How I mounted a R left side number plate.

This is how I mounted a R left side number plate.

You have to cut open the top of your air box 1st to do this mod.

Please do this at your own risk. If you mess up the door you can replace it for very cheap.

First off I did this to ease the abuse on my preprinted backgrounds on my bike from practice. That way my bike looks fresh on race day. I’m not going to “just buy an R” because I like my X and my E button.

The 1st step is to cut off the number plate from the door. You can remove it before you cut it and it makes it a little easier. I cut it from the outside in to ensure a nice straight line. You will have to trim the fins in order to get the number plate to fit behind the door. Don’t reinstall the door until you epoxy the new tab in place.

cutdoor.jpgdoorcut.jpg

Next you need to cut the number plate to fit the frame and air box door frame. I used a razor blade to make all my cuts. Take your time and test fit it threw out the process. Do not throw out the pieces that you cut off. You will need them to make the tab to close the door.

plate.jpg100_4962.jpgplate2.jpg

Unfortunately I didn’t take any pictures of this process so I’ll have to try to explain it in text. Sand down the center fin on the air box door to help the epoxy to set up properly. See picture to locate the fin that I put the tab on. I have to find out what epoxy it was that I used. I’ll update later with that info. It’s a two part plastic epoxy that I got from Ace Hardware. I used the U shaped piece in stead of just a single piece of plastic because of tests that I did to see what type worked best. Take the U piece that you got off the number plate and sand down the interior of the plastic piece to help with the epoxy. Clean off the parts before the epoxy is applied. Smash down the U piece to as flat as possible. Mix up the epoxy on a piece of card board. Apply it liberally on the fin and on the inside of the u piece. Slip you U piece over the fin and clamp it in place. Let this set up for the time that the epoxy says and at the recommended temp. Don’t take the chance of messing this up just because you can’t be patient. After the epoxy has set up drill a hole in the U tab to accept a large zip tie for later use.

tab.jpgDoor.jpg

While the epoxy is setting up get a piece of tie wire and wrap it around the bracket that held in place the snorkel. Make sure you have no sharp ends that could cut the air filter.

TieWire.jpgtiewire2.jpg

Once the epoxy is set up re mount the door on the air box, and put a short zip tie in the tab on the door. Do not cut the zip ties twist off the loose end with pliers and it will not be sharp.

100_3599.jpg

Next take another large zip tie and loop it threw the zip tie on the door and up threw the hole in the top of the air box.

closure.jpg100_4968.jpg

Then secure the zip tie to the tie wire that is on the snorkel support. Again don’t cut the zip tie twist the loose end off. You don’t have to pull it to tight to hold the door shut it stays with minimal pressure. If you tighten it too much it will bend in the face of the door.

Closed.jpg

Then put on the number plate and go ride. I’ve had this done for a few months with no issues what so ever. Your air filter will collect more so keep an eye on your air filter.

100_4965.jpg

100_3154.jpg

Nice write up:thumbsup: That is one sharp bike. One of these days I'll make mine look somewhat respectable.........maybe not. I don't think I will ever stop dropping my bike.

Nice write up:thumbsup: That is one sharp bike. One of these days I'll make mine look somewhat respectable.........maybe not. I don't think I will ever stop dropping my bike.

Thanks. It takes a lot of work to make it look like that but it's worth it.

I appreciate your efforts and time should anyone wish to change to an R side panel.

But let's be brutally honest, who could be arse to do that? There aren't any benefits other than making your X look like an R.

I appreciate your efforts and time should anyone wish to change to an R side panel.

But let's be brutally honest, who could be arse to do that? There aren't any benefits other than making your X look like an R.

in the origional post i said.

First off I did this to ease the abuse on my preprinted backgrounds on my bike from practice. That way my bike looks fresh on race day. I’m not going to “just buy an R” because I like my X and my E button.

that's pretty cool. looks like it might even get some extra fresh air.

great write up, and great job. im gonna have to do that to my x someday

Thanks guys I was hoping that it would not go un noticed.

hit the set, you posted the a/b door could be purchased for little money...where? thanks!

TT oem store. part number

17211-KSC-000

I think that it was under $30.00 for the replacement cover.

Looks clean man(bike and job).Is the air filter still easy to access?