Sign in to follow this  

Broken rib protection?

Back in July 2006 I had a nasty crash. Life flight to a trauma center, the whole works. I'm "back in the saddle" again, raced 5 times in late 2007, and plan on 12 to 15 in 2008. Anyhow, I'm pretty much healed up except my ribs. What happened was the chest protector / roost guard is what broke six of my ribs on my right side, below and back a bit from my arm pit. The back section of the chest protector pushed into my side real hard and broke the ribs in a straight line. Five of the ribs have healed nicely according to x-rays taken a month ago, but one has not fused together, and may never according to my doctor. At the time of the accident, my lung cavities filled with blood and I stopped breathing, so they had to cut me open (without a local) and let the blood out so I could breath. Damn that hurt! I don't want this to happen again, so I need some good rib protection.

I'm looking for some good rib protection that will fit under a set of leathers such as worn by flattrack and road racers. My leathers have very good protection for the back / spine, the elbows and shoulders, but there is nothing but a single layer of leather where the broken ribs are at. So, what product is out there, if any, that offers protection for this area, and will fit under a set of leathers? Thanks.

I'm sure pro football players continue their sport with broken ribs. There has to be something a person can use to protect a busted up rib? Anybody?