450 Stalling

I read the Dirt Bike article on the 2003 450F, they mention the bike has a tendenacy to stall if you chop off the throttle on the face of a jump?

Do any 450F owners have the same problem?

Other than that, they say this bike RIPS, Light and flickable like its baby brother.

Help me out guys, I'm ready to BUY now!

I had mine stall in some small whoops. Had the bike not restarted on it's own, I would have went over the bars. My buddy went over a little rolling jump and his stalled. He rode it for a few feet on the front wheel and slammed to the ground which cracked a rib and tweaked his shoulder. He has a brand new bike and can't ride it now. He ordered a flywheel weight for his. I sold mine and bought a YZ250, but mostly for other reasons. There are some guys who seem to have stalling problems and some swear there is no stalling problem.

Come on guys, I know there's more? If you want to remain annoymous just PM me.

I can handle the corner stalling, but I'm a little AFRAID of mid air stalling?

Anyone else having mid air or jump stalling problems?

I'm ready to get the 2003 Big Brother, I'd like some more positive or negitive responces.

I don't have a problem with changing colors, Red or Orange?

Remember, this new bike has a dificult task of trying to knock off a 2002 250F between my legs? BTW I'll NEVER get rid of my 250F!

Thanks

Rick Marion

PS Thanks guys for your responce and Osheen thanks for your honest statement, its difficult to respond after a 6k+ investment does not work out.

I am an old(40) desert/woods expert who only rides moto for practice/conditioning/fun. I can't speak to my moto ability much since I don't race moto. I do about 1/2 of the big jumps but consider myself a weak jumper. My cornering & high speed ability means I pass about 85% of the guys in open practice and get passed by the top 15%.I sold my 250f to get the 450f.

I have ridden 3 days at Albany Supercross type track, and one epic day at Washougal. Around 8 to 10 gallons of fuel. I have never stalled the bike in the air. I have stalled it 4 times in first gear corners in which I was trying to pull third gear. I have also stalled it 3 times just fartin around where it lit back up before I knew what happened. I think most of my stalling is due to the fact that I was a clutch abuser on my 250F, and I am trying to learn not to use the clutch in cornering. I do have the funny clutch noise, which is merely irritating at this point.

Yes, this is a big bore bike with little flywheel. However, I must totally disagree that the bike has a stalling problem. All of my stalls are rider error and getting used to a big bike again. This bike is worlds easier to ride than my 98 KX500 was.

I have had more fun on this bike than any I can remember. It starts always, and very easy. It feels as light as my 01 250F, and the power is amazing. While the suspension will need some set-up, it is the best out of the box that I have ridden by far (after break-in). The bike will carve inside, or roost huge wide. I find myself even doing things in the air that I had never done before. The bike seems to have zero gyro effect that often inhibits handling on big bikes. I suspect that some of that is due to the lack of flywheel and rotating mass. I have yet to touch a grip to the dirt.(Queue the knocking on wood sound)

I have not ridden the bike off-road yet, but I think the four speed is going to be just fine. Ty Davis has already proven it is not a problem in the desert. I have a 13 tooth counter mounted for the woods tommorrow. This will no doubt be a lot of machine for the tight slippery woods.

It has been 5 days now since I did my first full power shift to 4th gear in the middle of the uphill at Washougal. My wife says that if the smile is not gone by next week, I will need to go see the doctor. After my first day on the bike with the new power and stiff forks, I was wondering if I had not bitten off too much. I am certain that it is too much bike for many. But right now I would pay the gouge price and sweep my dealers basement for a month for this bike. Find one if you can...

I also ride with my finger on the clutch when rolling over jumps that are way too much for me and when cornering. It has stalled jsut a few times so I turned up the idle a little bit and it seems much better now.

The bike is awesome! I came off a WR250F and the 450 seems easier to ride for me. No clutch problem either!

I hate to say this but here it goes. I think you folks with the stalling problem need to ride the bike at a higher rpm. The 450 is a race bike not a trail bike. Race it. There is not enough rotating engine mass to keep it running at low rpm. Rev it out and keep it reved. Don't coast it through sharp corners in 3rd.

I was having a minor problem with it.

2 factors with mine -

1st is clutch the way it works it has to be all the way in or it will stall.

