Deep Water crossing.

Almost didn't make it out of this one.

P2160022.jpg

holy smokes that looks interesting do you have a video of you going acrossed

No the rut under the water is so bad the tire just spun. Resting on the pegs.

That's deep, but I've crossed water just above my air box cover. It can be done, just don't stop if you can help it. Oh, and I don't like it nor do I make a habit of it.

That's a sweet pic though........

That's deep, but I've crossed water just above my air box cover. It can be done, just don't stop if you can help it. Oh, and I don't like it nor do I make a habit of it.

I agree. But one thing I find is the bad air box design by KTM. My 2001 400EXC has holes all over it. The airbox itself is made of different square panels just riveted together. The cover goes on with just some kind of DUZ fastener with no real seal on it. Then the rear number panels insert into the airbox with big gaps for water to enter all over. (Shame on you KTM) Did you think we were not going to cross any water ? :applause:

I have sealed the bottom of the airbox using windsheild urethane, where all the panels meet, and am using spray foam to seal the rest of the holes where the other panels go into it. I am installing a 1/4inch door foam from the hardware store on the cover to seal it. Now water will only be able to enter at the very top where the battery is mounted, under the seat. I might even make a 1/2 inch lip at the front so water gets splashed around the hole instead of entering and falling directly onto the air filter.

My XR has an excellent airbox design that is completely sealed except for the square hole at the top. I have never had any water in it and have crossed water up to the seat many many times.

I agree. But one thing I find is the bad air box design by KTM. My 2001 400EXC has holes all over it. The airbox itself is made of different square panels just riveted together. The cover goes on with just some kind of DUZ fastener with no real seal on it. Then the rear number panels insert into the airbox with big gaps for water to enter all over. (Shame on you KTM) Did you think we were not going to cross any water ? :applause:

I have sealed the bottom of the airbox using windsheild urethane, where all the panels meet, and am using spray foam to seal the rest of the holes where the other panels go into it. I am installing a 1/4inch door foam from the hardware store on the cover to seal it. Now water will only be able to enter at the very top where the battery is mounted, under the seat. I might even make a 1/2 inch lip at the front so water gets splashed around the hole instead of entering and falling directly onto the air filter.

My XR has an excellent airbox design that is completely sealed except for the square hole at the top. I have never had any water in it and have crossed water up to the seat many many times.

:) dang...after you completely seal the box are you gonna add a snorkel?how deep water do you cross?

The sealing still sucks on the 08 models. Several gaps where the airbox mates with the rear fender so water easily enters as the rear wheel sprays it on the fender. I found out the hard way that even on shallow water crossings, like lots of puddles a foot or two deep, a lot of water and mud can get into the airbox.

The worst thing is that the bottom of the airbox is sealed near perfectly, except for a small drain hole. So as water comes in, it has a hard time getting out, especially once some mud gets in and starts to clog the drain hole. This water then finds its way through your air filter with predictable results.

I've sealed the inside of the rear fender with some back duct tape, hopefully that will keep most of the water out. And I'm going to try to remember to check/clean the drain hole on wet rides.

Whever crossing deep water, I stop and look into my airbox or even pull the airfilter to make sure no water got past. There's been times I've had to wring out my airfilter and wipe water out of the intake boot. I like the easy access airbox but it sux for water crossings and is my biggest gripe with the KTM. Such a supreme off-road bike should have an equally supreme airbox. :applause:

You guys wanted an airbox that is sealed??? That will turn the bike into a toad!

First trick is the carb vent hoses that hang down, one of them must go up!

The sealing still sucks on the 08 models. Several gaps where the airbox mates with the rear fender so water easily enters as the rear wheel sprays it on the fender. I found out the hard way that even on shallow water crossings, like lots of puddles a foot or two deep, a lot of water and mud can get into the airbox.

The worst thing is that the bottom of the airbox is sealed near perfectly, except for a small drain hole. So as water comes in, it has a hard time getting out, especially once some mud gets in and starts to clog the drain hole. This water then finds its way through your air filter with predictable results.

I've sealed the inside of the rear fender with some back duct tape, hopefully that will keep most of the water out. And I'm going to try to remember to check/clean the drain hole on wet rides.

I have not had any problems like that. Do you go swimming a lot there? I have gone through some deep stuff and not too much debris in there. There is some every ride. but you got to keep it clean.

I believe that would be about the air box. :cry: And is possible just don't stop. Slow and steady.:applause: then you can start breathing again and your across.

Or you can try a wheelee threw it.:)

Thanks

You guys wanted an airbox that is sealed??? That will turn the bike into a toad!

I disagree. My crf250x airbox was sealed including the side access door. The only air entrance was on top. Even after removing the top snorkel and cutting the top of the airbox out, no water would get in unless you darn near completely submersed the bike. It was no toad either. The KTM rear fender alone funnels water and mud down it into the airbox. I do have 2 vent lines up and 2 down btw.

........ The KTM rear fender alone funnels water and mud down it into the airbox..

Funnels? well lucky mine didn't. And when I looked back the back tire was shooting muddy water everywhere. Covering the back of the bike. When I got the bike out I opened the airbox and there was about a tablespoon on water in it.

I do have 2 vent lines up and 2 down btw

A must!

Here are some of the trails we ride. Northern Ontario is like the Amazon my friends !! I made it across this one safely. But my buddies didn't! :applause:

The beavers are busy up here damming every little stream to preserve their way of life with the impending end of the world caused by global warming.

