sheered off a bolt

is there a way to extract a bolt ? its sheered off under the rear fender, i have heard about an easy out but not sure if anyone had ideas

go to home depot and get a pro-out or something like that...its an easy out kit with like 3 different sizes and everything you need.....works like a charm. its like $20 but it pays for itself quickly

is there a way to extract a bolt ? its sheered off under the rear fender, i have heard about an easy out but not sure if anyone had ideas

OK, deal with easy outs. If the bolt broke taking it out, chances are real good the easy out will break trying to remove the stubborn bolt, then you have real problems. Just punch the center of the bolt, drill with a small drill. Just keep installing larger drills till you have almost all the bolt gone, but threads still in place. Then chase it with the proper tap.

OK, deal with easy outs. If the bolt broke taking it out, chances are real good the easy out will break trying to remove the stubborn bolt, then you have real problems. Just punch the center of the bolt, drill with a small drill. Just keep installing larger drills till you have almost all the bolt gone, but threads still in place. Then chase it with the proper tap.

+1 on that!:applause:

A seized bolt with a seized easy out is not a recipe for a happy life. The hardened steel of the easy out or just as worse, a broken drill bit is impossible to drill out. In that case you have gone from bad to worse. You must either drill out or soak with penetrating oil and pray hard my friend it works on the first go round with the easy out. I always opt for the easy out only if the bolt sheared with some certainty of either over torque or ham fistedness...rarely if it seized an broke on removal..NEVER if dis-similar metals and seized..IE a steel bolt or stud in an aluminum head snapping off in disassembly.

Just make sure the center punch is in the CENTER!! Don't just rush it and keep the drill plumb even if it takes a friend as a spotter to help!:cry:

good luck!:)

Do this. If you broke the head off then you should still be able to get the fender off. Get it off and then get an easy out kit. Drill the appropriate hole. Use as big of an easy out as you can. But not so big that you don't leave enough of the bolt to get a good hold of. Then insert the easy out and get it to take a good grip. Now, take a butane torch and heat up the aluminum area the bolt is in. Get it pretty hot. Then apply some pressure to the easy out. It should come right out. If not, keep heating until it comes out. The torch will not get hot enough to hut the triple clamp.

Try to find a reverse drill bit. As you drill the bolt the drill bit might snag and remove the broken bolt. Make sure you use prick punch and mark center. Use lots of penetrating oil. Also dose the bolt stick out the other side of what ever its threaded into? If so maybe a pair of vice grips will thread it out.

+1 on that!:applause:

A seized bolt with a seized easy out is not a recipe for a happy life. The hardened steel of the easy out or just as worse, a broken drill bit is impossible to drill out. In that case you have gone from bad to worse. You must either drill out or soak with penetrating oil and pray hard my friend it works on the first go round with the easy out. I always opt for the easy out only if the bolt sheared with some certainty of either over torque or ham fistedness...rarely if it seized an broke on removal..NEVER if dis-similar metals and seized..IE a steel bolt or stud in an aluminum head snapping off in disassembly.

Just make sure the center punch is in the CENTER!! Don't just rush it and keep the drill plumb even if it takes a friend as a spotter to help!:banghead:

good luck!:)

And a +1 back at ya Mike! :cry:

On a side note, when attempting to drill out a bolt, if at all possible(usually not we dont always get lucky) if the bolt slightly protrudes the surface, touch it up with a grinder or really coarse 3m pad. The flatter you can make the bolt, the easier it is to center punch and can allieviate the headaches of the bit walking on you

On a side note, when attempting to drill out a bolt, if at all possible(usually not we dont always get lucky) if the bolt slightly protrudes the surface, touch it up with a grinder or really coarse 3m pad. The flatter you can make the bolt, the easier it is to center punch and can allieviate the headaches of the bit walking on you

That right there is an excellant point.

Try to find a reverse drill bit. As you drill the bolt the drill bit might snag and remove the broken bolt. Make sure you use prick punch and mark center. Use lots of penetrating oil. Also dose the bolt stick out the other side of what ever its threaded into? If so maybe a pair of vice grips will thread it out.

+1 I use left hand twist bits on all my broken bolts and every time it catches and backs the broken part out. You'll probably have to go to a store that sells machine shop cutters and such to find one.

i was just about to say the same thing. Find a left-hand drill that is just smaller than the bolt. For examlple M8 is approx. .3125". Go to a left-hand 1/4" in this case. Once the drill has drilled most of the material away, it will get very near to the bottom, then the material left in the threads will start coming out. You can chase with the appropriate tap to clean up. Make sure you are square with the hole & turning the left-handed bit counter-clockwise.

p.s. don't forget the center-punch first to keep the drill from walking. That was sound advice.

happend to me this fall too dudes, only mines more serious, its the trans check bolt, it is going to be a bugger because the bolt is very little and is in the engine case a little ways, do they sell these easy outs and stuff like at wall mart store, because i dont have acces to all of thes huge fancy tool stroes like you guys

happend to me this fall too dudes, only mines more serious, its the trans check bolt, it is going to be a bugger because the bolt is very little and is in the engine case a little ways, do they sell these easy outs and stuff like at wall mart store, because i dont have acces to all of thes huge fancy tool stroes like you guys

They sell them at any auto parts store I would think. Also, any hardware store. I have broken off several oil drain plugs on cars before. I drill them out and use as big an easy out as I can. Then use a butane torch and heat the area around the bolt until it unscrews out easily. Drain the oil for along time first.

+1 I use left hand twist bits on all my broken bolts and every time it catches and backs the broken part out. You'll probably have to go to a store that sells machine shop cutters and such to find one.
They sell them at any auto parts store I would think. Also, any hardware store. I have broken off several oil drain plugs on cars before. I drill them out and use as big an easy out as I can. Then use a butane torch and heat the area around the bolt until it unscrews out easily. Drain the oil for along time first.

Auto Zone typically stocks left-hand drill bits. Other than that, McMaster-Carr is the only place I know of that would have them.