grey, difference between 03 and 04 450's

Have a 04 looking at a 03 for my son...has alot of extras, full exhaust system, ASV, upper and lower tripple clamps, protaper, black excels, new starcross tires, n style gripper seat, stainless steal oil filter, other stuff.

Wonder what the difference beside being a fire breather to ride...geomtry, or did they use the same frame? Cant tell by naked eye.

2300 dollars

Thanks for any help you can provide

Bill

I've got an 02 426 and an 03 450 and I want to die after doing any woods riding because you have to be Hercules to pull the dang things in! How did you fix it? I saw a mod about drilling a hole right next to the pivot hole, but it seemed that you would have to pull the clutch much farther to get it to disengage.

Also, the clutch on my 426 is really grabby. By that, I mean that you can't get a smooth start. You start releasing the clutch and you better be ready because it all of a sudden just about jumps out from underneath you...

Any thoughts???

I've got an 02 426 and an 03 450 and I want to die after doing any woods riding because you have to be Hercules to pull the dang things in! How did you fix it? I saw a mod about drilling a hole right next to the pivot hole, but it seemed that you would have to pull the clutch much farther to get it to disengage.

Also, the clutch on my 426 is really grabby. By that, I mean that you can't get a smooth start. You start releasing the clutch and you better be ready because it all of a sudden just about jumps out from underneath you...

Any thoughts???

My '03 had a full Hinson in it, and the GYT-R release arm. The quickest way to get the light pull element of that setup is to buy the GYT-R plate kit for the '03, which should still include the arm, and the Hinson pressure plate and springs. Invest in the basket too, if yours is beat up. The OEM boss is OK, and is so much cheaper that the Hinson that you could replace it every year for 4 years without matching the price of the aftermarket one.

Note: the GYT-R release arm is only intended for the early '03 that has the clutch cable running down behind the engine to a 90 degree cable guide. The very last '03's made had the '04-'05 setup with the cable running down the front of the frame and along the left of the cylinder.

The '02 should not be grabby if it's complete and all OEM parts. There should be a conical spring and a narrow steel ring at the bottom of the stack (the parts book calls these the "boss spring" and the "seat plate"). If it has had an aftermarket clutch kit installed, these may be missing.

A notched basket or boss, old "baked" plates, and damaged cushion units (the spring assembly in the primary gear) can also cause a grabby clutch.

The two are nearly identical. The frames are the same, as is all the geometry. The '04 had a significantly better fork, a slightly refined ignition map, and Ti pegs. The '04 also had an upgraded rod bearing.

I thought they changed the forks in 05 and then again in 06 to the system they are using now.?:applause:

I thought they changed the forks in 05 and then again in 06 to the system they are using now.?:applause:
They did. But they also changed them in '04 from the 46mm single chamber KYB to the 48mm SC fork, which is still used on the brand new WR450 models. Then they went to the AOSS twin chamber fork in '05, and then to the current SSS fork in '06.

i have an 03 has been an excellant bike.the clutch was really grabby and jerked on take off since day one.the $109 gytr kit cured this problem.i also bought an 05 clutch cable,bracket and actuating arm and my clutch pull is much better.believe grayracer has all the changes a little better frontfork,ti-pegs and the 03 i hear hits a little harder .

• 5 months later...

The clutch in my 03 gets SUPER grabby/chatty when it gets hot....Practicing starts on pavement (SM) for 20 mins straight gets it hot in a hurry. Let it cool down for 30 mins and its back to smooth as butter.

Iv never owned a bike that has a hard clutch pull....call me popeye or start using the $8 dougnuts @ the parts counter @ your dealer (every place Iv been has the little display with them-buy the red ones!) and work those forearms!