ignition questions

Anyone know which ignitions will fit my 1990 510? I have the crap sem and know they made ducati after 94? and kokusan after that. Do most husky 4 stroke stators and ignitions cross over? I looked at microfische and the numbers are all different, but I know husky offers an upgrade for my bike which is ducati.

I thought i had heard that many early ignitions and later are the same.

Anyone?

I found a 94 wxc 350 ignition, will it fit my 90 wxe 510 ?

And what do I need from the bike for swap over? Stator, cdi,flywheel,? ignition box? is there a separate ignition box on the 94? My 90 has the cdi in the coil/

anyone?

Thanks

I am Asshat

They moved over to the Ducati one in 1995 model year.

The WXC 350 should have the SEM. All you need to do is change the stator & flywheel.CDI/Coil unit is the same.

If you get a bike with a Ducati ignition you will need to change the whole lot

Taliesin

Thanks The guy thinks its a ducati model. Has a black cdi box? Which I don't believe mine does. Maybe it was upgraded at some point? Anyhow you said upgrade the whole lot. What is the whole lot? I don't want to get half of what I need. Is this upgrade worth it if I get it cheap?

Thanks

asshat

Taliesin

Thanks The guy thinks its a ducati model. Has a black cdi box? Which I don't believe mine does. Maybe it was upgraded at some point? Anyhow you said upgrade the whole lot. What is the whole lot? I don't want to get half of what I need. Is this upgrade worth it if I get it cheap?

Thanks

asshat

My experience was that the SEM unit was way easier to kick start even if the ducati unit is slightly more reliable. Replace the SEM part you need and have fun. The 91-94 SEM will work fine although it may have a extra wire.

Rancher man

thanks for that. Your the first to say that when the s.e.m work as designed . they work well. Which I am glad to hear. Maybe I should forget the Ducati ignition.

I actually sent my original s.e.m to spain to have it rewound by a guy who does husabergs

(which are also famous for failure, s.e.m also, read the husaberg org forum, one of the worst problems of the bikes is the ignition) He also does Motoplat,, Beta rev 3, Beta Techno, Ducati Ignition, Husky 410, Sherco Ignition, Husky 610, Maico, Husky Motoplat Stators, ktm

http://www.uk-motoplat.com/home.html

People who have had it done claim his rewinds are much better, and start easier. Read HOT and COLD. He claims its not the stator it self but the wire they used ( lousy grade) and there potting and grounding procedure which allows moisture in and corrodes the wire. The sealant they used also would not handle the heat. He uses a very high temp epoxy, rewinds with best grade wire, fastens the ground properly and from what i have read on the Husaberg forum, no one has been disappointed and claim his start easier and don't fail. He actually soaked a stator in his pool for a more than a week and took it out and it has run ever since. He also stated that he has wound more than 1000 stators and has only had 3 failures, all mechanical not electrical.

I am still waiting for mine to arrive, he mailed it out a week ago. I will report as I get it. I am gone for a month so I won't be able to report until I return. Unfortunately with the dollar drop, this option is not as good a deal as it once was say a year ago, but still less than half of what a new upgrade is, and has the high output which the S.E.M originally had. Of which the lighting side never failed.

Anyhow thanks for taking the time to reassure me, this Husky thing is new. I bought a very clean low hr 1990 510 not running, and this is supposedly why. Hopefully.

Thanks again

I am Asshat

I thought they switched ignitions in '94:excuseme: but I have a bad memory. Another benefit of the SEM is that they put out more juice than the Ducati unit. If your bike has dual sport accessories or big headlight(s) the SEM puts out 130 watts if memory servs. I had a '93 with a baja designs kit and could run high watt headlight bulbs. My '95 originally didn't have enough power to keep the battery up, so I had it rewound and it could barely keep the battery charged with a 35w bulb.

Old school ATKs had SEM ignitions and seem to be pretty reliable and put out 160 watts stock.:applause: