Sign in to follow this  

I'm considering freshening my engine up.......

I've had my 06 450 for about a year and a half now. I have no idea how many hours are on it. I only get to ride a couple of times a month. It is running fine I just feel like it is time to rebuild it. What should I replace? I know I should do the piston and rings. I am going to buy valves and springs, but what else should I do?

I did just rings after 1 year. Didnt need piston. Definitely wont need valves.

If you are going to buy a piston anyway, get a high compression piston and gasket (thinner gasket) and you will get more power. When I took mine apart to do the rings I cleaned up the valves and valve seats real good.

I did just rings after 1 year. Didnt need piston. Definitely wont need valves.

If you are going to buy a piston anyway, get a high compression piston and gasket (thinner gasket) and you will get more power. When I took mine apart to do the rings I cleaned up the valves and valve seats real good.

did yo have to reshim it?

I have a shim kit from hotcams so I do a reshim once or twice a year as needed. It was a bit out when it was brand new but hasnt moved much since.

I cant remember exactly but I would have put in whatever shims it needed once I cleaned it all up.

I did the rings and cleaned the valves up because I was losing compression when the bike was cold and when I pulled it apart there was lots of carbon build up. I think I still have a picture...

PA170132.JPG

PA170135.JPG

After new rings and a clean she was 110% perfect again.

Edit: I didnt get a pic after I cleaned it, but I used sandpaper and steel wool (yes I know it sounds harsh) but its actually softer than the head and valves so it cleaned it up pefectly without scratching at all! It looked brand new when I was done.

I dont have a valve spring compression tool. Did you just clean the head without taking out the valves? Did you replace the timing chain?

I "created" a valve compression tool using a C-clamp and some metal pipe. It didnt work so well and was very hard to use. I took out 1 valve but didnt bother with the others.

So yeah I just cleaned it as best I could.

Nope, kept the same chain... still within spec.