Part reference question: Kickstarter mechanism

Ok so I found a full kickstart assembly on good ole ebay that I'm thinking of bidding on if it stays cheap enough. It's from a KDX 250 so I went to kawi's website and started cross referencing and making sure it will be ok. Well everything is listed for my model KX except the spur gear on the shaft and the ratchet. Everything else is the same including the idle gear would this cause any fitment issues in my 89 KX 250?

I believe everything will bolt right in with no problems. Almost every part of the '89-'90 KX250 engine and the '91-'94 KDX250 engine will interchange.

I spent a few minutes looking on the Kawasaki site. Are you shopping for a lever and kick pedal boss as well as the shaft and gears? If so, I didn't see that it fit a KX250. Which part number(s) are you looking at?

I spent a few minutes looking on the Kawasaki site. Are you shopping for a lever and kick pedal boss as well as the shaft and gears? If so, I didn't see that it fit a KX250. Which part number(s) are you looking at?

I'm just looking for the internal mechanism. The only two different parts that I found were the ratchet and the spur gear. The kawi part numbers are 59051-1223 for the gear spur and 13078-1063 for the ratchet. The only thing that concerns me is case clearance with a different gear. Although it does use the same idle gear so they might not have changed that just the gear and ratchet interface some.

I believe it's the ratchet, and two gears that are the problem in my bike. The weather has been so crappy lately I haven't gotten a chance to dig into it and see for sure. I know in another post I responded to someone and said I thought they looked ok from visual inspection when I put them back in but if this assembly stays cheap enough it's worth a gamble. Never gamble what you're not prepared to lose, you know?

Does the kickstarter only catch some of the time? I have a 1991 KDX250 that had that problem and the spur gear and idle gear were worn (rounded off some).

Yup that's what's happening. It was just annoying before and once you rode it for 15 mins or so to warm up it would catch every time until it cooled off. I looked them over when I put them back in after the new bottom end and they looked used but no "whoa need to replace that" alarm bells went off. In your experience is the ratchet a potential problem or not? I'm debating on ordering the OEM stuff(I hope to god it's available) before cracking it open.

It sucks that something stupid like kickstarter gears can keep a perfectly good bike off the trails. Not that I mind time on the 500 but once I know the 250's ailments have been cured it's time for a rebuild on that. Swami says he see's a new(er) 98+ KX250 in the stable next winter for me.

I think that over time, it happens on more than just your KX or my KDX. I have read it on a few other bikes.

Well a slight update on this which seems to be two steps forward one step back. The gear spur isn't available anymore but did order the idle gear from the TT store for much cheaper than anywhere else I found so kudo's to TT store. The mechanism I was watching on ebay is not listed correctly but the buyer swears 91-94KDX 250's were air cooled!

So basically at this point my options are rather limited. I'm going to try to file down the gear spur and put the new idle gear in and see if that fixes it and pray for a NOS or decent one to come on ebay Then sell the bastard. If I find a gear and ratchet for a 91-94 KDX on ebay I'll buy it and try it, I don't even care if the stupid thing works as long as I can see with my own eyes it will line up ok then I'll buy two of the things and keep her. Although ebaying off the motor finding another 500 motor, forks and motard kit is rather appealing option.

If any of you modder's come across that gear spur and ratchet from a 91-94 KDX 250 let me know. Like I said it doesn't have to work I just want to see how it all fits together inside the case.

I just bought a 92 KDX250 that does the same thing, I read somewhere that it is the small spring that engages the gear that gets weak, some where I think someone said he just stretched the spring out to give it a little more tension and that worked, did you ever come up with a solution to your issue?