Waterproof Pants

I'm asking the same questions and looking for the same thing as you.....durable, waterproof off-road riding pants.

They ain't cheap but I'm eyeballing the MSR ISDE 6 day enduro pant. Tried some on at Cliff's Cycle Center. They felt good and seemed well-built. I'm most concerned about snaring brush and withstanding the occassional spills I take.

I don't if there is such thing as a long-term waterproof riding pant but it makes a good marketing ploy.

Anyone else have experience with these in the field?

For the past 8 years or so I have been using either Stearns or Kirkland brand nylon rain gear purchased at Costco for about $30 a set. I wear them over my regular riding gear and they last for about 2 years on the pants and 3 or 4 years on the jacket.

I also shop sales at the Helly Hansen outlet store in Centralia. I picked up a pair of their rugged Helly-Tech waterproof pants several years ago and they have held up nicely.

I once considered getting real-motorcycle-style waterproof pants, but couldn't justify the cost. So, in 8 years, I'm up to about $100 total for the 2 sets of rain gear from Costco and 1 set of pants from Helly Hansen.

I have the MSR ISDE over the boot pants. They are at least 3 years old and are holding up great. I'm noticing some wear in the area where my boots rub the frame and trap the pants in between. My only complaint is they are old enough they don't have any zippers or velcrox openings on the bottom and can be a little tough to pull back down over the boots. I like having a pocket on the pants too. Though I don't consider the pocket water proof.

Paul,

Contact Rocky Mountain - I bet you they'll send you a brand new pair. Any time we have had any problems, they have had the best customer service!

I tried the ARC "Backcountry" pants and my "backcountry" was exposed in three rides through a ripped out seam. Anyone have any suggestions for some rugged durable waterproof pants?

Paul B

They have allready told me I can exchange them or return them no sweat. I don't want another pair of pants that I am confident will not last for their intended use. Has anyone tried the Joe Rocket Ballistic stuff? I think they are designed for street use but look pretty stout.

Paul B

THOR Ride gear....I like the pants, and the jacket. Have held up well, and keep me dry, even at Tahuya in the rain ?

my $.02

I like the 2006 gear better than 2007....just me

Another vote for the Thor Ride pants. If only I could keep the water out of my boots then all would be good.

I run the MSR ISDE '07 pants and jacket. The pants will take the beating. I recommend spraying the crotch area with a little extra waterproofing: I use REI waterproof treatment "for waterproof fabrics". With enough movement and abrasion, you cannot make the center fabric seam stay waterproof - you're gonna compromise it a little.

another vote for Moose expedition, work for wet and cold weather here, of course not nearly the rain here that you coastal guys get, mine are starting to wear out and probably will buy again, Thor and Msr I see a lot around here also, Klim for the guys that can afford it, good luck.