'04 TE450 NJ Street Legal?

Just curious if anyone has experience with getting an '04 TE450 to be street legal in NJ? I know that I may have to do a few mods but would the title be able to pass through DMV etc.?

Hard to say, but my inclination is no. The TEs weren't street legal until '06, and as a result, the MSO/title for an '04 won't reflect legality. If the bike is already NJ titled, then you shouldn't have any problem getting it street legal. Just add the blinkers, etc. and head to an inspection station. It's just getting the title and registration in the first place that is the rub. You never know whether it'll happen or not. I think if you're getting it from someone in NJ and it has only the MSO, you probably won't get it through, especially if the MSO says something to the effect of "off-road only". If it's from out of state and has a title from that state, you may be able to make it work. If it has no documentation at all, then forget it. Good luck! Of course, if you can find an '06 and later TE, then you're golden.

What documentation do you have for the bike now?

Hard to say, but my inclination is no. The TEs weren't street legal until '06, and as a result, the MSO/title for an '04 won't reflect legality. If the bike is already NJ titled, then you shouldn't have any problem getting it street legal. Just add the blinkers, etc. and head to an inspection station. It's just getting the title and registration in the first place that is the rub. You never know whether it'll happen or not. I think if you're getting it from someone in NJ and it has only the MSO, you probably won't get it through, especially if the MSO says something to the effect of "off-road only". If it's from out of state and has a title from that state, you may be able to make it work. If it has no documentation at all, then forget it. Good luck! Of course, if you can find an '06 and later TE, then you're golden.

What documentation do you have for the bike now?

Just trying to find one that is somewhat in the area I stumbled upon an '04 that a guy in the classifieds here is selling from upstate NY (6 + hrs from me). Believe that the bike is titled in PA and he lives in NY…I need to find out what his title paperwork actually says (“off road use” or something else).

Trust me, I’d be happy to find an ’06-‘07 with all the paperwork – either 450 or 510 so I’m thinking that I just need to be patient and one will pop up for sale before the weather warms up.

I was out today on my brothers kids bike and felt all nervous because his kids bike is just a small TT230 and has no registration, plates, etc…not to cool…but I’m itching to get out and ride something.

Let me know if anyone closer to me knows a good find on an '06 - '07 450 or 510 TE??? I'm over in Hopewell, NJ area.

If you can find a 06 or newer I would go that way.MV has a list of approved bikes and Husky 06 and up is on it.If the 04 had a clean NJ title it might slip through.As soon as they see a PA title they will look at everything closer.Plus the newer huskys are a improved bike over the 04.

A certain ins. co is already denying policys based on VINs. I just titled an out of state bike, waited about 6 weeks for them to mail me a NJ title, they are looking at em.

Just trying to find one that is somewhat in the area I stumbled upon an '04 that a guy in the classifieds here is selling from upstate NY (6 + hrs from me). Believe that the bike is titled in PA and he lives in NY…I need to find out what his title paperwork actually says (“off road use” or something else).

Trust me, I’d be happy to find an ’06-‘07 with all the paperwork – either 450 or 510 so I’m thinking that I just need to be patient and one will pop up for sale before the weather warms up.

I was out today on my brothers kids bike and felt all nervous because his kids bike is just a small TT230 and has no registration, plates, etc…not to cool…but I’m itching to get out and ride something.

Let me know if anyone closer to me knows a good find on an '06 - '07 450 or 510 TE??? I'm over in Hopewell, NJ area.

If it were me I'd put wtb in my sig line, TT classifieds, and local Craigslist.

Just ignore all the Nigerian scam sounding replys. The 2006 & up TEs & SMs are all 50 state legal.

Just curious if anyone has experience with getting an '04 TE450 to be street legal in NJ? I know that I may have to do a few mods but would the title be able to pass through DMV etc.?

First go to a NJDMV office and register the bike.

If they issue you a plate... ONLY THEN CONTACT: http://www.bajadesigns.com or anyother company that makes a dual sport kits.

But don't invest your money in a dual sport kit until you register your bike.

HuskyRips

I have an 04 Smr 450 street legal in New Jersey, I know it did not come street legal from the factory because I know the dealer "Central Jersey Cycles" he told me he made it street legal and put the lighting kit on it. I would say check with DMV for sure, Try asking Central Jersey Cycles for advice, but it probably could be done. Good luck.

Thanks for all the feedback...think I'll be waiting to find an '06-'07. I was talking to an old friend who had suggested looking on the ECEA website, but then those ones have been heavily raced so it's just a waiting game for now. I know that there are also ways around by getting it plated in a more northern state, but it just seems like a hassle.

Hopefully my patients will pay off in the end!