Spaced out "whoops" in trails

Well in a trail near me there is a long straight up i guess you could say whoops. the whoops are spaced out a lil, but i cant figure out how to just fly over um. i have a drz 125, and can like go half-full throttle in 4th gear on them but it feels like I can easily lose control. I just lean back and pull on the bars after takin off of each of the whoops. anyone have better advice for me? thanks

It might have more to do with the suspension on your DRZ as it was never really meant to blitz through a whoops section.

Steve

It might have more to do with the suspension on your DRZ as it was never really meant to blitz through a whoops section.

Steve

:applause::):cry: thats exactly what i was thinking. but when i go over whoops like those on my yz i like to loft my front wheel into the air right when i shoot off the first one and try to hold it up as long as i can. to that i lean back a gas it hard

Try using your body to compensate for your suspension. Basically turn your legs and arms into shocks. Let the bike spring up into you and dampen with your arms and legs. This way the tires dont loose contact with the dirt and your bike doesnt bounce around, giving you that feeling of "no control."

Aside from that, buy a better bike :applause:

-Lou

Aside from that, buy a better bike :applause:

-Lou

well me having no income until this summer when I get a job, a new bike is out of the question, I got this one last Christmas. I was maybe gunna get a crf250r, because I want the power, but then again the money issue comes into play. Most likely I will just buy kx85 forks, clamps, cr85 rear shock, and get the rims, brakes, etc for both front and back.

And thanks for the info guys. I'll try to do what you said lou.

Yeah. The suspension isn't built for that. Try riding toward the sides where the whoops arent that deep. Not sure of your skill but you could try to double up every 2 whoops.

Good luck.

Thanks Jeekinz, I will try that too, I'll just maybe top 3rd gear or 1/2 throttle fourth and try to double them as well as lou's idea and see what works better for me.

Well in a trail near me there is a long straight up i guess you could say whoops. the whoops are spaced out a lil, but i cant figure out how to just fly over um. i have a drz 125, and can like go half-full throttle in 4th gear on them but it feels like I can easily lose control. I just lean back and pull on the bars after takin off of each of the whoops. anyone have better advice for me? thanks

No, always be pulling...never relieve the pressure of you pulling on the bars.

watch this video..his name is justin williamson and hes awsome in the trails and gives good advice..he will answer your question. go to 4:22 mins into the vid and he will tell you how to go through them..find the vid that says "hit the trail" its at the very bottom on the left.

http://www.williamsonracing.com/pages/videos.html

Thanks again to all that helped. yz250frider, that part of the vid helped with the explanation of staying full throttle, and once i start to get side ways let down a lil til its good and get back on it again.

how about some gas??? haha

yea i think the bike may have a little to do with it. How much do you weigh?

I weigh just under 130 i think , maybe I've passed it, haven't checked in some time.

your probably a little on the heavier side to try and hammer the whoops. Take it a bit slower or suck it up and take the abuse for the mean time until your ready for a bigger bike.

I'm physically, and mentally read for a 250 but financially not =(. o well I'm grateful for what I do have, and I will deal with the abuse, and try techniques given to me.

have you considered something cheaper like a little older 125 two stroke? they can be had awfully cheap and would be light years better than your current steed.

Bryce

I've considered, but my current bike is being financed right now, and I can't get a new bike at the moment.

well me having no income until this summer when I get a job, a new bike is out of the question, I got this one last Christmas. I was maybe gunna get a crf250r, because I want the power, but then again the money issue comes into play. Most likely I will just buy kx85 forks, clamps, cr85 rear shock, and get the rims, brakes, etc for both front and back.

You'll spend more trying to make all those mismatched parts work on your DRZ than you would have if you simply bought a used KX or CR85.

Another technique is to truly charge the whooped section. You mentioned you can take them in 4th gear..how much throttle are you using in 4th gear?

This is a 4-stroke technique...im not sure if you can apply something similar or not...just trying to help :applause: If you are approaching the whooped section in 4th gear, say half throttle, shift up about 5 yards before you enter them, but maintain the same amount of throttle. it should help to loft the front, keep power, and compensate for wheelspin when the back tire hits the front of each whoop. don't forget to get way back, keep the elbows up, and knees bent.

I can fly through whoops on a ttr 225 (that i was borrowing to show a friend how to do this) that doesnt have much power, but with this technique could double the speed he was riding at. showing someone how to do something better on their own bike is the best way to make them understand sometimes.

hope this helps!

~jeep

I'll try that too jeeper thanks. Idk when I'm gunna ride that trail again cus snowboardin today i pulled my shoulder muscle, and bruised my tailbone =(.