quick question about piston/fuel

With the JE 13.1:1 piston...can I still get away with running 91 octane or would I have to run race fuel ?

what cams?

i haven't done it yet just looking at the possibility of using that piston. I can get a LA Sleeve/Wiseco 453 kit with that piston super cheap. I realize not to use an iron sleeve...I would send my spare cylinder out to be bored and plated...what cams would you suggest using with this setup ?

i suggest avoiding bores over 94mm if you can.the chance of head gasket sealling problems goes up when you go over.

what bike do you have?what type of riding?

07 DRZ400SM...I use it mainly for street riding...

what piston would you recommend ? I know alot of people have used wisecos...i know with 2stroke snowmobiles those wiseco pistons are a POS so i'm leary even with my 4stroke...

94mm is a JE piston.

the compression is 12.5 to 1.

works well with hotcams stg 1.

do you already have a fcr carb?what pipe?

does the hotcams stage 1 come with intake and exhaust? i have an FCR 39...you told me a while back it was from an 01 YZ426 from some numbers i had off the carb...i also have a twobros slip-on...the bike was 6 weeks old when i bought it but already had that pipe on it...all I can say is that it's LOUD. I know a few people with yosh full systems with no baffles and you can't even hear theirs when mine is running. It does get a bit annoying i have to admit.

yes,intake and ex hotcams.

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread, just clarifying -

I have an '06 DRZ SM - FCR and Yoshi Ti

I like to do mods as money comes in

Is it okay to just to cams

Later to do big bore and base gasket

Sometime after that do the stroker

Sometime after that the headwork

Is it better to save up and do it all at the same time?

I hear such great things about you Eddie, but at the same time, I am ignorant. What is the benefit of sending my engine to you vs. my local shop doing it vs. my trying to do it myself?

Thanks in advance,

Branden

Also, if a big bore and stroker are the ultimate long term goal - is there any sense in putting in hotcams now if I intend to do the big bore and stroker - which as I understand it, the RHC cams and headwork are recommended?

Is it okay to just to cams

Later to do big bore and base gasket

Sometime after that do the stroker

Sometime after that the headwork

Is it better to save up and do it all at the same time?

I hear such great things about you Eddie, but at the same time, I am ignorant. What is the benefit of sending my engine to you vs. my local shop doing it vs. my trying to do it myself?

Thanks in advance,

Branden

by doing it this way you are talking about alot of redundant labor.if you are paying someone to do this,it will cost you way more money in the end.

whether or not you or a local shop are capable really depends on what the ulimate goal is for the motor.

just installing cams or a big bore is pretty straight forward.the stroker set ups are not and imho are not for novice engine builders and that includes most local shops.

Also, if a big bore and stroker are the ultimate long term goal - is there any sense in putting in hotcams now if I intend to do the big bore and stroker - which as I understand it, the RHC cams and headwork are recommended?

you need to decide what you want to do for a motor before buying parts.

the hotcams are fine for stock motors or big bore at a maximum.they are not suitable for the strokers.

RHC cams are needed for the stroker motors to run at full potential.

head porting is optional and does require over size intake valves.

no matter what,you need to repalce the valves and springs at some point for reliability reasons.

so you figure that 453 piston is no good then ? i bought a kit for $100.00. I was just going to use the piston and gaskets but I guess i'll just put it on ebay instead...

its just as i stated.the risk of head gasket sealing issues goes up when over 94mm.

if you take the proper precautions,it shoudl be fine.i use them occasionally although i try to avoid it.

what do you use to seal the head gasket? I've seen people use spray on gasket sealer...I have a spare cylinder so I guess it won't hurt to try this kit out. Do you think there is much difference in power with the 453 vs. a 436 or 440 kit?

copper coat the head gasket,42ft/lbs on the head bolts.

its a minimal power difference.

if you use that piston and its 13.5 to comp i would add a extra base gasket.

if I add an extra base gasket can I then run pump gas ?

yes,you can.

awesome i appreciate your help thanks!