What cam to get?

I am going to replace the cam in my '06, I already have the r head pipe and the rest of the ccc mods. I am thinking that the hot cams stage 1 might be a little milder than the r cam. I am hoping this will give me a nice boost without

the higher revs of the r cam and a little better valve life. Does any one have the cam specs for the r cam?

AS you have the X cam numbers?

AS you have the X cam numbers?

+1 I would like to see the differences. The seat of the pants dyno says that there is a big difference but I wonder if it's just a placebo.

Im wondering how exactly these different specs affect the way the power is delivered? Anyone care to explain?

Im wondering how exactly these different specs affect the way the power is delivered? Anyone care to explain?

if you calculate and look at them this way:

49 state X

230deg intake and ex

20deg overlap

05-06 R

245 deg int and ex

30 deg overlap

08 r

250 deg int and ex

40 deg overlap

You'll see the 08 is the most "radical" of the grinds. Doesn't mean it'll make more power, but may have the potential too. How they effect the power delivered? Generally speaking the cam with the longer duration and overlap will have it's peak power occur at a higher rpm, both hp and torque. There's almost always a give and take so what you gain on the mid to top, you give up bottom to mid.

if you calculate and look at them this way:

49 state X

230deg intake and ex

20deg overlap

05-06 R

245 deg int and ex

30 deg overlap

08 r

250 deg int and ex

40 deg overlap

You'll see the 08 is the most "radical" of the grinds. Doesn't mean it'll make more power, but may have the potential too. How they effect the power delivered? Generally speaking the cam with the longer duration and overlap will have it's peak power occur at a higher rpm, both hp and torque. There's almost always a give and take so what you gain on the mid to top, you give up bottom to mid.

So, when I see all these numbers, my eyes cross and my tongue hangs out. :applause: My needs sound similar to the posters. I just want to increase bottom and mid while hopefully increasing valve life. I'm still wondering if an 07R head would help me long term with increasing valve life, but I think that is more performance oriented than anything.

So, when I see all these numbers, my eyes cross and my tongue hangs out. :) My needs sound similar to the posters. I just want to increase bottom and mid while hopefully increasing valve life. I'm still wondering if an 07R head would help me long term with increasing valve life, but I think that is more performance oriented than anything.

I run an 04 R cam with an X head pipe when I'm trail riding or know that I'm going to need bottom end. It does loose a little compared to the stock X cam but it's worth it at that mid range. Other wise I run the R header and R cam. I wonder if any one has dyno'd there bikes with the different cams and pipes. It would be interesting to see the sheets.

BTW thanks for posting that info AS. :applause:

In order to understand the different cam behavior the Hot Cam dyno sheets on their site for stage 1 and stage 2 are useful with the cam features listed in this thread.

Stage 1 is a good mix with around the bottom of the X cam and the top of the R cam (for that MY tested).

Stage 2 loose the bottom of the X cam with a little more top compared with the R cam (similar bottom than the R cam).

Roberto

HotCam stage 1 will definitely boost bottom to mid power, but doesn't have much top end. I wish it had more top end power, but that is the compromise.

I'm also happy with my stage 1 hot cam. Nice gain in bottom and mid range power.

Awesome information. This is just what I needed to make an informed decision.

Thanks.

Cant find the graphs but the stage 1 hot cam will pick up 2-3 ftlbs from 4-8k over the X cam. No real gains anywhere else, even top hp about the same, but the mid should be noticeable.

i did the ccc mods to my 05x, I used the r cam just as the ccc bulletin states, what a difference all around more power. The cam is not too much in fact I am looking for more power in the ca desert. I did the mods exactly as stated. I bought the headpipe off e bay and the rest of the parts from the dealer. If I did it again I would look for a r cam on e-bay. I paid $25.00 for the headpipe. I ride at stoddard wells, dove springs and el mirage. I am working on the jetting. The bike starts hard cold. I have to kick it to start it cold the estart wont fire it. but on new years it was 34 degrees in the morning. once warm it starts great. I put in a 70 starter jet from a 450x it helped a little bit i may try the 72 from a 450r. I live by the beach and the thing will fire every time with the e-start but with altitude and temp it is hard to start. Ussally 4-5 kicks.

I too ride at dove springs and in the cali desert. I have found my X with opened air box, rejetted, 250r exhaust to still be lacking in the deaper sand and tall hill climbs encounterd at jawbone and dove springs. I am looking into a 250R cam right now.

looking for lift and duration numbers.

x and r cams.

put the r cam in. I did it with my 05 x and am happy with it it provides more power overall. I still want more for the california desert. I did all the ccc mods and it made the bike much better.

What your fighting is the gear spacing on the X, IMHO. The R cam works better with the R gearbox. Think displacement would work better on the X.

Did anyone else read how Honda set up their baja 450? used an X for the gearing and didn't use the wildest head/cam setup available, instead went for power that would pull the next gear. Also wanted to increase tire life by using "just enough" power to get the job done.