New 07 Owner (Ridgecrest CA)

I just picked up an new (dealer old stock) 07 450x today along with an 07 CRF230 for the wife. We have ridden both about 20 miles. The manual states that break-in is 15 miles of riding. Is this what everyone here has done also it seems rather short. The bike seems to pop on decel I assume this is from the AIS or smog equipment? Anyway I am new here I am in Ridgecrest CA is there anyone with an X from Ridgecrest here?….thanks for having me….

Dust Devil is your Neighbor

Get it Jetted, and airbox opened up first off and get some guards. Flatland Rad and Skid Guards. Also do yourself a favor and get a 3.2 IMS tank

JB weld up that smog pump.

I highly recommend this Jetting setup.

Main Jet: 168

Needle: NCVS Part # 16233-MEN-671

Needle Clip Position: 3rd from Top

Fuel Screw: Stock

Fuel Screw Setting: 2 Turns

Pilot Jet: Start off stock and then go to a 42 when it warms up

Or you can do the JD Jet kit

Also look in my garage there are pics of everything. If you don't find what you need let me know i probably have a pic of it.

I see that you are in Bakersfield. I will have to try and contact Dust Devil. I was planning on getting a tank for it....so is the popping due to the jetting? Is the jetting something I can do myself? It looks like the store here only sells the Flatland guards for thr 05-06 models will those fit my 07?

Dust Devil is probably riding off 395 right now, well actually he's having a few beers right this sec..lol There is a riding trip in Mick City that im sure he is attending.

Yes im from Bakersfield, currently living in Colorado due to work.

The 450x comes very lean from the factory to get the green sticker. Jetting is very easy to do, and yes you can do it yourself. Slow jet in that artical is also the Pilot jet. You can hold off on this and just buy the Needle and Main jet from you local dealer, as i suggested above. Should only cost like $20 to do, minus the pilot. The pilot is another $15

http://crfsonly.com/howto/450x/jetting/crf450x-how-to-jet-needle.php

Thanks for the help....will the bike running lean damage it or will it be ok for a week or 2?

Thanks for the help....will the bike running lean damage it or will it be ok for a week or 2?

It will be fine til you get it jetted in a couple weeks but id definatly get that needle ordered up. Lean jetting will result in the bike running hot. Being cold out you'll be fine. Not that if you run it stock for 3-4 months its gonna thrash it, it's just not a good idea. You found a great place with alot of great people who are very willing to help. There are alot of guys on X's that ride in your area too. Im one of them.

I assume that I need to order that needle and jets form my dealer:excuseme:

I will get them ordered right away. I will start with the setting you have given me and go from there.... I hope to meet some people locally to ride with. :applause:

Sorry I guess I didnt read your prior post about ordering from the dealer...

I assume that I need to order that needle and jets form my dealer:excuseme:

I will get them ordered right away. I will start with the setting you have given me and go from there.... I hope to meet some people locally to ride with. :)

Sorry I guess I didnt read your prior post about ordering from the dealer...

:applause: The main jet will be in stock, or should be anyways. There are always rides going on in the Dez. Check the www.crfsonly.com message boards too. Alot of good info over there too. Alot of guys from here are there. Im sure more will chime in later with other suggestions. Also check the stickies above. In both forums.

I just picked up an new (dealer old stock) 07 450x today along with an 07 CRF230 for the wife. We have ridden both about 20 miles. The manual states that break-in is 15 miles of riding. Is this what everyone here has done also it seems rather short. The bike seems to pop on decel I assume this is from the AIS or smog equipment? Anyway I am new here I am in Ridgecrest CA is there anyone with an X from Ridgecrest here?….thanks for having me….

Congrats and welcome!:applause:

Congratulations on the new 450X. As luck would have it I too picked up my '07 from the dealer yesterday. When I picked it up, the guy mentioned that the break in would be 3 tanks of fuel which should be accompanied by an oil change. Certainly not "gospel" by any means, just a little more info obtained while taking delivery of my bike.

first thing 1fullqt in the trans.

Congratulations on the new 450X. As luck would have it I too picked up my '07 from the dealer yesterday. When I picked it up, the guy mentioned that the break in would be 3 tanks of fuel which should be accompanied by an oil change. Certainly not "gospel" by any means, just a little more info obtained while taking delivery of my bike.

I noticed that te manual says 15 miles my salesman told me 1 tank of fuel...

first thing 1fullqt in the trans.

I was going to change the oil after the 1 tank of fuel and do it then. I was planning on using the Honda oil...

I to am a new 450x owner. I bought a new 06 x and I did the skoot22 mods.

They work great and are less expensive than the full kits that are out there.

I have never worked on an x bike before. However I went to the CRF's only website and followed the step by step instructions and it only took me about 2 hours to do the rejetting. It is much easier to do than you would think.

The smog pump mod is also a piece of cake to do.

If you have any problems just post it up someone will be glad to help you.

They have helped me a 100 times over in the last 3 months.

I did have to wait 3 days for my jet needle to come in to the local dealer as it was not in stock.

Have fun with it.

Happy to see you on board.

I just ordered up a Flatlkand Racing skidplate and rad guards....I will have to wait until next week to get the jets and needles my local dealer is closed Sunday and Monday

I have both a 230F and a 450X. I re-jetted both bikes... What difference it made, especially on the 230F. It was such a dog. The extra power will actually make the bike easier to ride for your wife. This forum is awesome and the folks here have great info.

I was going to change the oil after the 1 tank of fuel and do it then. I was planning on using the Honda oil...

Yes the honda red bottle in the trans is good stuff. I used it for a while and switched to Maxima MTL on the tranny side. I like the MTL better. Shifts smoother. The full quart in the tranny side is not necessarly needed on the 07's but it is a good idea and cheap insurance. I use Maxxima Maxum 4 Extra on the motor side. Also change the oil filter after break in. Honda oils are good oils too from what i have heard.

MTL in the tranny .......... For the motor, Maxum 4 Extra

MTL_G.jpgMXM4EXG.jpg

I noticed that te manual says 15 miles my salesman told me 1 tank of fuel...

Dont lug it, i think i broke mine in for about 15-20 miles. I just rode it, not real hard but not real easy either.I Just went through the gears and played around.

I have 35 on it now and I think I am done with the easy stuff.... Tuesday I will get the jetting parts either bought or ordered....as well as get the oil changed..