new to thumpertalk introducing myself

I'm pretty new to dirtbike and dual sport riding. I used to have a xl250 in high school but nothing since...that was about 20 years ago. I have been mostly involved with Jeeps and other 4x4s. I love anything that has to do with exploring the woods and back roads. I bought a 1991 DR250 about 2 years ago and have completely fallen in love with the sport. I can't believe it took me so long. My poor Jeep feels neglected because I didn't even put it on the road last year. In the past 2 years I have bought 3 bikes...the first was my 1991 DR250 (purchased for $500) second was my 2002 DRZ400 (purchased for $500 also believe it or not) third came my 1995 DR250 (purchased for $1100). I love this site and everybody seems knowledgable and helpful.

I hope these images post because it's my first attemp.

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii75/dpw1124/

Welcome aboard Dave. That's one heckof a deal on that 400! :applause:

Yeah, The guy I bought it from was told that the engine was junk from the dealership. The DRZ had less than 500 miles on it and I figured I could still make well over my $500 back if I parted it out. As it turns out , the piston had made contact with one of the valves and damaged the valve seat. I bought a used head on Ebay and runs like a charm. I hope to dual sport it and have all the parts to do so, but nothing is easy at the Massachusetts RMV from my experience...we'll see.

welcome, how do you like the 250 vs. the 400 for your type of riding

welcome, how do you like the 250 vs. the 400 for your type of riding

To be honest with you I'm perfectly comfortable on the 250. I like to putt around in second gear and give it some throttle on the straight aways. My friend that I ride with has a KLR650 and we just like to explore and sneek up on wildlife (thats why the exhaust is stock and quiet). I was suprized at how easy the DRZ400 is to ride and would probably ride it more if it were street legal. There is no comparison when talking about power though. I bought the newer 250 because of the electric start...I shut the bike off often to hike on foot and kicking the '91 over was getting old, especially in the winter.

Welcome!

good to have ya dave. what riding do you do in mass?

good to have ya dave. what riding do you do in mass?

I like narrow single track with lots of turns and hills. I really enjoy the technical stuff where you have to think about tire placement and know what line you want to take well before you take it. I like crossing logs (nothing huge...10" diameter or so), I like water crossings, I love riding in the snow as long as there isn't ice beneath it, open fields where you can see quite a distance...pretty much everything but deep sand. I'm not a mad man and don't jump or ride motorcross tracks I just like a nice trail where your not sure where you'll come out with great scenery and to feel like you and your riding partner are all alone and have the woods to yourself.

Welcome aboard. Nice lookin bikes.

Welcome aboard. Nice lookin bikes.

Thanks! And thanks for your service to our country!! My Dad was a Marine and I always wished I had followed his footsteps.

I like narrow single track with lots of turns and hills. I really enjoy the technical stuff where you have to think about tire placement and know what line you want to take well before you take it. I like crossing logs (nothing huge...10" diameter or so), I like water crossings, I love riding in the snow as long as there isn't ice beneath it, open fields where you can see quite a distance...pretty much everything but deep sand. I'm not a mad man and don't jump or ride motorcross tracks I just like a nice trail where your not sure where you'll come out with great scenery and to feel like you and your riding partner are all alone and have the woods to yourself.

thats how i started and still love the woods. i am registered for Mass forests and have ridden up in tolland and otis. excellent trails.

welcome to your new addiction!!!:applause:

MA is pretty tough, I hear. I'm in NH.

Check out www.nedb.com

Lots of good info there on registering in MA.

MA is pretty tough, I hear. I'm in NH.

Check out www.nedb.com

Lots of good info there on registering in MA.

That site would really interest me, but the link is for Delta Dental not dirt bike related at all. If you could direct me to a helpful site, I would really appreciate it.

thanks

welcome Dave

Hey Dave,

I noticed your rack, that's the one from e-bay right? I was thinking about picking one up as well. What are it's shortcomings, if any?

Thanks!

:applause:

Hey Dave,

I noticed your rack, that's the one from e-bay right? I was thinking about picking one up as well. What are it's shortcomings, if any?

Thanks!

:applause:

I like it...it's not super thick construction, but it's perfect for what I need it for. It's well constructed ,it's a good size and the price was reasonable. I'd buy another one in a second.