Fingers on levers???

I'm a girl and have been riding motocross for two years. I will start racing this year and I want to put the accent on techniques. I've heard that it's better to ride with a finger on each lever (index for the brake and middle finger for the clutch). The only problem is when I do that, I feel I don't have a good grip and I have less control over the bike. My fingers seem to be too short even if I get the levers closer. Is this technique absolutely necessary to keep you speed and not waste time? If so, I will just practice it... Is there a better way or a trick you could give me?

I use my index finger on both sides at all times. If you grip the bike more with your legs you wont need to hold onto the bars so tightly. That will help with you being more comfortable on the bike without all of your fingers wraped around the grips and also helps with arm pump. So focus on loosening up your hands, holding the bike more with your legs and keeping your weight forward. Think of it as the bike is pushing your body forward under acceleration instead of trying to pull you off the back. Hope that helps some.

i've always ridden one finger on the clutch (index) one on the front brake, after i broke my ankle and was out of riding for 2 months i found i couldn't grip the bars like i used to, so i got one of them hand excise thing's used it half an hour a day and after two week my grip was back to normal, and grip the tank, best way to stay stable on the bike is grip the tank..

I use two fingers on the clutch for starts, one while riding. On the brake, I use two fingers for hard braking, and one for light braking. I also have my levers moved inward on my bars so the pull is easier. Ya know? Longer lever can move anything easier than a short lever. Adjust it to your hand size and try it out.

I almost always do both as a habit but one of my trainers(whom used to be one of the top national guys back in the day) prefers to only keep the clutch side in case fatigue or mental error sets in and you grab a lever on accident. This guy is quick, too. In his mid 30's, I watched him run with Alessi on his pro debut. Anyone know which track that was truely at?????????

Let it grow on you..most people who keep fingers on the levers go so damn fast they need all the reaction time they can get, and really don't have time to take their fingers off the bars and place them on the levers. Over time you will naturally begin to do it, no need to be worried about it.

Let it grow on you..most people who keep fingers on the levers go so damn fast they need all the reaction time they can get, and really don't have time to take their fingers off the bars and place them on the levers. Over time you will naturally begin to do it, no need to be worried about it.

I agree. Although you're always told one finger should be on clutch and front brake at all times its easier said than done. If you don't have one finger on them, your fingers grab those levers so fast when needed that there doesn't seem to be any time lost anyway. I'm a girl too and I've never been able to keep the finger on the front brake at all times no matter how hard I try. I don't even worry about it anymore. I raced for years and in the end it never really mattered. Sometimes I notice the fingers are where they should be and sometimes they're not. Also, I use two fingers for the clutch. No matter what I try I still need two fingers. Maybe its because my hands are smaller. So if you do too don't worry about it. Whatever feels comfortable and works for you. The important thing is to just keep practicing so your reaction time is fast and your responses are tight.

use what feels good for you, i think two on the clutch if you have small hands or not enogh finger power. also the pull is much more easy on tip of the lever, so set up those levers. it's all down to personal preferense. and yes most fast guys use 1or2 on clutch and samo for brake but if you look in to road racing there's this guy called valentino rossi on moto gp and he uses 4on front brake (he is not so slow;)

• 3 weeks later...

:excuseme: Maybe smithie is really using that finger for clutch!

But back on topic: I always used my full fou fingers on the clutch. After reading this topic 2 weeks ago and Gary's 10 MX tips I forced myself to put only 2 fingers on the clutch. After 2 hours of riding i was getting comfortable with it. Now I can use the clucth faster and longer out of a turn, it also helps me to prevent bogging or stalling in the corners when i have to brake for someone in the same rut in front of me!:confused:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I also agree... For both speed and safety reasons, when riding fast, you'll need instant access to your levers. I ride with my middle finger on the clutch and middle finger on the front brake lever.

One finger on the clutch at all times. That alone has saved me many times going thru whoops and having the front end drop. Having one finger on it already, I am able to just stab the clutch and pull the front back up. Brake lever, as you back off the throttle (roll your wrist forward), put your finger out so it lands on top of your brake lever. Use the front brake, and as you accelerate out of the corner take it off the lever and tuck it back under. I never really grip the bars with that finger, I just kind of tuck it away with the rest of my fingers, but it is always loose. If you leave it out all the time, it makes it harder to overgrip and get full rotation of the throttle tube. Hope that makes sense....