Looking for yz250f '03 or '04 Cam

Hi, I have a 2002 yz250f and its a mutha :applause: er to kick over. I was told that installing a '03 or '04 cam and a valve adjustment will solve the problem right up. Sooooo any feedback or know of a place where I can get a Stock cam for this year ASAP. E-bay is not helping me. I live in Los Angeles and am anxious to get back on the trails!

Thank you.

i would try the valve adjustment first becouse all the decomp valve deos is saving you from pulling the lever if its a b**** to start it wont change anything i hav a 01 and it starts first kick everytime.have you got the right starting procedure, is the jetting right? i would check over those sortsof things first before you blow ur mony on a cam and then nothing changes.

go online and buy a 130 dollar hot cam with auto-decompression, try ebay

there are a couple of sets on ebay, i have a set of stage 2 hotcams for sale, but need a stock exhaust in trade also.

Whats the difference between a hot cam, Stage 1, hot cam stage 2, or stock cam. The mechanic said the hot cams are still hard to kick so go with stock??

Thanks

Well you aren't supposed to just kick it without an auto-decomp cam.... Your mechanic sounds like an idiot to be honest. If you don't have an auto-decomp cam you need to use the decomp lever. Hold it down while slowly kicking it to find TDC. Then let go of the lever and kick it full speed. If you aren't pulling the lever, of course it's going to be hard to kick, you are fighting against the full compression of the cylinder.

With the auto decomp cam (03+ stock, or hotcams) you don't need the lever. Just slowly kick until you find TDC then full power. There are older models of hotcams that don't have auto-decomp, but I think I have only seen them for sale once ever (discontinued I believe).

*edit* Stage 1 focuses on more power for low end, Stage 2 is more power for higher RPM's. Both of them give more HP than the stock cam, by quite a bit too.

Thanks for clearing up. So on my 02 yz, would yor recomend changing to hot cams and a valve adjustment, or just a valve adjustment. I use the decomp lever now but even with that its difficult to find the TDC or a compression point.

He's saying add a HotCam (either Stage 1 or Stage 2, depending on where you want the power) AND check your valves.

Karl

Thanks for clearing up. So on my 02 yz, would yor recomend changing to hot cams and a valve adjustment, or just a valve adjustment. I use the decomp lever now but even with that its difficult to find the TDC or a compression point.

When you change cams to will need to shim anyway. 03+ cam or hotcam and you will love it.

I just installed hotcams stage1,didnt need to shim valves.Its soooo nice not using that decopression lever,it started first kick:applause: Got both cams of ebay for $230.

There is a stock 07 Exhaust cam (will fit 01-08 supposedly) for 75 bucks Buy it Now. 10 bucks shipping. I was just looking at it. Was thinkin bout but think I will wait till next year, But it won't make it easier to start, just more convenient

Is there a difference in power from intake hotcams vs a 07 stock cam?

I may be remembering this backwards, but I believe the intake cam is where almost all of the gains come from, and the exhaust cam is not so much.