Swingarm chain slider

My chain slider is shot. I of course have a nice groove in the bottom of my swingarm but it doesn't appear to be deep enough to really warrant concern.

I do need a new chain slider though. It doesn't appear that TM Design works makes one for the DRZ. I searched and found a triton at the TT store.

What is better? OEM? Triton? Others?

It also appears that my uses of a 13 tooth combined with my fat ass was the cause... guess I should have paid more attention when I was swapping sprockets.

All you other fat asses out there might want to double check yours if its not part of your normal routine.

I have been running a 13t now for a while and have not noticed any problems. I will pay special attention to it, especially when the 12t goes on. While I don't necessarily think I have a fat ass....it is the terrain that dictates my need for a 13t, not my svelt self. :applause:

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't put the new one on yet, but I'm almost positive it will go back on without removing the bolt. At least thats my plan.

However, if you haven't had that bolt out in awhile, I'd take it out anyways and grease the hell out of it. Mine was a sum bitch to get out and I had it out a year ago and greased it.

I haven't put the new one on yet, but I'm almost positive it will go back on without removing the bolt. At least thats my plan.

However, if you haven't had that bolt out in awhile, I'd take it out anyways and grease the hell out of it. Mine was a sum bitch to get out and I had it out a year ago and greased it.

We was looking at the swingarm sliders the other day on our SM's, and it will definitely be a tight squeeze to get it off w/o removing the swingarm. I've never done it, but it looks like you'd at least have to remove the c/s sprocket. My buddy reckoned it could be done w/o removing anything. :confused:

Not trying to change this thread, but am I seeing your rear tire correctly? Do you get the bike leaned over that far? Man, I am in awe of you young sprouts. :confused::excuseme:

That tire was a 160 that hit the chain sitting still. I added the SM chain guide (without removing anything else), & cut some rubber off the tire to see if the chain still hit (which it did). Now I have a 150 & offset my rim 1/4 turn & everythings fine.

While we're on the topic. I was going to do my swing arm chain buffer as its getting a bit worn and I have chain rub problems, But I also figured I'd replace the other chain buffer in the back. Does anybody have a recommendation for that? Lots of aftermarket parts out there, just wondering if anybody had good results with any of them...

Are you asking about the rollers? or the guide at the rear sprocket?

The chain guide can be replaced as just the wear block with new or aftermarket stuff, or as a complete assembly.

I have used the aftermarket inserts from Moose, they worked fine. I bent the guide so replaced the whole assembly with one from Fredette, it has help up just fine, but is starting to look like crap.. dinged and scratched..Thinking I'll go with a replacement assembly from TM next time.

Mmm, well truth is I’ve never done it any other way. It’s a simple deal to remove, get a good look at the swing arm , and suspension bushings, greasing the same,,, So that’s the only way I’ve replaced the slider. Never occurred to me to try and wiggle it in their past the countershaft, frame, ect ect.

still wondering if the swingarm bolt has to come out before the front chain slider has to be replaced.

Mmm, well truth is I’ve never done it any other way. It’s a simple deal to remove, get a good look at the swing arm , and suspension bushings, greasing the same,,, So that’s the only way I’ve replaced the slider. Never occurred to me to try and wiggle it in their past the countershaft, frame, ect ect.

yeah, I guess it couldnt hurt to grease the bolt and bushings at the same time. I guess the motor wont sag since the other two bolts hold it up.

Are you asking about the rollers? or the guide at the rear sprocket?

The chain guide can be replaced as just the wear block with new or aftermarket stuff, or as a complete assembly.

I have used the aftermarket inserts from Moose, they worked fine. I bent the guide so replaced the whole assembly with one from Fredette, it has help up just fine, but is starting to look like crap.. dinged and scratched..Thinking I'll go with a replacement assembly from TM next time.

I'll probably do the rollers while I'm at it, but i was talking about the rear sprocket guide. I guess I'll look into whats available as a kit since I'll be doing it all.

• 2 months later...
I installed an SM chain slider. I had to notch it out for the weld on the swing arm. I just wanted to try and help with chain rub. I guess it helped alittle.

DSC04569.jpg

So the chain guide for the SM will bolt straight up to the S swingarm?