2008 FE550 q'

Got a friend shopping for a bike this year. There are three different ones, this being one of them.

Does anyone know if the 08 FE550's are or can be made CA street legal? If so, how much extra?

If legal, what would be the longest distance on the road these bikes should travel at one time without taking a break? I know these machines are not exactly a TE610, but seeing what they're capable of.

Thanks....

Just got wind from a reliable dealer that these 550's are red sticker on the 08's. So no way on CA street legal. Oh well. We'll definitely need a green sticker bike. This sucks, why would Berg sell a red sticker bike?! WEAK!!

The Husabergs have never been street legal. Yes, some guys slipped their bikes by - but that's true of a lot of other dirt bikes as well. Husabergs have had Green stickers in the past but no plate. The 2008 bikes are Red stickers because of some of the new requirements. The requirements are more stringent than in past years. Apparently, KTM decided that the Husaberg line was for racing only. :applause:

That does suck, but I wouldn't blame KTM. They may have been foolish not to at least make the Bergs green sticker compliant, but the law is the lame part of that equation.:applause: I miss riding in California, but not living there.

You can just blame your laws, all the Bergs can be registered in Australia:ride:

we can ride CR500 on the road , legal ~ in AUS

Thanks guys for more info. KTM does have the ability to make these green sticker compliant, they obviously just chose not to. This will definitely hurt sales in CA!

If I can buy a Husky 4 stroke racing machine with green sticker, but not a Berg, we got issues.

The laws are obviously lame, but it's still in KTM's control to comply or not comply.

KTM's loss in the end.....for people that need that compliance.

And I was really looking forward to riding one of these biotchhhhhhes!! Damn. :applause:

word is only three (3) 2008 husabergs have been sold in the whole USA so far. KTM has dropped a lot of loyal Husaberg dealers too. Something's up and not all is well. Don't be so sure of that 2009 model. If it's a racing red sticker, none will sell in California.....but KTM don't care I guess.

word is only three (3) 2008 husabergs have been sold in the whole USA so far. KTM has dropped a lot of loyal Husaberg dealers too. Something's up and not all is well. Don't be so sure of that 2009 model. If it's a racing red sticker, none will sell in California.....but KTM don't care I guess.

Actually, Berg sales are up in North America compared to this time last year. I am a small HSB dealer in Canada and I have sold 5 08s so far this year and I know some dealers in Western Canada have sold over 12 08s so far this model year. And dont forget that most of Canada is under 2ft of snow and the riding season doesnt start for another 2 months.

The gas tank is the reason for the red sticker. KTM and many other bike manufacturers are having problems with all their bikes as well as the current tanks "breath" fumes out of them.

The reason that a lot of dealers dropped Berg is that they did not meet KTMs financial requirements to secure a line of credit with GE.

The dealer in my side of canada has sold 8 2008 bergs already. I thought KTM did not really care about the US and Canada because their sales are higher in Europe?

I wish I knew what KTM was up to with its test bed brand Berg in the US.

Really, just when I started feeling confident about the bike's mechanical reliability, things start getting more difficult, i.e red sticker, dropping good dealers, etc.

What's next?!

Not cool. :smirk:

I wish I knew what KTM was up to with its test bed brand Berg in the US.

Really, just when I started feeling confident about the bike's mechanical reliability, things start getting more difficult, i.e red sticker, dropping good dealers, etc.

What's next?!

Not cool. :smirk:

If the red sticker in 08 does not affect you and you buy an 08, then you'll have a good reliable machine like my 06 or any of the newer bergs. regarding the big pciture.......I would say, wait one year for the 2009 model....and see waht happens. If they get kickin good with it fine, if they ignore some long time dealers..or it's red sticker or something else funky ..then yeah I'll be like you.......questioning the future.