Ticking when hot update.....

Well, i finally got around to checking the valve clearances today.

The intake left and right were both 0.10 and exhaust left and right were both 0.20. I know this is on the minimum tight side which i hope is ok? but as they expand as they get hotter i cant see that its the valves causing the ticking.

I also checked the ACCT which is in gread order as well as the cam chain which seems to be adjusted nicely and correctly.

So, after reassembling i fired her up and all sounds perfect until after a 5 mile blast to get things nice and hot and hey presto, ticking like a bomb.

What sould i check next guys?

i bought feeler gauges this weekend. will be checking up on the clearance of my 05 sm sometime soon. just a bit of ticking. only when hot.

If you mean "like a bomb" = loud then speak to a pro wrench.

i dont know what to check next...

After all this ticking talk I got mine good and hot and stopped at the dealer to have a mechanic listen to it. I trust them and they've done a good job for me in the past. He said it was all normal and sounded fine-just the regular sound of the valves opening & closing on a four-stroker.

He agreed that slightly loose is better than slightly tight and that a little looseness will not cause catastrophic failure whehreas too tight possibly could.

Finally, he said if it was far enough out of spec on the loose side you'd know it cause it would be distinctly louder and you'd lose power.

I'd say get a pro to listen to it/check it and if they say its OK, then ride.

My friend had the same kind of problem on his SV650.

Removed the ACCT and reset it, and it stopped the ticking for a few miles. Then it was right back again. I personally thought it was the ACCT and cam chain.

ACCT's (the modern ones) over tension the chain as they are sprung loaded so constantly adding more tension. Most of the time more than you need.

Vavle clearance sounds okay ish...

Depends on how you mean when you say the intakes were 0.1

Was the 0.1 a go and the 0.2 a no go? Same for the exhaust (with 0.2 and 0.3) ?

If so thats fine! and they are perfectly in spec.

If i was you i would invest in an MCCT and avoid the potential destruction the ACCT could cause.

Maybe replacing the cam chain at the same time wouldnt harm!

Well the valve clearance on the intake was a nice snug 0.10 A 0.15 would not fit at all and the exhaust was nice and snug at 0.2 and 0.25 would not fit. Well i say snug, i mean just slipped in nice and easy.

As for the ACCT i think changing to a MCCT is a good idea but dont get me wrong, i dont know much about engines but surely as the ACCT spring gets older the tension would decrease? And i still dont see how the tensioner and chain could only make noise on a hot engine?

P.S i did reset the tensioner on inspection and unfortunately that made no difference.

but surely as the ACCT spring gets older the tension would decrease

Not!....The spring in the ACCT is not going to loose tension! The racheting design of the current ACCT will apply constant tension to your chain....stretching the chain over time.....some people have had their chains reach max stretch after 2500-3000 miles while others get 10-15k out of theirs.

I installed a MCCT after about 100 miles...adjusted once and have not touched since....2500 miles logged

Well the valve clearance on the intake was a nice snug 0.10 A 0.15 would not fit at all and the exhaust was nice and snug at 0.2 and 0.25 would not fit. Well i say snug, i mean just slipped in nice and easy.

As for the ACCT i think changing to a MCCT is a good idea but dont get me wrong, i dont know much about engines but surely as the ACCT spring gets older the tension would decrease? And i still dont see how the tensioner and chain could only make noise on a hot engine?

P.S i did reset the tensioner on inspection and unfortunately that made no difference.

agreed, if you had the opposte loose end spec I'd expect some tick.

The weather is cold right now, it may be an thick oil thing

One time I ran a 20 w50 in mild temps, my bike quacked like a duck, clack clack clack .