say the CR150F looks nice. But, when it comes to motocross I have to say the TTR has much more potential. The ttr seems like a bike you can seriously race and the CRF seems like a big heavy family recreational trail bike. The TTR at least is lighter and has the frame of a YZ. With a couple modifications to the suspension and a pipe it will keep up with the YZ85s. The CRF just seems like a bike that seems like it should be left alone because it is as good as it gets already. It will never be as raceable as the TTR. I'm not just saying this just because I have a TTR I am just saying what I have heard from magazines and what I have put together about the bike.

• 3 years later...