08 hop up's

All of those things work great together, but that probably isn't an option money wise. First I would say get an exhaust. Next I would say cams. Cams really shine wih an exhaust that breathes right. High compression pistons are nice for more low end, but don't go too high or you can end up losing power everywhere. Head work is nice, but a bit pricey for the benefits IMO. If you have the money, then head work will help. Ignitions are also very expensive, but can make a difference depending on the bike. Another thing that has great bang for the buck is oxygenated fuel.

Whats the best hop up you can do for the 08 450f - apart from the obvious exhaust!!!

whats peoples ideas on,

A- cams

B- ignitions

C- high comp pistons

D- Head work.

Might make for an intresting thread.

ride hard!!

mark.

Hi Mark...I am not trying to be a wise guy. As far as the bike goes a pipe will do the job. Additionally, there is no substitute for gearing. Gearing is probably the single most overlooked "hop up" or modification. You should always try re-gearing before wasting money on cams pistons etc. All that being said, there really is no hop-up like "seat-time" and practice! This is the single greatest guarantee to make your bike faster by tomorrow!

Hi Mark...I am not trying to be a wise guy. As far as the bike goes a pipe will do the job. Additionally, there is no substitute for gearing. Gearing is probably the single most overlooked "hop up" or modification. You should always try re-gearing before wasting money on cams pistons etc. All that being said, there really is no hop-up like "seat-time" and practice! This is the single greatest guarantee to make your bike faster by tomorrow!

no probs - been racing long enough to know this. but you are right. we have tried playing with the gearing, and ended up back at stock!!

what were lookin for is more grunt off the start, and more torque in the deep sand.

i have the white brothers slip on, the stock header with the"bomb" seems to work good.

im thinking of a cam on the intake side. dont know whether to go for a crower , a hot cam or a high comp piston.

im really open to suggestions.

no probs - been racing long enough to know this. but you are right. we have tried playing with the gearing, and ended up back at stock!!

what were lookin for is more grunt off the start, and more torque in the deep sand.

i have the white brothers slip on, the stock header with the"bomb" seems to work good.

im thinking of a cam on the intake side. dont know whether to go for a crower , a hot cam or a high comp piston.

Have heard about a lot of bad news coming through relative to the Hot Cam. Dunno how true it is but valve to piston clearance has been an issue with a few guys. Have heard good and bad but the bad is significant enough that I would do some serious digging first if I were considering the Hot Cam. I might lean to high comp piston for torque along with a little headwork.

Whats the best hop up you can do for the 08 450f - apart from the obvious exhaust!!!

whats peoples ideas on,

A- cams

B- ignitions

C- high comp pistons

D- Head work.

Might make for an intresting thread.

ride hard!!

mark.

DRD and RHC can help you spend $$$ on this. I recommend them both for matching correct components. DRD just had a nice write up in MXA for his 450 and what works

Have heard about a lot of bad news coming through relative to the Hot Cam. Dunno how true it is but valve to piston clearance has been an issue with a few guys. Have heard good and bad but the bad is significant enough that I would do some serious digging first if I were considering the Hot Cam. I might lean to high comp piston for torque along with a little headwork.

i e-mailed hot cams and it seems thet dont do a cam for the 08 yet, so this is prob why there are issues.

im gonna go for a high comp piston and a crower cam i guess, in both the 450f and just a cam in the 250f

this mated with a vortex ign should give me some good power. on the 450 i have a white brothers slip on, and the 250f a full cairolli leo vince system.

hopefully i will get them down to the dyno when the parts are fitted and post some runs up.

I ride in deep sand too...so if you find a mod that works good for that please let me know. Although, I personally have no experience with hot cams, my friends who have tried them indicated to me that they are not that good.

I didn't want to start another thread about a similar subject, so I will ask here about hop-ups for someone who is not a horsepower freak (not that that's a bad thing ? ). My plan would be to follow the recent suggestions in MXA and add a heavier flywheel:

1. Change front tire model

2. Change rear tire width

3. Enzo tuned suspension

4. DR.D radiator lowering kit

5. DR.D exhaust system (only because it is needed for the rad lowering kit)

6. GYTR 9oz flywheel

Is there anything I'm missing for a dependable, good handling MX bike?

Windseeker,

I don't think it is absolutely needed, but along with other small things like dropping the fork tubes a little and keeping the rear axle back, it can help a bike that gives up some turning precision to the CRF, RMZ and KXF gain a little in the corners, for very little money spent.

?

Gray,

I'm working on the bar thing now. I have a few sets of Renthal Twinwalls waiting for testing down at the local dealer.

The Hot Cams are designed to be safe with stock components. High compression pistons shouldnt be an issue either. There isnt any valve to piston issues with the cam, unless of course, there is an installation issue with the timing. Clearance should be checked with any compression change, but the valve reliefs in high comp pistons should be as safe as the stock piston.

i e-mailed hot cams and it seems thet dont do a cam for the 08 yet, so this is prob why there are issues.

im gonna go for a high comp piston and a crower cam i guess, in both the 450f and just a cam in the 250f

this mated with a vortex ign should give me some good power. on the 450 i have a white brothers slip on, and the 250f a full cairolli leo vince system.

hopefully i will get them down to the dyno when the parts are fitted and post some runs up.

The 08 Yz cams are in the works. The earlier ones dont do much for the 08, so a new set is coming, but there arent any clearance issues.

I had very noticable gains by changing the main jet. I experimented and went up 1 size at a time and looked for performance gains and losses. I am currently at 4 sizes larger and the only reason that I stopped here is that is the largest size I had. BTW, I did all this with the stock pipe. I recently put on a DrD pipe and noticed that the pipe cleaned up some 1/8 to 1/4 jetting issues. I plan on getting a few size larger main jets to continue my experiment esp now that i have the pipe.

• 2 weeks later...
Bars to fit you, and the standard "dump the rear chain before it destroys everything it touches" warning.

Just returning to this issue again.

Are there main simple rules to the HB setup - or is it just the "feel"?

"Bars to fit" - is is shoulder width thing? rise or smth else? Stock bars are rather wide for me (if i put my hands on it with my eyes closed) and cause I m installing Scotts sub mount the HB will go up 4-5 cm (I usually bought the highest possible bars for woods riding).

Here is what my bike has:

1 bigger on the main jet

carb mod (wiring the accel. pump)

Two Brothers exhaust system (go to your local dealer and ask to see these in the Tucker Rocky books, and read the gains....7.1 Hp at 5600RPMs and 15% more at 32-5200)

JM Racing Suspension

Engine Ice (def. throw some in there. the cooler the bike runs, the more efficient it will be)

Tamer Holeshot Device

Push Button Bleeder Valves for the forks

Ozz Mod numbers

Custom Humble Kawasaki graphics (I bought the bike then got a job at a Kawasaki Dealership. Oops!)

On the way:

Dunlop 756 Front and rear

ScaryFast Power Now Wing for the carb

ScaryFast Accel. Pump cover.

Moose Radiator Gaurds

gas cap

What may happen after:

Rims/hubs

sprockets

misc. bling

decal works Numbers

Big Gun rev limiter