Should I be worried........

Riders,

I am a new rider looking at buying a 2006 CRF250X with a 270cc big bore kit. I have been told that the CRF250x would be a good bike for me because it traditionally has low maintenance requirements. However, I am concerned that having modifications may make the bike more prone to having problems. The dealer told me that the big bore kit wont make any additional problems because they dont actually bore it out, they use a completely new kit rather than thinning out the walls.

Any thoughts on this...............thanks in advance for your time.

A CRF250x is anything but low maintenance.....regardless of the year model. If you want low maintenance buy a 2-stroke. With a CRF you need good mechanical skills, lots of tools and even more money if you want to do it right and keep it right. I had a CR before my CRF250X and if it cost me $200 a year it was a miracle and that was tires and plugs. A head and top end job is going to cost around $600 a whack and that is if you can do the work. Fortunately it's pretty easy to get everything apart and back together. If you have to replace the head it's going to be a bigger WHACK!!!!

A CRF250x is anything but low maintenance.....regardless of the year model. If you want low maintenance buy a 2-stroke. With a CRF you need good mechanical skills, lots of tools and even more money if you want to do it right and keep it right. I had a CR before my CRF250X and if it cost me $200 a year it was a miracle and that was tires and plugs. A head and top end job is going to cost around $600 a whack and that is if you can do the work. Fortunately it's pretty easy to get everything apart and back together. If you have to replace the head it's going to be a bigger WHACK!!!!

I agree the crf is not the bike to get if you dont want to do maintenance.

Why would any one buy a bike with the notion that they dont have to do maintenance?These new bikes are state of the art machines and they are race bikes and they are high maintenance machines.If you want something you dont have to work on buy a new car.JMO

Why would any one buy a bike with the notion that they dont have to do maintenance?These new bikes are state of the art machines and they are race bikes and they are high maintenance machines.If you want something you dont have to work on buy a new car.JMO

:applause:

In fact, I do enjoying working on my bikes, just like any true petrolhead. It helps improve my mechanical skills, my understanding of engines and the way bikes work. It's all part of my passion and gives a good excuse to get away from the wife!

Untrue. First of all with proper maintainance IE changing the oil and keeping the filter cleaned and oiled you will not have problems. Secondly I can do a top end job on a CRF for $355 your piston and rings will most likely go before the top end does if you give it the love it needs. Thats only $100 dollars for a OEM piston kit. Another thing that I see as a major reason for premature valve failure is the vent hoses tend to suck in a lot of dirt which can make it's way to your intake valves. Quick and easy solution to this would be a vent hose kit from PC Racing that puts a filter on the vent hoses. People need to stop talking smack about the CRF which just adds to the reputation that it is a horrible bike. Yes 4-strokes will need more maintainance than a 2 smoker but the CRF is not worse than others. A lot of people say that the Yamaha's are much more reliable when it comes to this issue. However what many people fail to mention is that the valves on the yamaha's cost twice as much. :applause:??

BOOOO HAHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I have a CRF250X that has never had a problem at all. I keep it stored in a oil filled zip lock bag. I pushed it backwards out of the store, onto the trailer, and into the zip lock bag so it has negative 2 hours on it and negative miles as well. If I don't look at it, it will only cost me $500 this year.

If you ride a CRF250X hard which is required to run anywhere near the same displacement 2-stroke you are going to spend $500 a year not including oil changes to your zip lock bag every other ride.....I mean look at

To make matters worse the Honda Techs in my area couldn't drag a rope much less properly rebuild a head and if they could it would cost $45 Katrillian Dollars....that's right Katrillian.

I guess the big brag about the CRF250X is that it revs 13,000 RPMs. I calculate that's around $26 annual per RPM. WOW... These bikes were meant for race teams not the average Joe.

When Honda raced 2-strokes you could go buy a bike that would run pretty darn close to what they ran which is far above most peoples ability and if you did nothing to it all year other than twist the throttle wide open you might and I repeat might replace a plug. The CRF is no where close. I have one and I know.

Also before anyone goes to throwing stones....

I currently own (2) 2006 F12 Honda Aquatrax, (1) 2004 CRF250X, (1) 2006 TRX300EX, (1) 2001 Honda Accord EXLV6, (1) 1999 Honda CIVIC. I support Honda.

