Does anyone wanna check out Me other set of Homemade Pipes???

Well...this second set turned out REALLY GOOD!!! I used 16g for the head (polished even) pipes this time and that cut down on the ripples SIGNIFICANTLY. You'll notice that I didn't need the wedge on the Right head pipe this time. Less Ripples, nice round radius = better flow = I probably need to tweak and rejet my carb again. Feels like it's running leaner, no backfiring though. No response with the pilot screw, need bigger pilot no doubt. Pretty sure I can keep the 165 main, just need to move the needle down a notch. ???? I guess so.

I already had a total of 2 mid/collecter/header-nipples already done. All I had to do with this one is the header pipes. Here they are:

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

How long does it take to make a set? How long have you been welding? I am sure one day it will be hard to get good aftermarket headers, and I might give it a go.

It took me quite a while. This is the first time I tried to make them. My employer said I could use the shop after working hours. I started on the 5th of Febuary, working late into the night sometimes after work and the ensuing weekend. Went through a lot of experiment of one thing or another till I finally came up with something at really good, like the ones in these pics.

I wound up wasting 2 20 foot lengths of 1.25 tubing over the weekend. I just couldn't get the right combo of bends and cuts to make a good fitting joint. I ordered more tubing on Monday. They delivered it on Tuesday and I started working on them again.

I also had to brush up on my purge welding, which is what I used to weld them up. When done right, purge welding will give a smoothe-as-glass backbead inside the tube.

I have been welding for at least 20 years.

To the best of my ingnorant knowledge,FMF Racing and xrsonly.com are the only 2 companies that make dual exhaust for the XRs (I'm not sure if XRsonly makes them there at their shop or if they have somebody else make them).

The 2 sets of headers(I have 2 650L's) I got from FMF Racing TOTALLY SUCKED. Gave them the mouth-to-mid pipe test and I could hear the leak as plain as anything. The leak was in beween the head pipes right where they go into the collector. There wasn't even any weld there at all. Plus, they used Stainless M.I.G welding and Stainless M.I.G is ALWAYS crappy looking even no matter how good a welder you might be. You'd think for the $240+tax they'd give you a decent set of headers that were T.I.G welded. So I sent them back. I should be getting my money back in about a week. After that experience, I was very reluctant to try out xrsonly's headers so I decided to give it a go on my own.

When you are making my set, could you step the size of the tubing like yoshimura used to.

Uh....what?? Your set?

Tube size...well, 1.25(1 1/4) OD x 16g(equates to about 1.125[1 1/8] ID) leaves plenty of room for a Port diameter of 1 inch. So, in answering your question,when I am making your set (after I get your money) I will not go any higher size of tubing. It would be pointless for one thing(1.25 is perfect) and I don't have the bending die for 1.375(1 3/8) OD tubing.

By the way Yall...if anyone really wants me to make them a set I'll have to charge about $250.00 plus shipping. I don't have the whole assembly process dialed in yet. There are a few things about the prototypes that could use some improvements. In otherwords, don't expect a fast turn-around once you've placed an order with me. Also, I can only except checks and/or Money orders. First come first served. Sold As is. Only warranty would be on fit(on 650L only) and leakage. If you think they might fit the 600L and or R, it's your responsibiliy and I will not warranty proper fit. Also, you will be responsible for swedging the mid-pipe on your silencer to fit over a header mid-pipe of 1.75(1 3/4) OD.

Very nice looking second set. I know how ya feel with the improving and testing with them and how it costs. What i really like about your set, not that the whole thing is bitc hen!!, is the fact that when it comes out both ports on the head the left side doesnt take that big swoop down towards the down tube drain bolt. Was just looking at mine earlier when i took the rear wheel off and noticed how close it gets. Yours coming out and swooping nice and gently around looks very nice. Used to use our motor pool after hours when i was in the army in germany, always nice to have tools redily available for doing some trick stuff.

Whats the price per foot for the stainless your getting? If you can also post a pic of the flanges where they mount to the head maybe from your first set or whenever you get them off again.

Thanks for all the pics you exhaust looks top notch for sure!!

Big Gun sells complete systems. I bought a XRs Only set of headers. Sent them back, they did not fit. They have them made by someone else. They say that they will fit with their muffler. Won't stand behind them if you use someones elses muffler.

Nice job on the pipes.

Cigar Mike

Cigar Mike

Why not have someone with a mandrel bender bend up those front parts of the head pipes for you to get away from the ripples? The ones you have done would act as great templates:excuseme:

I have asked 2 different pipe shops if they could mandrel bend the head pipes. Both replied with damn near the same answer: N0!! Neither shop does very much bending of 1.25 mild steel or stainless tubing. When they do, however, they only set up the machine to run a few thousands of pieces, not for only a small handfull in my case.

Very nice work. I run the XR600R FMF power bomb header with a Q2 muffler on my L and love it.

DBM

**AHEM**

Probably gonna get reamed for this, but, due to the complete dissatisfaction I had with my FMF Hi-Flo headers, I will take my punishment with relish.

First off, the whole "Power Bomb" thing is nothing more than a clever marketing gimick. The only real difference between the Power Bomb and the regular, Time Tested, Simple, Hi-flowing headers is.......................................................the bike does run a little quieter:bonk: And That is IT There is no way in Tarnation that anyone could convince me that their so-called innovation actually adds any remarkable increase in performance in comparison to a set hi flow-ers.

Forget it.

But, bottom line, if your happy, that's all that matters.?