Aug4-07013.jpg

Aug4-07014.jpg

Aug4-07016.jpg

poleline.jpg

And my Sidekick has 35" tires on Dana44 front diff and rear Ford 9" with lockers and 5.89 gearing. :)

Swamped2.jpg

Agree, we do not want to seal the airbox completely, you still need a functional one way valve on the bottom so it can drain itself when you pull out of the water.(or you can stop and squeeze it by hand). Agree about the vent lines also. But for KTM to design an airbox that can get contaminated with silt and water by simply crossing a 6" deep water puddle is ludacris. If I follow the water/mud splash from the rear tire up the rear fender, it enters the aibox. Do this all day long and after a 12-15 hour day, the airbox will need to be cleaned with a pressure washer. I know I do it all the time.

The airbox on my XR has been cleaned once last summer, and we travel the same type of terrain all the time. Also, the idea of having number panels that insert into the side of the airbox with slots that allow anything to enter the airway is plain stupid. Like I said, I have started to seal the airbox with a proper sealer and when it warms up, will fill the rear slots with good quality spray foam so as to not allow the splashing water to enter. I will post up some pics when I do.

Now water will only be able to enter at the very top where the battery is mounted, under the seat. I might even make a 1/2 inch lip at the front so water gets splashed around the hole instead of entering and falling directly onto the air filter.QUOTE]

I ride in ontario as well and always have the problem of mud and water coming in that gap between the seat and the fender. I cut a piece of foam that fills that gap and spray it with air filter oil. This stops all the dirt but still provides air flow. I tuck the foam in so that the rear seat bolt holds it on. I have to clean this "secondary filter" after every ride, amazing how much dirt, dust, and water it keeps out. I recommend it for any type of riding. D1k are those pictures from the haliburton/bobcaygeon area they look familiar? One more thing....which 2 vent hoses are you supposed to re-route?

One more thing....which 2 vent hoses are you supposed to re-route?

A pair or vent hoses come off the carb on the left and on the right. Take one of each pair (one from the left and one from the right) and route them to the top of the airbox. If you want you can use a plastic tee fitting to join the two hoses above the carb then only run a single vent line up to the airbox.

Now water will only be able to enter at the very top where the battery is mounted, under the seat. I might even make a 1/2 inch lip at the front so water gets splashed around the hole instead of entering and falling directly onto the air filter.QUOTE]

I ride in ontario as well and always have the problem of mud and water coming in that gap between the seat and the fender. I cut a piece of foam that fills that gap and spray it with air filter oil. This stops all the dirt but still provides air flow. I tuck the foam in so that the rear seat bolt holds it on. I have to clean this "secondary filter" after every ride, amazing how much dirt, dust, and water it keeps out. I recommend it for any type of riding. D1k are those pictures from the haliburton/bobcaygeon area they look familiar? One more thing....which 2 vent hoses are you supposed to re-route?

Good one Jimmy, I like the foam idea. i might try that. That pic from the poleline is from the Haliburton area. It originally comes from ODSC. I wanted to show all the water we have to deal with up here. Those beavers are flooding all of our trails. We have NO choice but to cross some deep water every ride.

Aug4-07014.jpg

LOL. That was a great day! I'm the color challenged guy with the CR. When we got to the crossing there was a floating mass of muskeg that had a crease down the middle that looked like it might be two seperate pieces so I told DRZ buddy to aim for that crease and drive through it as it split.

No sooner had the words come out of my mouth that he launched into it. Well it wasn't two pieces and it stopped him dead. He actually fell over into the water! Me and the two Yamaha riders watched it happen and we couldn't stop laughing. :banghead:

The humour was short lived as my CR sucked-in water trying to get by the DRZ. It took me about 20 minutes to get it kicked over again. :)

At the next crossing further down the trail, the WR450 rider got caught by a slimy log that layed him down, under the bike! He was trapped under water until we lifted the running bike off of him. Unfortunately, the bike sucked in water and it took another half hour to get that thing fired up again.

All in all it was a good, wet, day on the trail. :applause:

Sean :cry:

A pair or vent hoses come off the carb on the left and on the right. Take one of each pair (one from the left and one from the right) and route them to the top of the airbox. If you want you can use a plastic tee fitting to join the two hoses above the carb then only run a single vent line up to the airbox.
I disagree. My crf250x airbox was sealed including the side access door. The only air entrance was on top. Even after removing the top snorkel and cutting the top of the airbox out, no water would get in unless you darn near completely submersed the bike. It was no toad either. The KTM rear fender alone funnels water and mud down it into the airbox. I do have 2 vent lines up and 2 down btw.
One more thing....which 2 vent hoses are you supposed to re-route?

I recently took some pics of my 08 250 XCFW airbox area and posted them in http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607023 for break-in ride/maintenance. I was blown away by the opening and the carb area. I agree with the need to have good air flow, but agree with Dances w/ Trees that KTM could've done a better job with the airbox. Before I read through this post, I too was thinking that an additional layer of foam/filtering material would be a good addition - just need to figure out a bit of practical customizations to make it fit well/sturdy and simple install/reinstall to hold up over time.

I'm presuming that the 2 holes you guys are speaking of putting vent hoses on are these:

IMG_1921.jpg

The airbox compartment is is wide open: :)

IMG_1924.jpg

After washing, I opened up the airbox and found water on the filter and a little at the bottom of the airbox. Because of such an open airbox I think it will be not only important to have a clean filter, but have a well oiled filter and not let it get dry.

:applause:

I'm presuming that the 2 holes you guys are speaking of putting vent hoses on are these:

The ones I was talking about are stock vent lines that are on the outside of the carb. There are two on the top left and two on the top right. All four run down under the swingarm. One from each side should be vented to the airbox. With the stock setup the vent lines are under water once water is up to your swingarm.

You are correct, it is critical to have a good seal and a well oiled filter to keep water/dirt out. But even so, water can get through the foam filter, happened to me last weekend.