K&N filter gasket broke/ I need a replacement

I got a K&N air filter in the mail today for my dr650se. The filter sits on a foam gasket to keep the carb from sucking air from underneath the filter.

Anyway, the gasket doesn't cover the outer edges of the filter. So, I cut out the inside of the gasker and tried to stretch the gasket to fit the outside edge of the filter. It broke. So, I'm wondering what would be good to use to replace the gasket. I have been looking at some two sided foam tape but I don't believe I could get it to bend in a circle.

I looking for some material 4X4 or bigger so I can just cut out the inside and try it again. I didn't see any replacement gasket at the K&N site.

The filter isn't snug enough to be used without the gasket material. I was really dissappointed with the filter so far. As much as the K&N filters cost it seems they would have the gasket pre cut so it would be an easier install.

Anyone run into this before and what did you do to fix it.

Thanks Charlie

Dont use the K&N ive heard that it lets crap into your engine

Well, I'm not going to till I get a gasket to secure the filter where no air will get through the bottom.

I ride on the street about 99% of the time. I don't believe their will be any problems with the K&N filter once I get it seated properly. Besides I bought the K&N pre filter from Jesse so if I go dirt riding I can put the pre filter on.

I know so many people that use the K&N filters on their street bikes with no problems. Some even run the filters without the air box.

I want to see if I can tell any performance increase with the K&Ns. I have seen dynos that show a small increase in power. I wouldn't think it would be much but that's yet to be seen.

Anyway, when I get time I'll just check around and find a gasket to help the filter seat correctly. I hate that I messed the origional up.

Buckaroo, if you find a source for the gasket please let me know. I have a K&N filter too and I think they are a good filter regardless of what you read from those that don't like them. Just be sure to keep them cleaned and oiled and use the pre-filter with it.

Buckaroo, if you find a source for the gasket please let me know. I have a K&N filter too and I think they are a good filter regardless of what you read from those that don't like them. Just be sure to keep them cleaned and oiled and use the pre-filter with it.

Just a thought...........

With a K&N, if you have to use some funky gasket and pre-filter (not sure what that is?), why not just use a regular foam filter and; clean, oil, grease the lip, and go?

I don't mean to be obtuse, but why re-invent the wheel? Do they really flow that good, but still filter? I'm not sure I get it?

JP4 the pre filter is simply a layer of foam that goes over the main filter. It's a good system that lots of quality commecial equipment uses.

JP4 the pre filter is simply a layer of foam that goes over the main filter. It's a good system that lots of quality commecial equipment uses.

Interesting, but I don't ride 'lots of quality commecial equipment .'

Lawn tractors aren't my thing. I'll stick with UNI filiters.

I went to the K&N web site and left a message about the gasket. They said they would send me a replacement one. I told em I would word on how good they were to work with. So far they have been excellent to work with.

Thought about a K&N bought ended up buying a TwinAir. Pretty much all of them work great if you keep them clean.

Interesting, but I don't ride 'lots of quality commecial equipment .'

Lawn tractors aren't my thing. I'll stick with UNI filiters.

The Uni filters I have seen are very similiar to the K&N. I have a UNI on the snorkle. I have seen some dynos between the stock filter and the K&N. The K&N does better than the stock. I didn't think their would be much difference but their seems to be. I asked Jesse about it and he said their was an improvement with the K&N.

I ride about 90% on the street so I don't have to worry as much about the dirty air. I have the pre airfilter that Jesse sells I can put on if riding on the dirt.

I got a good price on the K&N on ebay so why not run it?

If it flows better then you can run a bigger jet and it will go better (but use more gas).

More flow = less filter

Fine onroad/crap offroad

Your decision