I wax my lawnmowers so don't start with I didn't do maintenance. No one is close to what I do.

Oh......by the way Honda couldn't have made it harder to check valve clearance or to adjust them. That's why most folks have valve issues.

Shim.....Sham........Shame.

BOOOO HAHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I have a CRF250X that has never had a problem at all. I keep it stored in a oil filled zip lock bag. I pushed it backwards out of the store, onto the trailer, and into the zip lock bag so it has negative 2 hours on it and negative miles as well. If I don't look at it, it will only cost me $500 this year.

If you ride a CRF250X hard which is required to run anywhere near the same displacement 2-stroke you are going to spend $500 a year not including oil changes to your zip lock bag every other ride.....I mean look at

To make matters worse the Honda Techs in my area couldn't drag a rope much less properly rebuild a head and if they could it would cost $45 Katrillian Dollars....that's right Katrillian.

I guess the big brag about the CRF250X is that it revs 13,000 RPMs. I calculate that's around $26 annual per RPM. WOW... These bikes were meant for race teams not the average Joe.

When Honda raced 2-strokes you could go buy a bike that would run pretty darn close to what they ran which is far above most peoples ability and if you did nothing to it all year other than twist the throttle wide open you might and I repeat might replace a plug. The CRF is no where close. I have one and I know.

Also before anyone goes to throwing stones....

I currently own (2) 2006 F12 Honda Aquatrax, (1) 2004 CRF250X, (1) 2006 TRX300EX, (1) 2001 Honda Accord EXLV6, (1) 1999 Honda CIVIC. I support Honda.

I wax my lawnmowers so don't start with I didn't do maintenance. No one is close to what I do.

Oh......by the way Honda couldn't have made it harder to check valve clearance or to adjust them. That's why most folks have valve issues.

Shim.....Sham........Shame.

Another one of those i never change my air filter or oil guys. I race Harescrambles and put my 06 250x through its paces. One full season on it now and the valves are still dead on. I know sometime in the near future i will need to do the valves but very happy thus far. I change the oil every race and use Spectro full synthetic. Keep the air filter clean and you will have no issues. It's a great bike but keep in mind it is a race bike and needs regular basic maintenance. Good luck and enjoy the bike.

Wrong again........FlameAChewsAzz. I'll tell you what I'll do. I'll go take a photo of anything thing mechanical that I have and I'll put it up against anything that you have......heck you can go buy something new and whatever you pick of mine will be better kept and cleaner than anything you own or can go buy.

Here's a list choose one.

25 year old Homelite XL chainsaw

10 year old Lawn Boy 2-stroke lawnmower

8 year old John Deere riding Lawnmower

All of the previous Honda items that I mentioned.

I don't service my air filters....I throw them away and buy new ones. If you wax your push lawnmower you are getting close to how anal I am about maintenance. I also do it all myself....I'm a mechanical engineer so I understand tolerances and procedures.....cause I write them. If it's this difficult and expensive to me I can only imagine what the rest of the world is doing. This helps explain the great resale value of these bikes.

ploflin1

Listing the toys you own bear no relevance to what we're talking out. No one gives a shit what you own. We're talking about a specific bike, not your lawnmower, not your car, not your chainsaw or your bloody John Deere. Your argument is about as sound as building a house without mortar. They are entirely different machinery of all ages designed solely for each individual job or task - maintenance varies. I don't wax my British Hayter mower, 11 years on, on original wheels, still running strong.

Is it fair to compare a 1988 Landy Defender with a current top-fuel dragster? Yeah, it's got four wheels, but does it really matter?

A CRF250X is high maintenance and expensive. It's not a John Deere that's more that capable of out-living you.

That is it in a nutshell.

It's not a CR, it's not a 2-stroke. You've got one, you know that as well as I do. If you aren't happy or whinging about the cost, sell it. Duh.

