Help needed with specs for a 2000 XR250 Baja

Hi guys,

I posted an artical here about a possible spark plug cap failure as I'd lost the spark, well the problem goes on...

I've definately got some kind of intermittant electrical fault, the problem is trying to work out what and where.

I've got a Haynes manual for the XR250L, XR250R and XR400R I've also downloaded the manual for the XR250R. The trouble is I'm not totally sure what specifications I'm supposed to refer to fir the Baja.

I've been working through testing the Alternator, the Primary and Secondary ignition coils (without the can), pulse generator, stator coils, etc, etc.

some of the readings seem to be right, but others I'm not so sure about as I dont really know what they should be...

I think there might be an issue with the charging system as I'm only getting 13.4-13.5 V across the battery while the bike is running. I think the Stator coils are ok as I'm getting 0.2 Ohms across it

I think the pulse generator might be fried as I'm seeing 327/328 Ohms between the green <> blue/yellow and red/green <> blue/yellow wires. I see 0.3 Ohms between the Green <> Red/Green wires - I'm not sure I'm testing the right thing here though - Pluse Gen seems to be on the left side of the engine and not the right side as suggested by the manual.

Primary Coil seems ok 0.2 Ohms, but the secondary coil seems low 2984 Ohms

Of course it could always be a fault with the gauge... as it seems odd that so many readings dont agree with the manual...

Does anyone know what the reading should be for a 250 Baja?

Many thanks in advance

Are there any good sparkies here? or anyone who can help out with specs for the Baja??

I'm probably going to start with the regulator and take it up to the local Honda dealer and get it tested... the problem here is that as the bike is an import they seem reluctant to really help...

13.4 to 13.5 volts on the battery....is it when it is idleing? if that is at idle then that is about right and actually pretty good. Take a voltage reading at around 2 to 3000 rpm and see what it is. Not sure o the rest of the readings though. WHen you say 250 baja......as in baja designs DS Kit? is it the stock stator coil? what else does it have? I have heard that when the stator, picku coil and/or ignotion control module gets warm/hot it will start to miss. Sorry but can you tell me the original problem and what is happening and when? As in ideling, running, when getting hard on it.........

13.4 to 13.5 volts on the battery....is it when it is idleing? if that is at idle then that is about right and actually pretty good. Take a voltage reading at around 2 to 3000 rpm and see what it is. Not sure o the rest of the readings though. WHen you say 250 baja......as in baja designs DS Kit? is it the stock stator coil? what else does it have? I have heard that when the stator, picku coil and/or ignotion control module gets warm/hot it will start to miss. Sorry but can you tell me the original problem and what is happening and when? As in ideling, running, when getting hard on it.........

Cheers for getting back to me, was beginning to get a bit desperate...

13.4-13.5 seems to be across the range that doesnt seems to change no matter where I am in the rev range - unfortunately the bike doesnt have a rev counter but I've rev'd it up to maybe half to 2/3 throttle and if anything the reading drops slightly.

When I say 250 Baja... well as far as I'm aware its a 250 Baja thats had the headlight swapped out for a single light - there's still all the wiring for twin lights, its just not used. The model number is XR250IIIY

I'm guessing it will be a stock stator, but I've not opened it up to check

the problem is intermittant lack of spark - I just can't pin down what the trigger for it is though. I can ride it for an hour without issue and it then starts to play up or I can leave it idling in the garage and find it looses spark. Equally it doesnt seem to matter what I do to get it working again sometimes it will fire back up straight away, sometimes not.

I've compared the readings with the 250L which is the closest I can see, but I don't know for sure if that is right?

Edit:

I've checked that link, I'd say not a DS kit, pretty sure its stock, appart from the headlight. when I got it none of the mods had been done

Battery voltage seems ok then. A little low but then again it depends on the voltage regulator. On the stator you have a seperate coil for the ignition module and a pick-up coil for the ignition module. I would check for bad or corroded connections or a bad ignition/spark module. Usually stators do not go bad unless overloaded. Check for corroded/bad wire connections. Check for any connections that have a green tint to them...corrosions...or broken connections wires. Easy to do with a volt/ohm meter. Since it comes and goes no matter what your doing, sitting on the stand running or down the orad I would say it would be the ignition module or bad wires to the module

• Like 1

cheers for the feedback, with so many different things showing out of tolerance I was figuring it might be the readings rather than serveral units broken, but you never know. The manual seemed to suggest the alternator should be putting out around 15v, hence the original question - I'll try tracing the wires to the ignition unit and see what I can find.

cheers mate! think I've found the problem, there was a bullet connector on one of the wires to the ignition unit, it looks like one of the crimps on the connection hadnt completely taken so its now recrimped and soldered and the spark looks a lot stronger for it

at least I'll have a clue where to look if it fails in a field again.