Sign in to follow this  

96-01 to 02-up YZ Tank Conversion Information

1996-2001 TO 2002-UP YZ TANK CONVERSION INFORMATION

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=46308

Since I posted my 99 yz125’s newer tank conversion, I’ve had a lot of requests on how I did it. The conversion will only require a 2002-up tank and radiator shrouds, 4 brackets that will relocate the tank to frame bolts and the shroud to radiator bolts, and some bolts and washers. There are also a few other small modifications that you will have to do.

Seat/frame protector:

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=46453

The 96-01 seat will work with the new tank, but you will have to remove some plastic where the seat slides into the tab on the tank to allow it to slide up farther. The rubber piece that sits between the tank and the frame backbone should be moved up farther on the frame so that that tank fits snuggly on the bike with minimal movement. After you position it correctly, use a zip-tie to fasten it in place.

Radiators:

The tab where the shrouds bolt to the radiators will have to be bent out since the newer style shrouds bolt to the radiators at an angle rather than straight on as the older ones do. This can be done with a hand brake or any pair of pliers.

Brackets:

To mount the new tank you will need 4 brackets. Two will move the tank-to-frame bolt down one inch; the other two will relocate the radiator shroud-to-radiator bolt up one inch. I made my brackets out of 3/16 6061 aluminum with two holes, one inch apart on center. One hole should be tapped to accommodate an M6 bolt and the other I drilled with an M8, not threaded.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=46452

I realize that not everyone has the ability or time to make these brackets so I am working with a friend of mine who owns a machine shop to make some that I could make available to everyone that would include the hardware.

I have only done this conversion on my 99 125. I would assume that this would work for any 96-01 yz 2 stroke since the tanks are the same. If anyone has done this on a 250 or other year bike that can confirm this let me know.

• Like 2

Just ordered a tank and shrouds, cougar seriously a sick mod!

Do they hold up with serious riding?

Good question. How does this mod hold up to serious riding?

Keep us posted on the brackets. I will definitely be interested.

I have had my tank mounted for about 5 months now and it does not have any play in it at all. It has survived quite a few motos and a few nasty get offs. Once you get the rubber piece in the right spot you will feel the tank slide down in place. Once the brackets are mounted it is every bit as sturdy as the old tank.

For those wondering about the frame, I used this stuff: http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?grp=P2&dept=8

The idea behind these brackets looks a lot like DrD's radiator lowering kit for the YZF's.

The cool part of Cougars mod is not having to change the seat, subframe and airbox. Thats hundreds worth of savings.

I will let you guys know how my conversion goes as soon as I get the parts.

FYI it's a 2001 YZ 125. Hopefully going to be using 2003 parts.

any updates on the brackets? And I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean by m6/m8 bolts/tapping?

I know this thread is soo old, but have you completed the brackets? I am VERY interested! I have been wanting to do this mod for a long time, and deffently beats buying a new frame! :ride:

yeah man, this is awesome! If you've made any headway on the brackets hardware kit, please let us know.

If not, any machine shop should be able to make the brackets for you at a reasonable fee. It's pretty straightforward. WITH Cougar207's permission of course, print the pic of his brackets and take it to a local machine shop tell them "3/16 6061 aluminum with two holes, one inch apart on center. One hole should be tapped to accommodate an M6 bolt and the other drilled with an M8, not threaded. "

That should get you the brackets. I would HIGHLY re-inforce that this is Cougar207's work.. not mine or anyone elses... PLEASE ask his permission to repoduce first.

I've done the conversion. I made my own brackets out of 40x40x3mm aluminum angle. Also some ally radiator cages with the shroud brackets. I'll get some pictures up soon when its all done.

• Like 1