doug g

Hey all you XL riders

Just wondering how many of you are out there. I just picked up a 1982 XL500R and was hoping to get in touch with other Honda XL riders. Stories, pics, tips, tricks, etc...

had an '80 500s- fun bike. the '82 was kind of a funky one- had the "old" style engine in the "new" style frame. any pics?

I thought the 82 was the first year for RVFC? I had one (XL500R) back in the day, but I was just a kid, and can't remember that detail, nor can I find a picture of my old bike.

Great bike, though. I really liked it.

83 was the first year for RFVC (really fast very cool) but the 82 and older are still very strong motors.

i will post pics soon. I need some decent weather to get the bike outside for a decent shot.

I have a 1984 xl350r I am putting back together after being apart for 7 years I have alot of new parts. Just waiting for my machinist to get my valve seat in for me. I was hoping to see more xl350r post and info.

I was wondering what types of tires you guys are using on the 500. Sizes are 3.00-21 and 4.6-17. I have cheng shins on the bike now and I was lloking for something more dirt oriented.

1980 XL500S here, the one year with the dreaded 23" front tire. I still love her though.

I need to find someplace that might sell a seal kit. Just about every seal on the engine is leaking. That and a nice Helicoil kit to replace all the stripped threads.

I regularly just go behind the ktm dealer and get whatever they have in my size for free!!! finiky dirt riders change out when the knob gets just a bit rounded over I being on/off run the free in reverse square edge forward

could care less if it D.O.T becuase they suck I'm not cheap just smart I got $450 play money a month and Have alot of 80's basket cases to get going

1980 XL500S here, the one year with the dreaded 23" front tire. I still love her though.

I need to find someplace that might sell a seal kit. Just about every seal on the engine is leaking. That and a nice Helicoil kit to replace all the stripped threads.

I used to have an '80 XL500, it was my first full sized bike, I came off of a 100. Worked all summer in '83 and bought it for $800. It was also my first road legal bike, used to ride to school in the spring of '85 back in PA. The only thing I really remember when owning it was the start of a nice long wheelie on a back country road, I banged it into third with a little to much throttle and didn't get the rear brake in time, I hate road rash...:applause:

My trusty steed is an 83 XL200R. I've owned it for about 6 years, and my best friend had it for quite a while before that. Lots of miles and faster, bigger bikes later, this is the one that made me re-discover having real fun riding. Honda did something right with this bike, the new crf230l is proof.

Hello everyone, I recently purchased a 1984 xl350r rfvc. Wen i got it it would not idle. Removed the carbs, intake manifold, found that the jack ass that owned it before siliconed the intake manifold rather than buying the $8 oring. He sealed up the equalizer passage as well so the vaccum could not equalize. Put it back togeather and this cleaned up alot of dead spots in acceleration. Still wouldnt idle right. Took the carbs back off to inspect the air cut off diafram, this had pin holes. Replaced it... Now it idles great but when i give it gas( say hold at half throttle) It will miss and if i rapp it up a few times it will stumble and die. It seems electrical to me but i dunno. I have adusted the valves etc. carbs seem good at this point any help would be great

Sounds like theres some cool older bikes in here...

I'm finished a 84 XL 350 that I bought in boxes. The bike is in great shape, with still the original seat cover. And with those dual carbs, that thing really goes.

Last summer I did a top-end on an 83 XL 600. It needed new valve guide seals, rings, and a slight hone. I'm sure all the old Honda guys are familiar with this...

And, my dad has an absolute pristine 82 XL 500. The bike has around 15k on it, but the guy before him took immaculate care of it. It looks like it just came off the showroom floor, except for the supertrapp.

I have and ride a 80 XL100 . Nice original but not perfect bike. Super lightweight. Put a Old DG megaphone exhaust pipe on it and a new old stock Hondaline rear luggage rack for my big blue cans of Fosters. She gets it for a 100. Tops out at about 60 mph.

I compete in Vintage Trials on a '76 TL250 and am finishing a rebuild on a '76 XL250 (now bored and stroked out to 330cc) with an '87 TLR200 project waiting in the wings!...and a TMI (Trials frame) having suspension built...and a '76 CB360T project (gonna be a "mountain bike")...and a...😏 does it ever end?

Murray