2nd turning idle up helped a lot.

But I only had bottom to 1/8 or 1/4 throttle stall nothing where I was in midair problems ?

Why would we chop the throttle on the face of a jump with a 4 stroke. Sounds like whoever wrote that had been riding a 2 stroke too long. :D

Yes it stalls easily! I've stalled this beast more times in six hours of moto than I've stalled my last 6 bikes over the last ten years. I'd say it only happens when I'm goofing off and just rolling around but I've stalled a couple of times while attempting to make aggressive passes on real tight inside lines. It is always a surprise and a finger on the clutch couldn't save it. Wouldn't be a problem but I had my weight over the front and when it stalls it locks up the rear tire and I work hard to not go over the bars. My only fall on the 450 was the result of a stall while trying to pass in a tight turn the first day on the bike. I sped the idle up a little and quit having any problems when riding at speed but that may be that I'm getting more used to the bike. I worry that if I try any trail riding on technical stuff I will be stalling all over the place. Could be me, I'm a pretty good 2 stroke rider and just getting started on 4 bangers.

BTW - I'm an X pro rider and was the fastest person on the track when doing all this stalling. Quite embarrassing. ?

KT

Kyle, when I got my my 426 is downright embarrasing. I would stall and not be able to restart the thing. I wished I had brought my 2 stroke with me. I kept at it and figured out how to ride it. I took both bikes out the next weekend and rode the 2 stroke for one lap and came back in. I sold it the next week.

A guy with your riding ability will figure it out.

I did stall mine in mid air and just about went over the bars. It only did it once but that is enough. It wasn't a very big jump but it still would have hurt. It was my bikes first ride so maybe it will run a little looser after it fully breaks in.

Thanks Guys!

WFO nice write up, it's what I want to hear.

I've been Blue since 99 (99 400 & 02 250F), I had some problems stalling early on, it was all riding style. Haven't heard or seen the problem since 2000. I was spoked because of the early posts and D.B. mentioning it in there lastest Rag on the 2003 450F.

The bike sounds sweet (can't go wrong with any 03 models, Blue-Red-Orange).

I only HOPE this bike replaces my 250F!!!!! Life will be Grand!

I had a 99YZ400 and an 01YZ426. They both stalled really easy, and suddenly. It would seem like the YZF was lugging along OK and then it was like it just hit a wall and stopped dead. I was of course in the wrong gear and learned if you rode right, it wasn't a problem. Too much rear brake would do it too. The bikes also didn't retart if you locked up the brake (ie bumpstart), unless you were quick with the compression release lever.

I now have a CRF (even though I am a blue guy, a whole nother story) and I was pleased to find out it didn't stall as easy as the 426. It also bumpstarts much easier, so if you do lock up the rear brake it usually restarts if you have any speed left. I attributed this to the automatic compression release feature on the CRF. Certainly the ease of bumpstarting has to be because of the ACR. So I was thinking that the new YZ450F should be way better about stalling and bumpstarting than the 426.

Is this true or not? There has to be tons of you guys who have upgraded your YZFs.

My YZ450 bump starts pretty easy (by bump start I assume you mean rolling and "popping" the clutch).... I locked up and stalled when slamming the brakes a 'couple times when over jumping into a tight corner....and a quick clutch pop fired her right back up both times.

I did have my 450 stall once on a jump. It was my third ride on the bike with approximately 2.5hours on it. I did not chop the throttle on the jump. If I had, the bike would have done a rather sudden nose dive, which it didn't. I had previously owned a 00 426 so I know what can happen. The bike has only done this once, I had jumped the bike numerous times before this incident and many times since without a stall. I don't know why the bike stalled this one time only. I can tell you my bike did not like to idle at first and the more bike has run the better it has performed. I have turned up the idle slightly which has contributed to the improvement. All I do know is I don't want that to happen again. I was fortunate that the bike restarted before I was to be pitched over the bars.

Hope this helps.

I think the 2 smokes stall just as often, but when they stall you dont always realize it because it bumps starts right back up. The 4stroke when it stalls usally involves stopping and kicking it. Took me several rides to get rid of the stalling problem, must have been my technique. CAsue it doesnt stall anymore.