Now Zred-Bull-zHit.....just because you blow....I mean owe.....doesn't mean everyone else does. I was making a point that I take care of my stuff regardless of the make, model, or year which was questioned. I'll use smaller words so you understand. My overly expensive $75ancient chain saw toy is in better condition than many new bikes. Have someone read the entire post SLOWLY and you might be able to understand. When questioned I answer with facts as opposed to guessing. Now back on task. The original question was "Should I be Worried" in regards to high maintenance of a CRF250X. The writer was instructed that this is a low maintenance bike. If you agree with this statement you are an ID-10-T. Have someone explain this to you as well. These bikes are anything but low maintenance.

In regards to Busted Bones comment.....you didn't pay attention either. Have someone read it to you slowly. MEASURE AND ADJUST" valve clearance. I didn't say "MEASURE ONLY". Yep....there's nothing to measuring and adjusting, Shutoff fuel, remove seat, remove tank, clean entire top area of engine, remove head/valve cover, remove side o-ring cover, place engine at top dead center.....oops 180 degrees off, rotate engine 180 degrees, buy extra long feeler gage (or remove engine) to use shorter gauge, check clearances, document clearances, oops RS intake is tight, remove cam tensioner, remove cam caps, removecam buckets, don't drop shims............need I go on..........

The point is it takes time to "MEASURE AND ADJUST" this design as opposed to a rocker arm that has the tappet on the end of the rocker arm like a lot of engines have.

Now I apologize that I upset anyone by not writing my previous responses slower.

Now let's all play pretty and I will make the assumption that we all agree that compared to anything else short of a Formula 1 McClaren these bikes are not simple and do require more maintenance than previous bikes. If you will read my previous posts you will see this is exactly what I have said and I have answered the original post question.

ehh I did miss that, however I belive shimming is a waste of time unless it is your only option. It creates more headache and lasts maybe 50 to 100 miles. I do agree they can take alot of maintenance but that is usually caused by a lack of it earlier. Interesting how insulting you are to anyone who questions you

Busted Bones.....I do apologize for my comments to you. I was a little pizzzed with the other guy who didn't pay attention and I took it out on you. He got what he deserved and you didn'nt deserve it you just missed what I had written. So please accept my apology. As stated earlier I am just trying to inform someone (the original poster) who is new to motorcycles that the CRF250X or R is a complicated bike. It's a great bike but certainly not for everyone, especially someone new to bikes. Most folks when asked would feel that normal maintenance consists of the following:

Air Filter, Oil and oil filter, suspension lubrication, overall lubrication of cables etc.....and occassionally valves. As you know the valves have to be kept up with and if not it's going to get expensive and if you do it yourself you need some skills and tools. Most people don't own and can't read a micrometer and most wouldn't know one if it hit them in the head. While not an overly sophisticated or difficult tool it is above a lot of folks......and is needed with the shims if they have worn the print off. Once again I apologize and hopefully no harm....no foul.

• Like 1

No harm no foul, just an observation. I know how frustrating things can get when youre trying to help but your intentions are thrown in the trash. However Id try to avoid getting worked up alot, because someone may take offense and cause alot of problems for you later on like what happened to Bubba scrub. He said his opinion, a person tried to discredit him and it started a 12 page flame war with him being banned.

A two-stroke means more frequent top ends. As long as you change the oil, oil filter, air filter and maybe tires and plugs (on the CRF250x) thats all you'll get by doing that for a season as long as it has SS valves. At the end of the season put in a new top end and maybe a crank.

Untrue. First of all with proper maintainance IE changing the oil and keeping the filter cleaned and oiled you will not have problems. Secondly I can do a top end job on a CRF for $355 your piston and rings will most likely go before the top end does if you give it the love it needs. Thats only $100 dollars for a OEM piston kit. Another thing that I see as a major reason for premature valve failure is the vent hoses tend to suck in a lot of dirt which can make it's way to your intake valves. Quick and easy solution to this would be a vent hose kit from PC Racing that puts a filter on the vent hoses. People need to stop talking smack about the CRF which just adds to the reputation that it is a horrible bike. Yes 4-strokes will need more maintainance than a 2 smoker but the CRF is not worse than others. A lot of people say that the Yamaha's are much more reliable when it comes to this issue. However what many people fail to mention is that the valves on the yamaha's cost twice as much. :applause:??

Do you even have your bike yet?:banghead: